Medical aid scheme help

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by Furbz, 8 Oct 2013.

1. Furbz

Furbz

Hi all,

I need help in deciding on a new medical aid, after resigning from the bank I can no longer stay on my current medical aid scheme.

I'm 26 and healthy with no dependents.
    The only thing I have is glasses

Lend me your thoughts!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: 8 Oct 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Where you on libcare? We recently moved from them to Discovery. I have been pleasantly Suprised.

4. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

E-mail Anne Louter for neutral advice on the best Medical Aid for you risk profile. She is Director Healthcare at Cadiant Partners and this is what she does. Annel@cadiant.co.za Tel: 011 268 2181

Last edited: 9 Oct 2013
  5. Gerhard DP

Gerhard DP

They all give you much less then what you pay for if you are healthy, dont get it and you probably die of every known disease in one week.

Best to talk to someone that works and know all of them

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Oct 2013
  6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Been on discovery since 2001 and no issues, been on when I was a contractor and through my company, they are all necessary evils and grudge purchases.
    Medical aids are not there for when you healthy, they are there for accidents and bad luck.

Won't your new company put you on theirs?

7. JackSplat

JackSplat

Been on discovery for a few years. Had quite a big scare two years ago resulting in an operation and hospital stay. At the end of the day it cost me almost nothing and I did not have any issues with payments etc.

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Go through the discovery options they have an easy to understand pdf explaining all the plans.

9. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

We were on Discovery for over 10 years. We then changed to Fedhealth for 2 years and are currently with Momentum.

Had no issues with any of them. The only reason we changed each time was because our needs and what we required from a medical aid changed. Not all Medical Aids are the same (eg. Fedhealth had a limit of R10 000/annum for Occupational Therapy, which is I think is unlimited on Momentum so with our kids needing OT it made sense to change as the OT cost us around R3000/month).

We use Anne (see above) because she is neutral - not contracted to any particular Medical Aid scheme and will find the best medical aid for your individual circumstances - it costs you nothing to as she gets a comm from whichever medical aid company you eventually choose.
    @Furbz, since you are healthy, young and have no dependants a good hospital plan may be more suited to your needs. Once again though you'd need to explore the options available.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Reefhead

Reefhead

I say go for a hospital plan
    Young, healthy and no dependents you would be wasting your money with full medical aid

11. seank

seank

Best one we could find (after extensive research) for employees was Keyhealth. They have different options to suit your lifestyle and budget.

12. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

Wow thank you to everyone for the advice!!
    i am leaving Standard bank and thus can no longer stay on with Bankmed.

- i have launched my own business and at the same time i'm going to be working in the family business to help out.
    as the company is alot smaller i have the choice of which scheme i would like to go with :thumbup:

i was with discovery when i was younger and under my parents roof, then i went to bankmed as the banks force you to join if you are employed, and now i have to find a new scheme

thanks!! i have send here a email asking for help :thumbup:

the company is very small, so we get to choose ourselves, very different structure to corporate!

agreed! i'm looking for a hospital plan with no savings. i am healthy and dont really need any claims other than glasses every 2 years
    i met with a discovery representitive this morning and had a look at what they had to offer. i know that Discovery has a 51% share in the market, so they cant be bad. i'm thinking of going with them as they have been around forever and are a proven scheme.

will see what Anne has to say :)

Recent Posts