MH globe repair project

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by herkie, 15 Aug 2011.

1. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

My MH light did not come on the last 2 days and I have found the metal running from inside the globe to the connector has corroded away. I think I can grind a bit of glass around the metal connector off and if I can do it the plan is as follows: I can drill a small hole through the blue part and then solder a piece of wire to the metal stub that was opened with the Dremel and then run the wire to the outside of the connector. I am fairly confident I will be able to do this but the problem I see is the heat the globe generates. Will it be enough to melt the solder?

I will order a new globe tomorrow but the coral also needs light in the meantime, do you think it is worthwhile to spend time on this globe?
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. KeeganP

KeeganP

:whistling: Good luck man

4. lIghty

lIghty

Your idea sounds good, but yes, the solder would melt!

can you not just get the blue cap to make contact with the part in the globe with just touching it, perhaps some sort of ceramic paste / glue to secure it?

If all else fails, perhaps brazing it could work, but may pop the bulb?

How old is the bulb?

5. durleo

durleo

I would say - rather get a new bulb - If the glass develops a crack and spreads with heat, you will have a huge explosion that may crack the cover glass and cause unnecessary clean up

6. herkie

herkie Thread Starter R.I.P.

About a year and it should be replaced but an extra 6 months would have been in order. I have found an old bulb that works in the garage and it makes it worse. The bulb that packed up is a 20000k BLV, the old one that works is BLV 14000k-it is ugly! Yellow!
    No more motivation needed to order a new bulb tomorrow.

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

the main thing is to have contact. i have repaired the porcelin ends of bulbs i have recieved in the past with pratleys putty.. so if you could insert a wire to make contact and then build up a new end section with pratleys it may work..

worth a try worst case scenario you got to buy a new bulb anyway... may aswell educate yourself in the process..

8. herkie

herkie Thread Starter R.I.P.

Thanks Les-I will order a new bulb tomorrow. It will be a 20000k BLV though, the difference from 14000 to 20000k is bigger than needs to be described.

What other bulbs give that same blueish kind of color?

9. durleo

durleo

Nothing for the price of BLV - Get it from lamphouse in briardene industrial park!

Recent Posts