MH issues - Advice needed

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Albert Terego, 4 Nov 2012.

1. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

Hi All,

I have a Aquaria Lighting unit @Aquaria-SA - 1x250MH and 4 x 24W zT5's.

Last week I came home to find the MH off. First thought it may be the timer but checked it and all was fine. Tried switching it on again and nothing.

Then checked to see if the bulb had blown maybe. Took out the globe, checked it and it seemed fine. Put it back in and switched it on and it lit up. So switched it off, hung the unit again and switched it back on - no light.

Took it off again - checked it and it worked. I never let it run for more than a few seconds (10 secs max) when testing.

Then I hung it (again....) - it was on for about 5 minutes and then it went off again.

I don't know what to do - is the globe going, is it the ballast or something else?

Any advice welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Im no expert but sounds like the igniter or capacitor needs to be changed if its not the bulb. theyre relatively cheap and easy to replace depending on what your control gear looks like.

4. Albert Terego

Albert Terego Thread Starter

You're talking to someone that knows just about nothing about electrical.

Would the igniter or capacitor be part of/or inside the control gear and what do they look like?

5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

No worries buddy, Im no electrician either. It also depends on the age of the unit, a new unit wouldnt need these parts replaced. The control gear is usually made up of 3 parts, the ballast(big magnetic block) and the capacitor and ignite which are usually tube shaped. This is what i would do.
    1. Read the details on the parts
    2. take a pic of the wiring
    3. take the igniter down to voltex or similar and ask for a replacement

as i said this is what i would do, lets see what the experts say

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hey

well sounds like a dry connection, loose connection. test the unit off the tank and let the light run unmoved for about 10-15min to get the juices flowing... turn off, let cool for 20 min or so and try again above the tank... if it happens again then the connection between the globes and the pins is loose...
    if you can add a pic of where the globe sits i might be able to suggest a fix based on the above

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

agree with dallas, sounds like a wire parting as the unit heats up.... then not making contact again....

hope you find the fault....

8. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

u're lamp could be old. when the chemicals inside the arc tube begin to break down (usually after about 9 months) the lamp may 'cycle'.... u switch it on, it runs for awhile n then goes off, within about 12 to 18 minutes (ambient dependent) it will automatically switch back on...when this happens it's time to change u're lamp! there are too many factors which influence the life of 'hid' lamps to discuss here, suffice to say, change u're u're mh lamps every 12 months n u're tank inhabitants will love u!!

9. Albert Terego

Lamp is about 6 months old. However it does not switch on and off when in use as described above. It seems to be working only when "upside down". When I hang it suspended right side up i.e. light downwards it does not come on. Turn it on its back it comes on.

May be a loose connection. I have taken the unit to work so hopefully our electrical guys can find the fault as it is very frustrating. Will keep you posted.

10. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Isn't this unit still under warrenty?

11. Albert Terego

I am not sure what the warranty period is. I've had the unit about 6-7 months.

But I'll first try fix the problem - it does not seem too serious. I need to fix it quickly as I dont have a back-up.

12. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

good idea! as for the components, the cap is only for power factor correction, so not crucial to operation, although, should the cap blow, it can damage the circuit wiring. the ignitor and ballast should last for at least 10 years, but again, this is negatively influenced by excessive ambient temps,(32* plus).

13. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

It should be a year but speak to the supplier first befor proceeding.
    They dont like it when we fiddle with the product. generally that will void the warenty if there is any.

14. Albert Terego

Found the problem. The chocolate blocks joining the wires of the lamp holder to the control gear had melted - presumably from the heat from the lamp.

Hence why it work upside down and not correct way up as the wire then fell away from the contact.

Glad that was sorted out. Thanks for everyone's input.

15. Aquaria-SA

Aquaria-SA Sponsor

Hi there

please send me a pm or give me a call I will be happy to assist. 071 203 2879

Regards

Lawrence:thumbup:

16. Albert Terego

Thanks Lawrence but it's all sorted out now. The plastic chocolate block melted causing the wire to come loose (it may have even been that the wire was loose and this caused a short that melted the plastic).

Anyway at least it is fixed. When I do get around to it, I'd like to change the plastic chocolate block I used (all I had), for a ceramic one.

Recent Posts