MD pumps - IWAKI

Discussion in 'Aquarium Depot' started by SchyffS, 31 Jul 2010.

1. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

Hi Scott
    Can you provide more detailed specifications on the magnetic drive pumps if you still stock them MD-3600 and MD-5160, power consumption, flow rate vs head loss etc
    Also on the Water Blaster Extreme pumps, specifications.
    Will you be selling direct to the members or must we get prices from our local LFS?

Last edited: 31 Jul 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. AD Scott

AD Scott

Hi SchyffS. We have discontinued the MD-Series pumps a little bit ago. They worked great but were noisy and power-hungry. The Water Blaster range is a good alternative. So is the REEFLO Snapper Gold. Here's the details:

Water Blaster HY-7000W
    Flow Rate: 6,800l/h
    Max Height: 3.7m
    Power Consumption: 88W
    Retail: R3,051

[​IMG]

REEFLO Snapper Gold
    Flow Rate: 11,000l/h
    Max Height: 4.5m
    Power Consumption: 97W (Average)
    Retail: R3,800

[​IMG]

Both pumps are great and are reliable, energy efficient and quiet. The Water Blaster does not have a large max height. The REEFLO might be a bit strong, but can be dialed back with a ball valve (which also makes the pump use less watts). The only thing with the REEFLO pump is that it needs large diameter piping in order not to loose too much flow. Let me know if you need more specs on any of the other models.

Can I ask what you need a pump for? Sump return, feed or mixing pump, CLS? We do wholesale to retail outlets only, but feel free to keep in touch for advice or tech support.

4. SchyffS

SchyffS Thread Starter Reef Aquarist

Thanks for the info, i was looking at options for main return pump and possibly feeding many other smaller pieces of equipment utilising only one pump with many t-offs. Eliminating many pumps that may be required.
    Also a pump to be utilised in a CLS.
    The pump must be quiet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Suhayl

Suhayl

Do you have parts for the MD 70 pump. Mines ran dry and after stopped working. THe impelller seems to be tight so I dont know if that could be the problem.

6. AD Scott

AD Scott

If a quiet pump is a top priority then we can take out the Snapper Gold & try it out. The Super Dart Gold was very quiet (however they have been discontinued on our side), but I do not want to assume that the Snapper is just as quiet. The Water Blaster pumps are good in that department but you might need that extra head the Snapper has. We'll give you some feedback once we've hooked it up.

Suhayl - we used to keep spares for the MD-70 but not anynmore. Unfortunately we do not buy from that supplier anymore. Your best bet would be to get it from a retail shop that buy from Koi Country (local Resun agents). They would be able to get the impeller & impeller housing as a spare for you. I wouldn't mind stripping a pump to help you out but I've already done that for others and now I'm out of pumps.

7. Suhayl

Suhayl

Ok thanks for the help

8. AD Scott

AD Scott

We've just run the Snapper. It's quiet for that type of pump but the Water Blaster would be a lot more quiet. If you need more flow you could always go for the 10,000 or 12,5000 Water Blaster. Let me know if you need specs.

Suyahl - no problem. Let me know if you don't come right & we'll see what we can do for you.

9. lIghty

lIghty

Hi Scott

Welcome to MASA!

Could you explain the following statement. Its actually funny you posted this as when I testing the load on my UPS sytem I notice the same thing, is it because the pumps starts to cavitate?

Schyffs, I infact have just done this last week, was running four different pump for all the other equipment (Return, Chiller, Reactors & holding tank) I'm now running them all off my 1x Hailea 6550 with a manifold, pulling a total of 175W.

10. AD Scott

AD Scott

Hi lIghty. Thanks for the welcome. I wish I could go into more detail but my knowledge is limited to what is in the instuction manual. But i know what you're talking about with the pumps cavitating. I've also experienced it when I overloaded my old generator. We have also had certain people experience it with SEIO pumps at their homes (plugged into the mains). Turns out (according to the electrian) that they were running at abnormally low voltages.

I think it would be great to get some inputs from somebody familiar with motors to give us an explanation. I suppose I could ask Chris from REEFLO to give us more info. Anything else in particular you would like me to ask?

The HX-Series pumps are also good strong pumps which can also be plumbed externally. Unfortunately they use a lot of power for the flow (5,580l/h) and for some reason the HX-6550 in particular tends to be a bit noisy with back-pressure. Have you experienced that?

11. xtreme

xtreme

Welcome Scott:)

12. SchyffS

SchyffS Thread Starter Reef Aquarist

I dont like dialing a pump back to reduce flow and would rather let it run freely with T-offs to other equipment soak up the flow. However, if the main pump crashes then the the whole tank suffers. I geuss you should always have a spare backup plumbed into the system which gives me an idea....

Is the snapper gold the smallest pump in that range?
    I have the intelli power 4 (1200W) backup supply, using it for over 8 months now and works very nicely. No pump cavitation.

Thanks Scott, the info is appreciated.

13. AD Scott

AD Scott

To be honest I don't like dialing it back either. It makes me feel like I'm putting the pump under pressure and I would normally assume that it would cause the pump to use more power. But REEFLO state that doing that actually prolongs the life of the pump (running at fewer RPM's) while using less power.

For us (230V 50Hz) the Snapper is the smallest model we can get. The US market (110V 60Hz) have a lot more options.

The spare backup pump sounds like a good idea. I have heard of people using 2 return pumps for extra security in case one packs up. I think those inverters are great options. We've got one keeping charged in the kitchen - just haven't had time to hook it up yet.

14. lIghty

lIghty

Mine is not that bad, its not the quietest pump I've ever come across, but realistically, the water coming out of my overflow pipe makes more noise.... I've had it for over 3 years now, never had any problems yet, haven't even change the impellor.

15. AD Scott

AD Scott

3yrs is a pretty good run so far. I really like the HX-series pumps beacuse they're versatile (wet/dry) and priced well. I know the impeller on the 6550 has changed (maybe about a year or so ago). Maybe it's only the newer ones causing the noise? Anyways, at least we stock both old & new impellers so maybe you can get a few more years out of it ;)

16. lIghty

lIghty

What is the difference between the old and new, and can the new type be used on the old body?

17. AD Scott

AD Scott

Impellers look quite different. The older ones are about 1cm longer so I doubt that they would work on the new pump & the new ones would not work on the old. Sorry for the leate reply (was in Durbs yesterday).

Recent Posts