Mg and Ca levels

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by deadmeat2016, 4 May 2010.

1. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

im a more curious than cautious reefkeeper and i have been running my 1.2 for about a year nw and its looking great but i only recently decided to buy test kits for the first time! my calcium is at 550ppm, Mg is at 2010ppm lol, there is not cloudy water or calcium precipetating and everything is running fine and corals are happy and growing. But my question is, what is the worst thing that could happen?......

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

deadmeat. With a Ca of 550, your tank should be white. Sounds like a faulty test kit. What make did you buy? Is it possible to cross check water parameters with another test kit?

4. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

Do another test, also post pics of your tank. I assume you no algae problems. Mag is a little high but not problem, I would lower to 1800 not less. If your readings r correct then I'm very interested to know more about your tank.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Magnesium levels of 1800 is very high. It should be lowe at around 1200-1300. Magnesium is normally 3 times higher than the calcium.

6. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

Geochemistry

Right, ive revised some of my environmental geochemistry classes. Mg prevents the over precipitation of Ca and in the natural seas of the pacific the Mg levels are actually 5 times that of calcium, now why? dis-association constants, the constant for magnesium carbonate is far higher than that of calcium carbonate(1.4x10E-4 and 0.98x10E-8 respectively) meaning that magnesium can be abouts 5 times that of calcium before precipitating out of solution due to the carbonate concentration. so the equilibrium reaction of CaCO3(s) + CO2(aq) + H2O ⇋ Ca2+(aq) + 2HCO3-(aq)
    is also dependant on the carbonate concentration, the reaction for magnesium looks the same. If the concentration of the Mg is at least 3 times that of the Ca they will buffer each other before precipitating out, my calcium is really high but the magnesium is equally 3 fold that of the calcium preventing precipitation. this however makes the water very 'hard', my question is what is the worst possible thing that could happen?

7. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

Magnesium also binds with phosphate. Hard water means that the system is less susceptible to ph swing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

1) a low DO and elevated Ammonia on nitrogen cycle.

2) Are you assuming that the only carbons in sea water are Mg & Ca, and that if there are others they have no impact?

3) Please give reference to the quote of pacific sea water chemistry. re Mg 5 x Ca.

Last edited: 21 May 2010
  9. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

cation levels

im sorry dude, i said cations(positively charged ions), Mg+2, Ca+2 , and unfortunately Si+4, ect, when u mention carbons, thats a whole other ballgame. dissolved O2, i use a swembad(swimming pool) pipe for my overflow and it provides more oxygenation to the water than a midget with a super blender.

and for referencing http://www.biolbull.org/cgi/reprint/55/6/453.pdf, i read it one night an made notes, that concentration however inhibits coral abilityness lol, so although the Ca and Mg levels in plymouth are high, the water quality is too shit! :thumbup: - and sorry i meant drift waters from the pacific :(

please read thread bout my leather coral, its nearly reached that amazing reef in the sky if u get wht i mean :(

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Hmm... what is your Ammonia level?

OK Ca, Mg, N ,P and S will have little impact on that type of corals health if other corals are doing OK. So looking for water quality issues as a resolve are unlikely.

If predators and bacteria have been catered for by means of an iodine bath or TM pro coral cure dip then there are four avenues to consider.

1) Illumination
    2) water flow
    3) Warfare
    4) nutrition

To save may mean it is necessary to frag healthy portions of the coral and doing the dip thing. Then placing in QT or apart from the mother.

If you have a iodine test kit try and give the tank a dose. Do not over do it, it could wipe out your tank.

Recent Posts