MH causing interference

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Tremayn, 26 Jun 2011.

1. Tremayn

Tremayn

Hey guys. I just got a pair of metal halides 2nd hand. They worked fine yesterday but today when Loki was there the MH went off then the return pump restarted, he said its a brown out or something like that. Then when I unplugged it and plugged it in again there was a funny sound on the tv and only went away when I unplugged the MH. Later I plugged it again and it was fine but when the MH went off now (on a timer) it caused a "pop" sound on the tv. Whats causing this?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Casper the ghost man:lol:

Tagging along

4. Adee

Adee

run the MH off another separate wall plug point

5. maxisoft

maxisoft

Now that sounds scary... Tagging along....

6. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

:lol::lol:

7. lIghty

lIghty

Basically a dip in the voltage, this quick dip will cause the Mh to break the arc causing the light to go out.

You need to wait about 5-15 for the Mh light to cool down before trying to re-start them, it you try to re-start to soon the Igniter (Part that starts the light) will just continue to arc, and as this is high voltage it can cause interference.

is it because its and induction device, as the switch turns it off the it will arc across the contacts of the switch, this then interferes with TV, radio etc.

8. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

After the brown out I used an extension cord and hooked that to a socket on the other side of the room and then I connected the return pump, skimmer, and 3 heaters to that. Then on the other socket there is a fridge connected to it and then the flow pumps, 2x 54w T5, 2x 150w MH, 18w refugium light

So is this normal?

Thanks for the comments guys :)

9. lIghty

lIghty

Not much you can do about the dip in electricity as its from council/eskom side, unless you get an UPS with AVR but I wouldn't bother unless its happening regularly. welcome to Africa :)

probably not, unless you have very sensitive equipment, but not 100% sure.

It is common, but most manufacturer's include some sort of protect circuitry and they use decent contact matrials on their switches, I wouldn't expect to find this on those cheap R100 timers.

10. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

haha yes its a cheapo timer. So is everything ok or is there something I should do? besides not using the MH? They are just soooooo beautiful that I couldnt go back to using T5's haha..

Last edited: 26 Jun 2011
  11. AndrévN

AndrévN

Remember tremayn mh lights works from or by using a thing called an ignitor usually round or rectangular with 3 wires going into the top, and it does exacatly what it says ignites the mercury or gas inside the lamp (1000v plus)and this can cause interference espacially if it is connected to the same LIVE wire of other equipment. And if the ignitor is deteriated(im afrikaans so please if the spelling is wrong just bare with me) it will cause shit brother. Also make sure that all the earthing on your house is sound and properly bonded. But my guess its the ignitor as i am not there to test anything. ;)

Another cause which i doubt is the fact that the current circuit is being overloaded which i think is highly unlikely, but not impossible. And if you say you feed it from a plug at the back of this plug it could be fed from the same circuit buddy, its being looped. So try a different plug elsewhere that is not fed from the same breaker.

12. AndrévN

AndrévN

See why it is necessary to run these things on contactors as it draws more current than what the timer can supply LOL. But itll still not make the TV go noisy.

13. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

After the brown out I hooked up the other power draining equipment to another plug. After that the tv just made a pop sound when the MH went off. The MH are apparently 3months old and were used for 1week so apparently its basically brand new. It has radiant ballasts, not sure if its electronic or magnetic. I just PM'd the guy I bought it from to ask. They are not very big ballasts. Loki said that his MH ballast is much bigger than mine. So all the equipment is hooked up to 2 different wall sockets but in the same room

14. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

So should I get another timer? I just plug a multiplug to 1 timer and the 2 150w MHs are plugged into that multiplug

15. AndrévN

AndrévN

Nope when it breaks then get one with a contactor to control it, as the tips is not designed to handle those amps

16. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Ok will do :) .. So is there anything I have to worry about? Nothing is going to blow up?

17. AndrévN

AndrévN

You must of had a power dip by the sounds of it. So just for now check and monitor it and let us know, it is strange and uneasy to comment when one cannot see and test.

18. AndrévN

AndrévN

Nope its just interference as far as im concerned LOL

19. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Ok, hope it all stays fine :) .. Was weird. Never experienced anything like it before lol so I was concerned.. This is why Im on a forum :thumbup:

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Are both MH units plugged into the same timer?
    So at exactly the same moment both units try to create the arc?

Rather use 2 timers, 5 minutes apart.

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And check, even if you are using another wall plug, that the other wall plug is on another circuit breaker in your DB box.
    If on same circuit, then its almost like as if its on the same extension cord. With a multiplug and from there another extension cord is used to the next multiplug. But the wires are just hidden inside the wall.

Recent Posts