Maxspect Razor LED

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have just finished doing a conversion on a Maxspect Razor R420R 300W where the controller card is blown, we were unable to find a replacement and importing one would be to costly. I have managed to convert this light to run on a TC420 controller but have made this conversion in such a way that if a standard controller becomes available its just a matter of unplugging the TC setup and plug and play replacement board. The cost of this is way than half of a replacement board, shipping and import duties. I have also made it in such a way that at 40 Deg the fans are activated which ensures longer LED life span as heat is the biggest killer of LED's.

If any of the fellow reefers require assistance regarding Zetlight, Maxspect or any other LED, I am willing to help, just drop me a PM.

Regards

Reaction score
Hi Royden, can you possibly give me some advise please? Finally took one of my Razors out of storage over the weekend for a new frag tank. However, after power outage the clock was back at 00:00. Do these have a battery inside to keep time and settings memory, or do you know if there's something else I should do? I used them from about 2012 - 2015 and then packed up for a while.

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi Royden, can you possibly give me some advise please? Finally took one of my Razors out of storage over the weekend for a new frag tank. However, after power outage the clock was back at 00:00. Do these have a battery inside to keep time and settings memory, or do you know if there's something else I should do? I used them from about 2012 - 2015 and then packed up for a while.
Hi yes they do have a battery which in not recharable. The battery is on the controller board opposite end to where your power supply cable enters the unit.

The battery is a CR1220 3v. You should be able to get from Clicks stores.

Reaction score
Hi yes they do have a battery which in not recharable. The battery is on the controller board opposite end to where your power supply cable enters the unit.

The battery is a CR1220 3v. You should be able to get from Clicks stores.
Hi Royden, what's the easiest way to gain access to this? I have the same issue with mine.

Reaction score
Hi Royden, what's the easiest way to gain access to this? I have the same issue with mine.
Remove the 4 x star screws that hold the end cover on. Slide the cover which sits over the controller. Just be cautious as there is a ribbon cable for lcd display and for adjustment dial so handle with care. Should not take more than 5 min to change out the battery.
I also suggest lubricating the 4 screws when reinstalling.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Remove the 4 x star screws that hold the end cover on. Slide the cover which sits over the controller. Just be cautious as there is a ribbon cable for lcd display and for adjustment dial so handle with care. Should not take more than 5 min to change out the battery.
I also suggest lubricating the 4 screws when reinstalling.
Awesome! Thanks dude

Reaction score
Very nice gesture from you. Thank you.
Hi Guys,

I have just finished doing a conversion on a Maxspect Razor R420R 300W where the controller card is blown, we were unable to find a replacement and importing one would be to costly. I have managed to convert this light to run on a TC420 controller but have made this conversion in such a way that if a standard controller becomes available its just a matter of unplugging the TC setup and plug and play replacement board. The cost of this is way than half of a replacement board, shipping and import duties. I have also made it in such a way that at 40 Deg the fans are activated which ensures longer LED life span as heat is the biggest killer of LED's.

If any of the fellow reefers require assistance regarding Zetlight, Maxspect or any other LED, I am willing to help, just drop me a PM.

Regards
Hi Royden, what's your experience/level of knowledge of the TC421 controllers? Wrt fault finding etc.

Reaction score
Hi Royden, what's your experience/level of knowledge of the TC421 controllers? Wrt fault finding etc.
The TC421 and 420 are virtually the same besides TC421 has a WIFI card, and the do not run on the same software at all. What is the fault with your unit?

I prefer these unit as alternatives to OEM controllers such as Maxspect and Zetlight, easy to mod to work on virtually any light system.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Buddy of mine has a unit that powers up but nothing on the output side... says he just hears a continuous buzz. Might have been damaged due to loadshedding I.e powers urge.

Reaction score
The buzzing noise are the transistors which are faulty, there are 5, one for each channel. Changing them is not worth the cost of replacement as on can get the TC420 on Bid or Buy for about R500. The transistors cost around R120 to R150 each so my suggestion is rather replace the unit.

If he is running on 12v OR 24v, and esp with load shedding, buy 1 x 12v gate motor battery if running 12v, 2 x battery if 24V(connect battery in series) and connect them in parallel with supply to the controller, this will absorb the power surge with load shedding, but don not run on an ups as the ups puts out 60Hz and not 50Hz.

The other part which causes failure is overloading the controller, they are only rated at 4 amps per channel, if you draw more than 4, lets say 8 or 10 amps, this would also damage the transistors.

Hope this helps

Regards

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, would have been 24v... with the led setup. I'll probably get a surge plug for myself to protect my unit just in case, it's been fine with the recent load sheds.

Appreciate the assistance

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, would have been 24v... with the led setup. I'll probably get a surge plug for myself to protect my unit just in case, it's been fine with the recent load sheds.

Appreciate the assistance
The past few days I have just been repairing LED units and PSU's due to load shedding and power surges,at least one a night. I monitor the power with a unit and its scary. Allowable is 10% variation, I am picking up between 15 and 20%.

And not to mention brown outs, that's when there is a dip in power.

Last edited:
Top Bottom