Metal Halides

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mickey69, 10 Jun 2009.

1. mickey69

mickey69

Hi Guys

Still moving up and down the forums and getting to know whats what in this hobby..

I do have a little bit of light experience and I see that people are battling heat build-up/problems with MH lights.

If you are buying from the electrical outlet boys, the ballast is usuallyenclosed in the lighting case itself. Now the ballast gives off quite a lot of heat on its own so it would be a good idea to put your ballast downstairs so as to reduce your heat build up in the hood area. It will definitely make a difference!!

I also see people are looking around for lighting companies.

lightsrus is quite good. Plus you can do a bank transfer and they will ship to you.

Hope this helps somebody....

P.S. Please do not try seperating ballasts + re wiring if you do not know what is what. Consult an electrician or electrical store. Electricity can kill!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Thanks Mick... The Radiant MH that I will be using has the fitting and the gear / ballast separately, and you need to connect the two. I will then just put the balast on the side of my canopy (inside the cabinet would be too moist = BOOOOOOOM!!!)

But I have touched the ballast and it is not so warm, not even the light fitting itself, but the heat that the light generates.

Then also, Hennie (Reef Maniac) mentioned a VERY interesting point. Research has shown that the temperature right on the edge of the coral body is up to one or two degrees higher than that of the surrounding water when high intensity light is used. Interesting huh?

So you can run a 7000 000kVA airconditioner or get the Abobonable Snowman to stand next to the tank and blow cold air over your MH unit, you would still have that temperature at absorbtion level inside the tank.

But getting your lights to NOT contribute to heating the water will help a lot!!!

4. mickey69

mickey69 Thread Starter

Okay, with regards to using pc fans ....

Is it more effective to suck air from canopy or pull air from outside the canopy and run it 'passed' the bulb area and out the back?? Would this greatly increase your evapouration?

I know with indoor hydroponics , you can get light tubes with ducting on either sides so that cool air is passed over the bulb and sucked out the other side.

5. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

If you suck air from your canopy, the salt air gets pulled into the fans, thus increasing the amount corrosion or rust VERY quickly, and then the fans pops!!!

But if you blow air from the outside of you canopy into the canopy, you are just blowing normal dry air from the room into the canopy. The downside to this is, as you stated, a huge increase of evaporation. The positive to his point though, is it helps a lot with cooling the water as the surface cools down.

6. mickey69

mickey69 Thread Starter

Much cheaper to ask from people who have either

1) learnt the hard/expensive way

2) have learnt from others who have learnt the hard/expensive way

Thanks Jaco. Very logical...

Recent Posts