Meet my friend

Matt

Wrasse
Reaction score
Peacock Mantis? Beautiful! What camera did you use to capture that? Henk: In their own tank they are awesome!

LikesFish

Blenny
Reaction score
Yes Peacock in his own species tank. By far the most entertaining marine creature I ever kept. Even my wife prefers to feed him due to his personality. She complains my predator fish (groupers) bite her.

I used a Canon 1Ds Mark III with a 100mm F2.8 macro lens.

Matt

Wrasse
Reaction score
likesfish: is he out a lot? I know most people only find mantis in their tank once livestock is killed... how often do you see this bugger? ;)

LikesFish

Blenny
Reaction score
Yup about 70% of the time you can see him peeking out of his hole, and 10% of the time he is running around the tank.

PS: Peacock mantis shrimps never ride on LR in to new tanks - they have to be purchased. It is other species that hitch hike - and most of the time those hitch hikers never get larger than about 3-4 cm... I.e. harmless.

Muz

Blenny
Reaction score
He is fantastic.. how about some more pics please

lanzo

Clarion Angel
Reaction score
damn likefish, you are making me sad:(
I'm still saving up money for it, i promise.

hey guys this is the most coolest thing i have ever seen, my girlfriend also likes it:)

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Incredible photo's.

What is the mantis eating in that 2nd to last pic?

DragonReef

Yellow Tang
Reaction score

LikesFish

Blenny
Reaction score
That's what I thought, but I was under the impression that they only took live foods?
Nope not at all. They readily take frozen foods. Mine is picky though - won't eat anything. But mussel, lance fish, scallop are all fine.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks. They definitely are stunning creatures. Have you got anything else at all in the tank? Would they devour snails and hermits (clean up crew)?

LikesFish

Blenny
Reaction score
I have two cowries in there... Their shells are too thick for the mantis to break and he is uninterested in them. Apart from that - pods and LR.