MIA Cleaner Shrimp?

Reaction score
Hello. For some odd reason I cant seem to find one of my cleaner shrimps (A very large one at that)... Its been MIA for about a day now. I see a shedded skin on the substrate but no shrimp anywhere in the tank? There are currently no fish in my display tank so predator fish are ruled out... Only thing i have that i think could eat it would be my BTA, but I highly doubt that aswell as its less then 10cm... Unless this thing has burrowed into the substrate or retracted into a miniscule hole in the rock (which i highly doubt) I dont know, any ideas?...

They hide for a day or two after shedding for the new shell to harden...
Give it another day before you get stressed...
You sure it is a skin and not a body? :whistling:

Yea... But they've shed before. Never taken this long to re-appear though :/. And it is worrying me a bit coz im not keen to lose it... or spend another R120+ for one. Atleast my smaller one is still around... *touch wood*

try making a type of crab trap. ( tall glass with the piece of fish behind a small rock in the glass)
Put the trap up close to where you think he might be hiding. If he is there he will not resist the smell of food and will probably come out. I know that shrimp cannot resist crab traps as the little buggers gave me such shit when i was trying to catch a crab even though one of them had just shed. try see if it works. remember if you going to put a big piece of food also do a water change. but if he is still alive he should come out very quicky i think.

My other one went MIA this morning, or half of it anyways... I finally now know why my tanks been haywire/upside down for the last 2 months, stressed fish and inverts dying. I feel a song coming up "oh mister Mantis. Such a sexy ninja u are. Hiding unseen untill today. Stressing my fish and eating my shrimps -Repeat. Over it...

Yea... switched the light on this morning it DARTED from the dead shrimp to its hole behind the reef. Little shit... Cant believe i never saw it untill today. It was green and had some red colorization to the front of it (5-10CM). Need to go hunting tonight after work...

Don't dispose of it, he maybe worth something

Yea dont worry after all the money his cost me i put him in my brothers predator tank with the +/- 30cm LionFish. Lets c if his got the guts to take on this big boytjie.

a 10cm mantis could cause some serious damage to your fingers, watch out! :)

a 10cm mantis could cause some serious damage to your fingers, watch out! :)
Yip, that's why they are more commonly known as thumb splitters. Give it half a chance and it will split open your thumb or finger right down to the bone. Check it out. This guy got off easy.

148d2d930f3e64.jpg

A Load of Learnin' About Mantis Shrimps by James Fatherree - Reefkeeping.com

Back
Top Bottom