Metal halide bleach

Reaction score
I have seen after is started my new system up that my live rock is bleaching a little, i.e my coralline algae seems to be dying off :-( ??

is it because my lighting is too intense ?? i have a hex nano so it is quite deep running with a 150W metal halide ?? the bulb rating is at 10000 K

Thanks

Could possibly be the light, it might also be your calcium or alkalinity levels have dropped.

Sounds normal.Coralline algea will bleach once moved to different (more intense) lighting conditions.
As Viper said,can also be you Ca and Alk levels.

i checked my ph and its fine at 8.2 ??

thought the calcium would be fine cause i put new RO water in ?? started the system up three days ago ?? shouldnt the calcium be ok ??

I thought of another thing, I DIY'ed the light, it is a double sided bulb but doesnt have the tampered glass covering it ?? will that make difference ??

Yip, Mekaeel is right, you need to cover that bulb with a piece of glass or everything in your tank will die.

Damn think you right man ?? makes more sense now :) ill sort it out 2nite ? this is what i have done with the lighting

DSC00072.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

cool will do :) i am work now but will call the maid to switch it off for me :-( hope its not permanent ????

Damn i feel dumb now :-( well you live you learn :)

I did something very similar to my MH, but you have to put the glass shield back on. Don't worry, I also learned the hard way, I was cleaning my MH's one day and forgot to put one of the glass pieces back on, needless to say everything on that side of the tank died within a few days until I figured out what was wrong.

just figured out why I had the huge algae out break which made me restart my system :-( was all my stuff dying and putting phosphates into the water and helping the algae to go wild ??

Thanks for the help :) MASA ROCKS !!!!! :yeahdude::slayer:

did you have your rocks out of the water for a long time?
Coraline algae will die if its out of the water for a long time, but will grow back?

Dont know much about the cover glass, but if the gurus say so, why not try it:thumbup:

But do check your ca and alk when your back from work

shot will do :) got funny feelin its the glass cover ey ?? the rocks where out of the water for like 10 mins max when i did the transfer from geoffs sump.

well i added the tempered glass and hope it is gonna do the trick this is my DIY job ?? any suggestions ??

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

oh and its tilted so that the light refracts back onto the rock when the lid is closed cause the halide sits a bit forward rather than dead centre when lid is closed

Back
Top Bottom