Mexico oil spill

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by neo, 29 Apr 2010.

1. neo

neo

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. maj

maj

that is really sad hey,no way of really saving the parts of the ocean wher the oil has damaged thus far

4. Jaak

Jaak

Eish... That is bad news.

5. Fires

Fires

Thats not a good thing !!!:(

Last edited by a moderator: 3 Jun 2010
  6. Boegie

Boegie

Very bad.

7. Anemone

Anemone

Ummm, thats not in Mexico! LOL It is in the US and it's horrible. The latest news said they may not be able to get the leak stopped until August. They are also saying it is 24 - 48 hours from hitting the coast of Florida. A lot of livestock comes from Florida. Not good!

8. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

flip thats bad news!! hope they get it sorted out soon!

9. Anemone

Anemone

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6430AR20100531

"The Gulf spill has surpassed the Exxon Valdez disaster off Alaska in 1989 as the worst U.S. oil spill, with an estimated 12,000 to 19,000 barrels (504,000 to 798,000 gallons/1.9 million to 3 million liters) leaking per day."

Thats a whole lot of oil considering its been 44 days! :(

10. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

Not good!

11. Furbz

Furbz

whoa... hope they plug that soon. anyway of collecting the split oil on the surface of the ocean?? it is possible if they are able to collect it to separate the oil from water..
    could help slow down the effects?

12. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

F*k man, global warming is bad enough, Its such a horrible feeling knowing that human kind is causing such extra distruction, just because of stupid mistakes

Last edited: 3 Jun 2010
  13. Anemone

Anemone

It can be done but BP has done very little to clean up. BP has agreed/ordered to pay for cleanup. There have been companies out there working on the clean up and have not been paid. They won't continue to work for free for long. Its really getting ugly. In the mean time, BP continues to lie about how much oil is leaking and how they are going to handle the situation.

The BP CEO told the press that he "just wants his life back." That did not go over so well. Eleven people died in the accident, and wild live is being destroyed every second.

14. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

BP has spend over $1.0 billion to date in containing and trying to fix the spill and you say they are doing very little?

A spill caused by the Swiss firm who ownes and operates the drilling rig Ocean Horizon. BP owns the rights to the claim and hence the reason they are legally bound to fix the mess caused by their appointed contractor.

By way of illustration, how would you like it if you hired a plumber to come fix your house. In the process he burned down the complex in which you live and now you are held legally liable to rebuild everyones homes?

15. charlv

charlv

They could raise money to fix the Haiti disaster, but I don't hear of them raising hell to clean up this disaster. Why not spend as much effort and money on our nature? BP offers/ gets forced to pay but the damage is done!! When will the world learn that the ocean gives us humans life.

16. Anemone

Anemone

They have tried and failed to fix the leak. They have agreed to pay and clean up, yet failed again. They have told our government they had the means to do all. Yet we are now looking at possibly August for the leak to be stopped. $1.0 billion is peanuts in this case. This isn’t going to bring back endangered wild life. This isn’t going to help the people whose lives depend on fishing out of that ocean. There are contractors willing to help but, times are tough, people can’t work for free forever. Instead BP officials are on camera saying “I just want my life back” and “Louisiana isn’t the only place to get shrimp.”

BP has also been offered help to stop the leak, which they refused.

There have been a lot of finger pointing as to who is to blame. As you said, BP owns the rights, so they are responsible. If it is determined later on that someone else is responsible, I’m sure that will be resolved.

Not sure how this is related. A plumber has to be licensed and insured. If he causes damage he pays. If the plumber hires another company to do the work….I guess it would be the same case as BP.

How would you like it if oil was washing up on your beaches and the only one doing anything about it were locals and they were not keeping up? What if your family depended on those waters for survival?

17. Anemone

Anemone

There have been organazations that are helping with the cleanup and trying to save as much wild life as possible. In doing so BP sent people out to have these people sign a waiver that they would not be held responsible if these people became sick or injured. If I'm not mistaken the government got involved and those signed waivers will not be valid. People have to be careful here, if you're not trained for cleanup, you shouldn't be doing it.

I do agree with you though, there is help that is needed and it can't come soon enough.

18. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

BP are still writing cheques and will no doubt spend way more than the $1.0b I referred to.

I'm interested to hear more about the help they have been offered in fixing the leak and refused. Why would they logically do that?

As much as we all wish it, this problem is not a quick fix . I dont think anyone has a plan that will just make this all go away.

19. Anemone

Anemone

I’m sure the news coverage is a lot more intense here. I can assure you that they are not issuing checks in a timely manner to all the contractors. I watched several people being interviewed on the news last night. All of them said they have not yet received their first check. I’m sure they will be paid eventually, but these cleanup efforts are expensive, and again, we can’t expect people to donate equipment and time for long. News coverage does have a way of making companies follow through. ;)

Apparently they thought they had it under control. IMO the US government is also at fault here for not intervening sooner/overseeing the operations better. It’s gone on far too long and I’m not sure WTF they were thinking. I can remember our president stating that if BP didn’t fix the leak “we would.” Well, that was a few weeks ago and it’s still leaking.

I agree, this is going to be an issue for many years to come.

20. Anemone

Anemone

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100603/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill_washington

WASHINGTON – The federal government slapped BP with a $69 million bill Thursday to cover initial costs of responding to the largest oil spill in U.S. history. An angry President Barack Obama said he was convinced that BP has not moved quickly enough to stop the flow of oil and clean up the mess.

Obama, who on Friday planned to make his second visit in a week to the battered Gulf Coast, used his strongest language to date in assailing BP.

"I am furious at this entire situation because this is an example where somebody didn't think through the consequences of their actions," Obama told CNN's Larry King. "This is imperiling an entire way of life and an entire region for potentially years."

Obama said BP has felt his anger, but added that "venting and yelling at people" won't solve the problem. His remarks were to air Thursday night.

Obama had not previously voiced such sweeping criticisms of BP. But he said Thursday he had not seen the kind of "rapid response" from the British company that he'd like.

The $69 million bill being sent to BP is the first of what are likely to be many bills sent to the oil company to cover expenses incurred by the government in responding to the spill, which has dumped at least 21 million gallons of oil into the Gulf, according to government estimates. A White House official said BP has until July 1 to pay the bill.

21. seank

seank

Think I must give the some expanded liquid foam to pump into those holes. That'll work:biggrin:

Recent Posts