Member Spotlight : Crispin

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dallasg, 31 Jan 2013.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi All!!!
    its with great pleasure i get to start the Member Spotlight, Our first Reefer is Crispin, so without further adieu

About me
    Hi, I am an organic farmer who recently immigrated to the frozen Northern city of Lillehammer in Norway. I run a small sheep farm with forests, a home kindergarten and bees. Im predominately a professional beekeeper specialized in rural development. In my free time have a number of hobbies, all of which I make money on a part time basis from. Fly-fishing has been a passion and an obsession since I could walk and I professionally guided clients in Mozambique when I lived there. Bees and beekeeping started as a hobby and I converted that into a full scale job, although I have scaled that down since leaving sunny south Africa. I also have 5 horses on my farm and ride regularly, especially in summer where I take a horse, a fly rod and sleeping bag and disappear a for a few days :)

Involved in Hobby
    Ive been involved with marine husbandry on a few different levels, but I am predominantly a simple keeper of a few mixed aquariums. I love the complexity of life in a marine system and spend many hours simply enjoying the interaction of a well set up balanced and docile system. I hold the sanctity of life in high regard and dislike the abuse of life a marine system can lend itself to creating. Consequently I speak out against live stock kept in systems which convention has taught us to be against that species best interest. This doesn’t endear me to others, but I believe that fish and marine organisms should be kept with ethics and morals.

I love helping others where I feel I can. There are aspects of my own reefing that I feel my knowledge lacks (the minefield of incomprehensible chemicals and their usage for example) and thus I rarely post regarding those topics. But biological filtration, fish species and who to keep with who in what size tanks, lps corals, soft corals and photography are all areas I love to help others with if I can.

I’ve been involved with importation of live stock and set up holding facilities for onward sale and now I am currently setting up a few tanks as a fragging set up for coral propagation. But this is all predominately for my own pleasure and not a financial venture at present. My goal is ultimately to set up a small public aquarium from my farm with reef display tanks being the focus.

My tank
    I suffer from MTS which is a horrific disease and best avoided at all costs by simply getting as a big a tank as you dream of from the get go! But my main tank in the house is a simple set up of soft corals and fish. Its been running well for 3 years now, although I have been lazy and require certain equipment upgrades to improve water quality (and my life!) The tank is disease free (as far as I can tell in three years) and I go to great lengths to keep it that way. Reefing in Norway is incredibly expensive (well over 3 times the price than in SA) and thus I don’t spend money of LS like I would like to. Consequently as I have time and a well running system I have let some corals grow to large beautiful specimens. Such large colonies create their own micro climates and problems for the reefer and I will have to frag them soon, but for now I love seeing a huge super organism made of individual polyps sway in the water column. My tank is by no means note worthy, and I have some challenges (like cyano bacteria) which I find I enjoy rather than frustrating. I really enjoy the complex problem solving a marine tank can give me and I am really enjoying this tank due to the challenges I constantly get. I know my bulbs need changing, that my internal flow is too low, that there is too much LR and that my new ati 250 skimmer under-performs for what the tank needs. And all those lead to cyano. I will address them each soon, but for now I am enjoying the challenge of keeping a tank with light stocking load, good coral growth and algae free. I have new pumps of the way, new bulbs and a new impeller for my skimmer, so soon I’ll mass murder that cyano, but for now I a happy to let it consume NO3 for me and keep it under check.

Got involved with MASA
    I got involved with masa in the begging of 2008 when I was looking for a second hand tank. I’ve been actively involved since then and have learnt a wealth of knowledge from far cleverer people than myself. MASA has been a home for me in many ways and Ive made many very close friends through Masa. As a forum its still the best ive found anywhere on the web and I will continue to give it my support when time and life permit. Ive donated many hours and thoughts over the years and regrettably my time is becoming far more limited, but im fairly passionate about marines and masa and will continue to help out on the forum wherever I possibly can.

Philosophy
    There is nothing more valuable than a good plan executed slowly! The longer I reef, the more I know, the more I realize that a conservative deliberate approach far outweighs rushing anything in this hobby. Take your time, the slower the better!
    Advice
    A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing so plan, read, research, read some more and get the information you need to make a decision based on a high probability of success and then you have half a chance of achieving it.

But the best advice you could possibly get, is make a reef buddy. Someone close by whom shares your passion and joy for marines. Someone to watch the tank when you go away, or to bounce ideas off, or go live stock hunting around various LFS, and will stop you making that impulse buy simply because that ribbon eel looks so pretty and that flame scallop is a must have! IE get a handbrake, if you happen to be married to it, so much the better!

Tank pics
    Sorry I only have a phone camera L kidding….i’ll get some for you soon :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. saaid

saaid

Hey,imagine taking your family to a farm in an icy place to go see an aquarium :lol::rofl::lol:

Nice write up,always wondered what the deal was with the guy from Lillyhammer;)

4. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Nice write up! He has been a bit on the quiet side..

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Leka write up @crispin:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

Very nice write up but worthless without pics.

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Nice to getting to know you a little better @crispin, and I shall wait for them pics.;)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Crispin is most definatley one of our most passionate members and always has the best interests of LS at heart, if it seems like hes scolding you about your system, read between the lines and you will see all he is trying to do is to make you aware so that you can achieve your full potentuial...

Nice write up boet!

9. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

i agree! i experienced that when i started using forums :)
    but we settled our differences :):yeahdude:

10. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

11. dallasg

he shouted at me alot :) but it was justified

12. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

He means well if he does shout at you.;)

13. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I think you should shout more at me!

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well done Crispin.
    Really hard work and expensive to do everything on your own in Norway. For the uninformed, hired help is ridiculously expensive in Norway. Simple things like PVC pipes and fittings are not available and must be imported.

Wish I can visit you again one day. Beautiful place you got and a very beautiful country.

15. crispin

crispin

thanks for the kind words guys. I wasnt actually expecting dallas to be so fast with putting this up and that pic comment was realy aimed at him thinking id have some time to clean glass and get some decent pics. I'll post some pics after the weekend as I am away at the mo:)

lol it does sound rather odd doesnt it! but its realy the fact that we are so far north and so cold and full of snow for so long that the idea has attraction. many people have never seen the beauty of a fish like a naso tang, or a full grown blue throat trigger, or a swaying hammer coral etc etc, so putting up various tanks to show reefs and what can be achieved sounds like a fun project:) well to me anyway.

my applogies for my absence of recent times, but once i saw you make a come back and start posting thought provoking, headache making, threads on different topics I thought id give you the floor

thanks mate. I must say yuou are one of the reefers i recall from when you started and the difference in what you do and how you do it now realy is worth a mention. your tank and husbandry have improved amazingly over the time you've been here.

I'll get onto that:)

well seeing as your tank is doing so well you have obviously learnt to be pacient so i'll hold off on the pics for a while:)

LOL that sounds like a diplomatic way of putting some of my rants over the years. ive mellowed a little but still cant stand people abusing live stock, some things dont change!

did we settle our differences????:tt2:

lol we certainly got off on the wrong foot with each other and NO i still dont believe in throwing a skimmer away for a little piece of glass with water flowing over it:biggrin:

ive been tempted a number of times mate!!!! :p

i dont mean that well for the reefer, but fish need a voice ytoo you know....its not only nemo that can talk:)

thansk Riaan, i realy hope you do get to come visit, especially so you can see the same fish i put in that tank still swimming so many moons on:)

16. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Hehehehehe, I am sure! I shout at me too!

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That will be great. If I can recall correctly, you got a Blond Naso, Regal and something else (last one I cannot remember) when I visited you. When I got back I got myself a blond naso, regal and sailfin all 3 very small, 4 to 5cm. Regal disappeared before the week was out. Sailfin died last year. Still got the blond. Your blond was bigger then. Judging by mine now, yours must be something to see.

I started working on a project for a company in Stockholm. Could very well end up with a few trips up there during the year. From there it should be a short hop to your place. So maybe, one day, but this project still needs a lot of work.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2013
  18. dallasg

i posted so quick so there would be suspence as to when the pics would be posted :)

i am back on the skimmer path

skimmer.jpg

19. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Skimmers not big enough:tt2:

20. seank

seank

:whistling: :whistling:

cough cough, any latest developments??

21. Zandy

Zandy

Looks like Crispin and Dallas both have the same disease.... promise pic's which takes almost a year to post... !!! lol:tt2:

Last edited: 16 Oct 2013
Recent Posts