Medicine

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by Garethr, 27 Jan 2009.

1. Garethr

Garethr

Hi Guys,

I have had my tank(boyu TL550) for over 6 weeks ,I have 3 clowns,1 cleaner shrimp,1 fire shrimp,1 devided wrasse.

on saturday I noticed my clowns had little white spots around there eyes only one spot each.

I went to the LFS and he gave me medicine witch I have started using although he asked me to switch my UV and Protein skimmer off .

I got home did what he sayed and once reading the instructions it says that you need to pull out basically all your filtering spnges etc.

My question is its been close to 17hrs of the medicene in my tank should I be worried about my bacteria ?

The medicene is blue in colour and I had to add 40 drops per 100 litres

please can you help me :baffled:

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

is this medicine reef safe? some can kill inverts etc...

i would run the skimmer and uv first, that should strip out any of the remaining medicine.

but lets see what the pro's have to say

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

What is the name of the whitespot treatment the the LFS gave you?Is it copper based?

5. Apollo

Apollo

Gareth,

Your bacteria should not suffer greatly as a result of adding the medication.
    Like Mekaeel said : Just check whether the medicine is copper based.

I'm a bit surprised about the instructions telling you to remove the filter sponges.
    Normally with whitespot treatment you will switch off the UV and remove the carbon for the duration of the treatment.

Remember that Ick(Whitespot) are parasites which start their lifecycle in the substrate. They become free swimming and then attach to a host(fish). Once you see the whitespots on the fish the Ick has attached. These whitespots eventually burst open , releasing the "eggs" which fall down to the substrate and then the cycle starts again.

Whitespot medication works by interrupting the life cycle of the parasites. It may require more than one dosage and normally takes a few days to become effective.
    Whitespot medication will only kill the free swimming parasites. It does not appear to have any effect on the "eggs" or on the parasites which have attached to the fish.

When treating , one would normally switch off the UV, remove the carbon. Dosage varies but treatment is normally given on the 1st , 3rd and 5th day . Repeat dosing is only required if one treatment is not sufficient.

6. Garethr

Garethr Thread Starter

Thank you so much !!!
    I am so releaved !

My medicine is not copper based and the treatment is as follows :
    40 drops day 1 - dont feed
    20 drops day 2 - dont feed
    0 drops day 3 - feed
    20 drops day 4 dont feed
    0 drops day 5 - do a 30% water change and feed

Im worried cause my fish are looking at me like the are starving !!!

can I feed them maybe tonight - shame man
    :(

7. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Just need to know the name of the medication and if its copper based? Copper although effective in fish only systems will cause problems long term with inverts.

8. Apollo

Apollo

He he ... Don't worry . Your fish won't starve.
    You can feed them, but I would recommend a smaller quantity than what you would normally feed. You don't want any uneaten food to end up in the substrate while you are dosing the medication.

Just my thoughts.;)

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Feed your fish. This helps boost their immune system. Please provide us with the name of the medication used.

10. Garethr

Garethr Thread Starter

I will as soon as I get home its proto coral something .. I do know that it is not copper based though :)

11. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I would also carry on feeding.

Recent Posts