Max Size Tank

Muz

Reaction score
A question for all the tank builders out there..

What is the max size tank you can build with 10mm, my next tank I would like to be 2200 x 700 x 700, the space is planned and teh miss has given the thumbs up.. is this too big for 10mm glass , water depth will probably be around the 680mm mark.

I have looked at tank glass thickness calculators but I am too lazy to sit and work out stress ratios..

Muz

if im not mistaken.Alans tank is 2.3m and is made of 10mm glass.not too sure though,let him confirm

It will be interesting.. should'nt I just go for 12mm and be done with it?

Hi muz, yip mine is 2.3x700x700 and is 10mm glass and have had no probs. Northlands have their 3000L x900W X700H in 10mm and has been there for 6/7 odd yrs with no problems. One bit of advice on the large tanks, they must be as level as possible. I took a full day to level my display.

Alan, if I may go slightly off topic...

* Where is your water level at?
* How did you level it? I mean I know obviously with a spirit level etc. But is your stand's legs adjustable?

Hi Gali, the water level is at about 65, the stand is not adjustable i used shims to level. The other thing i did and i do suggest for all large tanks is i used a high density polystyrene to go between the floor and the stand as well as between the tank and the stand. So working from the top down i would have the tank, polystyrene, chip board, stand, polystyrene and then floor.

Tank Size

Hey Muz,
Who are you going to get to build your new tank?

I was going to do it myself, I have built most of my tanks except for the last one, I will get the glass delivered to my place and then I will just silicone. I will need some help holding everything together.

Alan, how have you done your bracing.. any pics.?

On my big tanks I have marine board and poly on the floor.. it has saved me big time !

The bracing is Euro and 2 cross brases, i dont want to take any chances. I dont have pics of the bracing unfortunatley, the tank was built by Chris at Northlands.

Back
Top Bottom