mesh wheel mod

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by SaltyReef, 30 Jul 2010.

1. SaltyReef

SaltyReef

Hi All,

I understand quite a few people had done mesh mods to their skimmer impellers.

But, what I dont understand is how the pump can still draw as much as when it has a paddle wheel, excuse my ignorance, I understand the principle of breaking up the air into smaller bubbles but how does the pump pull water and air thrugh with mesh?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

Centrifugal force

4. brettb2020

brettb2020

for skimmers we not really worried about the water flow anymore, obviously there has to be some water flow, but whats more important is the flow of air. what is also important is the size of the bubbles entering the skimmer. the smaller the bubbles, the better your skimmer works. this is because the total surface area of all the bubbles is drastically increased by a decrease in size of each bubble. the pin or mesh wheels impellers chop the air up to create these fine bubbles. this is a vital part of the skimmer.

5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

As manic said and study the impeller, its design helps

Recent Posts