Metal Halide

Reaction score
is there a huge difference between running white or blue halides ?

I don't think you would get a good Actinic metal halide, the light would be too strong, if indeed you could find the lamp in the right K range, but the actinic is a much subtler light for dusk and dawn light rather than a blast of light from MH

I don't think you would get a good Actinic metal halide, the light would be too strong, if indeed you could find the lamp in the right K range, but the actinic is a much subtler light for dusk and dawn light rather than a blast of light from MH

I have a blue halide, what is this ?

MH 6500k excellent growth on your corals but your tank will look yellow,needs to be supplemented with lotsa actinics
10 000k good growth and crisp white colour
14 000k fairly good growth and has a hint of blue to it
20 000k is blue,looks good but less growth as compared to the above

Normally on the flap there is a small sticker or rubber stamp that says 14 000K or so

OK, let's say it is 20K blue, difference between the different ratings ?

As per Mekeel ?

Googled it, if you want anything done round here you have to do it yourself:lol:

22,000k:whistling: it will be "blue" but a pure blue actinic is higher than that, in the region of 35,000k i think

Just as he says, looks good,no need for strong actinic but slower growth rate.

Yup, beeeg diffs

is there a huge difference between running white or blue halides ?

Dunno if this fills any gaps in?

I know these metal halide lamps:
megachrome 150W blue
marketed by deltec, developed together with Giesemann Lichttechnik

It's meant to accentuate, supplement, or simulate "Reef at DEPTH" appearance. Also intended for moonlight/phase simulation if appropriately mounted, and controlled.

I suppose only useful in the latter respect, in larger tanks(2m up)

The manufacture states > 20 000K, but also rates at ~21 000K.

Meant to be used as above in conjunction with SPECIFIC light types.

With ACTUAL CORAL GROWTH, or PHOTOSYNTHETIC stimulating in mind, you would HAVE to employ ''WHITER LAMPS'' on their own, or in addition to the 150W blue, or according to the "LOOK" you want

Those easily available in SA.
6500/10 000/12 000/14 000 K

The diff between white and blue, is easiest stated as the difference between sunlight and moonlight.

Which would you expect to grow a thriving Photosynthetic Reef under?

Thanks Liaquat.

I think those lamps were originally intented for FOWLR systems to accentuate colours on exotic Angels and Butterflies. Probably been adapted by Reef Keepers to supplement deep reef scenarios in conjunction with Higher PAR lower kelvin lamps.

150W MH lamps generally lack suffucient PAR at depths greater than 30cm and then nothing higher than 14k.

HTH.

Back
Top Bottom