MH lighting on 100l tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by rudeboy1, 30 Nov 2011.

1. rudeboy1

rudeboy1

Good Day

Can someone please advise on how high i would need to put a 150w 20000k MH on my 90cm (100l) tank? I would not like to cook my fish and coral! Would it be alright to put on my tank or should i rather stick wit t5's?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Why do you want a halide? In a shallow tank (I guess your tnk is shallow by the volume and length) decent t5 globes will pack enough punch to grow and colour up sps corals.
    Rather get your hands on thre to four ati t5 globes with decent reflectors, you wont be sorry. As far as I know, 39watt T5 globes should be just short of 90cm, so they should fit quite well.
    If you still want to go with a halide, I'd say no less than 16cm from the surface.
    At that height, you will not get an even spread of light with a halide, so again, stick with decent T5 lamps. How wide is the tank?

4. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

The tank's measurements are 90x35x35. Its not a very large tank. The reason i ask is because i can get a 150w MH 10000k and 20000k with ballasts for R 175 each. I know they generate alot of heat and suck power. I would like to keep clams and anemones! How many t5's would you advise for them?

5. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Unless you have a decent size sump, I would advise you proceed with caution regarding types of anemones you try and keep. I am not a fan of small tanks...... That being said, you should be able to fit 4 x 39 watt tubes in decent gull wing reflectors over the tank. With livestock raised on structure, this should more than suffice.

6. finrott

finrott

unless you are going to install a chiller i wouldnt even consider using a MH.... As for anemones i suggest Entacmaea quadricolor... any of the others you gonna have issues

7. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

A Beginner's Guide to Keeping Anemones - Anemones

8. archiecrain

archiecrain

Im running two 150 Halides over my tank 45x45x45.....One runs 10 hours and the other for 5 hours. I found one didnt give me enough light for my SPS corals (20K BLV bulbs)

I have an open top rimless setup, with one cooling fan running whilst the lights are on and I have temps stable at 25 even on the hottest days.

Depends what you want to keep I guess, but what Im saying is its not that difficult mainatain temps etc with halides over a small tank, only thing to be careful of is acclimating new corals to the intense light.

I think DIY T5 is messy more often than not, depends on your DIY skills

Last edited: 1 Dec 2011
  9. 2balive

2balive

I run a 150w MH light 3 cm above the water on a 130l, 50cm deep tank. Stunning light levels and think I can grow any corals (from a light perspective) with it.

This is a lot of light and I have had issues acclimatizing corals to it.

You have to invest into a oversized chiller if you want to do something like this, even with two fans in the light unit the chiller runs regularly, irrespective of the outside temperature.

I have not experimented with LED or plasma, but love the intensity and the shimmer effect the MH produced (compare to T5).

10. Submariner

Submariner

Led give the light spread of t5 with the metal halide shimmer

Recent Posts