MH vs Energy Savers

Reaction score
I currently have about 10 T8 flouresent tubes on my system of various kalvin ranging from 20000k to 10000k. In addition I have a energy saver twin spotlight of about 23w (energy saver speak). I was thinking of replacing the energy saver spot and 2 T8 tubes with 2 or 3 150w metal halide pendents. Would this be and improvement given that the MH wattage is basically the same as the energy saver and T8 i will be removing. This may be a silly question since i'm sure that MH is always better than energy saver, but before I spend mega $$$ what do you guys think.

Hi Amalick - you will notice a HUGE improvement, as MH gives FAR deeper penetration into the water, and also supplies a FAR FAR FAR bigger PAR rating (photosynthetic activated radiation) than T8's.....

I would DEFINITELY suggest going to Metal Halides.....

You will literally be blown away when you see the difference between T8's and Metal Halides. Just bear in mind that your water temperature may increase with the use of Metal Halides so best to have them about 20cm's above the water surface and have a fan blowing across to help dissipate the heat, if you've got them in a hood.

You can DIY them to make it a bit cheaper as well.

Also your corals will need some time to adjust to the extra light, so best to either just switch them on for an hour a day and increase it to 2 hours on the 2nd day, 3 hours on the 3rd day and so on. Or if you want to get fancy you can rig them up so that you can raise and lower them.

Went the hole hog

OK - You guys got me sold so I went to Sam's and blew the last of the bonus. Spent about R7000 and brought these puppies home. Two times complete aquamedic Ocean lights setups. Each has a 150w MH + 2 x 24w T5 tubes.

Should I just rip out all the old T8's or would leaving one or two of them still make a difference ? I have the space..
13924958f1e0b7650.jpg

Rip them out. Congratulations. Stunning lights. Shorten the photo period or raise from the water surface. Over a period of twoo weeks lower them to optimum height

Nice toys :D

Throw the T8's away, although, on a 2m tank you will probably need one more as each MH covers roughly about 2ft, so perhaps keep some of the current lights just in case.

it will be a big shock to the corals, the light intensities are that far apart that the corals will bleach and suffer some serious damage sometimes

Yes. Big time
Yip, you run the risk of potentially killing your corals if you put the new MH's on full blast straight away. Do what sunburst suggested, take your time, acclimatise the corals to the new lights over a period of about 2 weeks.

The difference between a MH and a T8 is like comparing a candle to the sun. Don't rush it.:)

Cant really adjust the height much

Ok I get it don't burn the poor fellows to death:nono:. One Small problem. THe highest distance I can raise it from the wtaer is about 27cm:(. Based on the reading on this thread so far, my only alternative to allow some time for the corals to adjust would be to reduce the photo perioid to about 2 hours per day. Threafter lengthinig it by 1/2 hour a day until I hit the full 12 hour per day cycle. Is my reasoning sound or do I have a huge problem because I cant adjust the height any further away.

Do they need to warm up

Excuse the noob. Do these MH lights need to warm up or something. THe globe just sits there witha blueish flame in the centre making a buzzing sound and not really lighting up. I did all the wiring OK its kinda simple. Live, Nuetral Earth, Plug and go. Whats up, do I have bad lights ???

I'm blind

On My Gosh I'm blind. Now I see what you guys mean these things are mega bright:thumbup:. THe water seems to shimmer which it never did before:)

My mother always taught me not to stare into the sun, well now I didn't listen. I will definately reduce the photo period to 1 hour and increase by 1 hour per day over 12 days.

i bought a similar set, but was at builders today and saw that mh globes 20000k 150w were quite cheep, R160 so going to add more to my 4ft

Back
Top Bottom