Max's 1,5m Turbo tank

Reaction score
Thanks Viper ill install all the 50w mh mini lamps tomorrow and take some pics to show how it looks. I also installed one of those 10led moonlight lamps for the night time when the lights go out. I also managed to get my nemmie to survive up to now and things are looking good so far. I had 1 fatality :( so far with a fish getting stuck in between two rock and since this moved and rearranged the area for better passage. All the water parameters still fine and im hoping to keep it this way. Luckily the little lawnmower with an attitude (yellow sailfin tang) is keeping the grass cut at an astonishing rate. And is competing with the bi colour angel and the turbo snail to see who can eat the most in one day. I managed to get some caulerpa from my LFS and installed it in the DSB.

Thank you all for your valued support and info so far. :thumbup:

Ill post pics soonest, as soon as i find the camera download cable.

Viper i will be posting some pics on the 50w Mini MH lamps as soon as i get the cable. As an electrical contractor i sell electrical spares to various bluechip companies, and as soon as my month is over i will post some prices on the stuff that reefers use. I am in the process of revamping one of my buildings to open a wholesale business for electrical goods in Springs. I am also in the process of going into a joint venture with a import company to import some nice goodies and hope to supply this at more competative prices, lets wait and see. :thumbup:

They want me to post it in this feed, i forgot ?

Sorry buddy ill order a cable from Sahara in Midrand tomorrow, i think my kids " borrowed " my cable for their camera and now it is missing in action. Ill post some pics. Tomorrow night at the latest if sahara has stock for me.

I made some changes to the sump tonight, i took out the second compartments glass with a meat hammer, just finished. A couple of cuts I got, but the skimmer is working way better this way, now it is actually skimming properly (never has been) and there is proper space for the little fella now. Next plan is to go for a bigger skimmer, one where i can handle double the capacity, and preferably external this time. And they say bigger isnt always better :nono: ill sell of this one as it is 1 month old now.:thumbup: I wanna have a look at lowering the DSB and the last compartments glass with 20mm i need to get the water flow a little closer to the DSB, it looks like the water is to far from the DSB. Just my gutt feeling. :whistling: O yes and im looking at importing a little toy for the tank, a proper nifty little PLC that controls all the equipment, ie temp, pH, wavemaker, moonlight controller, level switches, 63 alarms, auto feeding, electrical current even has a memory and can download directly to the PC. It is going to be nice, they are working out a complete sytem for me. Itll cost in the region of a 1000 us dollars including the probes but excluding postage, but it will still be cheaper than buying all the loose stuff here. They call it a reefkeeper elite, dont know if you have heard of it before. Can handle a 10000 gallon tanks equipment with the add on modules.

O yes and chaps, my nemmie has totally died. It did not want to recover from that bleach episode. I tried everything. Feeding, dosing special liquid but with no luck at all. I feel so pissed off with the LFS, he assured me it was all fine. I will look up nemmies and this time around choose wisely.

The next thing is my water tests. I havent added anything for a while now and tested tonight. All of the stuff is perfect again. I added some cycle as required to keep the good guys up. All the fish are doing fine as well. One thing that bothers me a bit is the following. A couple of times now the hair algae starts growing, turns green like a good rugby field. Three days later they die off and turn brown. Then i just blow off the LR with the seio's, if there is lots i just stir a bit as well on top of the rocks to get the loose stuff still stuck to also break free. Why so fast ? :whistling: Is this normal procedure for this to happen and why ? The caulerpa in my sump is also still alive. They just seem to grow very slow in my opinion.

I baught some more books, about seven on marine tanks from kalahari and take 2 and there is some good stuff in there, will post some of the interesting stuff i find when i get a chance. Beautiful DVD came with one of them. A 2500 litre tank full of corals, clams etc. I tell you very nice, this guy has a skimmer i reckon 1,7m high. It is amazing how he keeps the tank. He has a lot of info on water chemistry and so on, ill have a look and see if he says anything on softies getting all funny like yours.

Hi chaps i managed to upload some photos of the beginning and the now, i hope you enjoy. I was quite busy and had no time. :razz:

This photos was taken only with the one 54watt actinic and one aquablue light lit
I moved the LR and seio's around

105648af56f04b0bf.jpg

from the right, moved the rocks forward

105648af579818471.jpg

from the left

105648af58707aa38.jpg

another from the left

105648af593198e25.jpg

My cleaner at work, they have both shed there skin twice now.

105648af59f017c60.jpg

My favourite bigmouth soldier

105648af5aa2872a2.jpg

The first photos of my tank (how it started)

105648af5bae1e08d.jpg

Really nice, just glad you shed the wallpaper effect. A closeup of pic 05 would definately have taken some positive comments- pity it is not as it looks like a real nice one. You tank has evolved nicely - keep the pics rolling

looking much better.

see you have some algae problems, what is your phos and nitrate?

Howzot Max! Geez - been a while since you've been online! Many thanks for the updates man! I agree with SeanK - Your tank has indeed evolved VERY NICELY! Keep it up! Great that you will be getting a bigger skimmer..... Please remind me what skimmer you currently have?

Really nice, just glad you shed the wallpaper effect. A closeup of pic 05 would definately have taken some positive comments- pity it is not as it looks like a real nice one. You tank has evolved nicely - keep the pics rolling

You bet i was glad too.
It is a pitty about the pic yes, but this little 7mega pixle does not take nice pictures on a close-up. Maybe in the near future i will invest in a more decent upmarket digital camera for this.
I really appreciate the possitive comment from a old mariner like yourself it makes me feel proud, i might consider a massive tank like yours when we renovate my property again, and then ill get some advice from you. After all the crap ive been doing and stocking way before the tank has cycled. I can just say thank you that nothing bad happened and it cost me a couple of pennies to keep up with the aqua cycle and general treatment, but its worth every penny. :biggrin:
And yes i will be posting pics soon. Its been a little tough on me to get the time as we are busy with erecting a new plant and time is of the essence, you should know this as a businessman, when it comes to your money $$$, the faster the better. And i just read some comments after 12am and off to bed for the morning. :slayer:

Back
Top Bottom