Me wants a Gem tang

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by rakabos, 5 Mar 2012.

1. rakabos

rakabos

Is anyone at the coast willing to catch me one?

I know im not allowed to pay for it, but i am happy to cover your expenses...

PM if anyone is willing.

Thx
    Martin

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brentv

brentv

Rakabos,
    They are like searching for a needle in a haystack!:blush:
    I have lived and dived on the coast most of my life and have probably only ever seen about 4 or 5 and only 2 where juvenile.

The best bet is to ask one of the sponsors that do imports from Sagar in Mauritius.
    (Mauritius Aquarist!) to hook you up with one.

A Gem Tang is a worthwhile fish to cough up that little extra for;)

[​IMG]

4. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Yeah that is the other option, they are stunners...

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

You not allowed to catch fish for someone else.

6. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Not even for free? Ok well i guess I will ask the sponsors...

7. Yuri

Yuri

There is only one guy in the cape importing them Lanzo use to
    The guy in the cape is not a sponsor

8. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Under permit conditions it states that fish may not be sold, bartered, donated or traded.

9. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

10. Tony

Tony

PM Marce the waterboy. He has connections in Mauritius

11. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

12. Yuri

Yuri

It is best to ask a lfs with a MCN import/export permit

13. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

makes me laugh how everytime, the name gemmatum springs up......laws etc etc all jump up......its not a rhino horn.......its a fish!...rare for us, but not so rare in other places in the world......sometime scarce, but sometimes available in abundance, that anyone can import themselves if they really wanted one and where prepared to go through the effort........
    cost of this fish is usually 150 to 250 euro, add effort, for arranging, shipping, permits etc etc
    and you should land one here for about 3 to 4k
    the more people make a big fuss about this fish on forums, the more the price jumps.....and the more it gets hunted down.......
    .ive heard local sponsers have sold this fish up in jhb for as much as 8k, in the states as much as 20k..........
    what for........its a pretty fish but not that pretty.....
    to be hones i was offered 8k for my own during last years imacsa, i didnt sell it cause i didnt feel like stripping my tank apart to catch it......not worth that money in my opinion.........not worth 20k either.......,
    buy what you want cause you like it.......if other people want to put ridiculous price tags on em....let them do it and make themselves look silly.
    i have one.....'ve had one in my tank for the lst 2 years but previous to that the last time i had one i decided to sell it on the forum while we moved house and was in the process of building another tank........only to have my company name run through the mud in a unwarranted oportunistic rant of defirmation by another sponser throwing crazy allegations that i nearly sued him for.....
    that just proves.....some people like to make there own niche market........and charge stupid prices to keep it niche.............
    in the past suppliers where not used to the small south african market, and importers here would tie them down and say, they not allowed to supply anyone but them.......but the exporters realise now how small we are, and its not worth being tied down........its there lively hood, if they can get R2500 (rs20000 rupees) for a fish........trust me, they will sell it.......thats alot of money in mauritius - you can rent a pretty large house there for that money (if you know where to look)
    go out, get hold of sagar, or mark, or cedric in mauritius....do a little research and you will find em online........buy one and ship it with papers yourself.......
    ill be in mauritius for 4 weeks in the next couple of days.......if i decide to bring fish back for myself, ill email you and you can sort supplier out direct and ship in my box with permit for you......but to be honest.....im not really thinking about that right now......just looking forward to diving everyday and spending time with my family.......shipping fish and arranging state vet permits might be the last thing on my mind:lol:

gMAN likes this.
  14. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

15. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Martin, I'd say take 2weeks off, go down the coast, take a diving course and catch that beaut for yourself!!

16. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

lol @gMAN if only it was that easy

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

...if you want it bad enough... ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. Tony

Tony

They're only expensive because they're a rarity in the USA and fetch a high price, which is why we percieve them as a high value fish, despite the fact that they're endemic to tropical areas of the Indian ocean, our back yard so to speak. I'm sure grammas and yellow tangs are as cheap as chips in the US because of their proximity to the natural habitats of these fish

19. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i personally love this fish but only as a juvenile, but thats my opinion, i have been fortunate enough to catch a couple but just as unlucky to have everyone around but me catch one so it comes and goes.. i personally wont buy one as it will take out the drive for me to even go diving..

but a beautiful specemin..

some good info given there by marco.. very practial and straight forward.. just the way it should be :)

good luck in your search..

20. richardmatlock

richardmatlock

I also don't see the fuss. Gem tangs are "nice", don't get me wrong, but they are definitely not the stuff of being a "Holy Grail", or a "Holy Teaspoon" or any form of napkins or cutlery for that matter. They are unusual though.

I've been catching marine tropical fish in southern africa since I learned to walk. Got my first moorish idols when I was 4, my first goldies at age 5 etc. My whole family for that matter has been catching marines tropicals in SA since the late 60's, early 70's. The history aside, we have a huge set of catch logs, covering the entire eastern SA coast (Kosi bay and Mabibi used to be awesome collecting sites before the reserve was established). With all that diving/effort, we saw our first gem tangs in the early 2000's. Since then, I've caught about 20 of them (mostly in the Kei, furthest south was East London). IMO they are a species that is drastically extending its range into SA and I anticipate them getting commoner here over the next few years.

Here's a pic of the last one that I caught (2010 at Mboyti in the Kei).
    [​IMG]

21. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

did you drink it rich? :)

I personally love a flame angel.. but i think people are following the money line for status of a fish moreso than purchasing a fish for its pure beauty irrespective of weather its a damsel or an angel...

perhaps its the boredom factor filtering in and more rarer fish that become sought after..

if a Gem is your Dream fish by all means persue your dream... but i personally feel pricetags are soaring out of the average man/womans reach. and in some cases for no real justifiable reason...

Last edited: 5 Mar 2012
Recent Posts