MASA's Ocean Invasion, open to all.

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by Zandy, 12 Mar 2013.

1. Zandy

Zandy

I was just wondering if there has ever been a "dive and camp" if i can call it that organised by MASA. What i was thinking is that perhaps over a long weekend it would be great if all like minded people could perhaps go down to KZN (meet up with fellow MASA members) organise perhaps a dive instructor prior to going, and then arrange a deep sea dive with all the newbies that never will get a chance otherwise? This could be done as a group booking, making costs affordable for all. Have some sponsors involved, and end the trip with going to the 2 Oceans Aquirium, organise a bus to get there??? Just interested to see how many people would actually be interested in something like this?? We will rent the CPT guys to come watch our tanks while we gone....lol:whistling: ...joking !!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Express Reef

Express Reef

Sounds like a gr8t plan @viper357

Last edited: 12 Mar 2013
  4. Zandy

Zandy Thread Starter

I know i would jump at the opportunity to experience this. With the amount of members here i am sure things like transport, accomodation ect could be sourced at very competitive prices. Offer a starter diving course prior to leaving and that would give us who has never been able to do so the once in a lifetime chance, we all would be interested in basically the same thing ...marine live. The KZN guys could perhaps arrange to take some groups of people on trips on their boats (if the own one) just try and do as much as possible in like 3 days???

5. Afsal

Afsal

Dont you mean Ushaka MArine World ?

6. Zandy

Zandy Thread Starter

@Afsal yes you right my appologies...U Shaka Marine world.!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Great Idea!

8. Zandy

Zandy Thread Starter

@viper357 , and other admins??? You think you can pull something like this off? Perhaps have a "poll" see how many people would be interested, get an idea of the amount they willing to pay and take this further please?

9. durleo

durleo

Sounds good - but we have Ushaka Aquarium in Kzn:p - for beginner divers the Aquarium has a snorkel lagoon aswell!

10. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

IMO, you will need at least 5 days for a trip like that... With newbie divers you can do a max of 2 ocean dives/day & for the first 3-4 dives the newbies still struggle with gear, boyancy & to find their wet feet & only at dive 4 - 6 they start enjoying it & looking at the nice corals & fishies. lol.
    I would say at least 1x day for diving qualifications for the newbies,
    6x ocean dives over 3 days & then a full day for the two oceans trip or other route.
    I would love to do a trip like that (have done about 5 such trips with clubs / friends & it was amazing), but this year is out for me...:(

11. Zandy

Zandy Thread Starter

@durleo , yeah i think most of us have done the snorkel lagoon but no offense i would prefer to do a proper dive in the ocean, something i have never done. But again, there is so many possibilities, if some people have not done it there will be the opportunity to do that for them as well. Maybe there is a MASA member who works there who could organise a "behind the scenes tour" for us?? *wink wink*:thumbup:

12. Zandy

Zandy Thread Starter

@Visser i see what you are saying, just opening this for discussion, but i am sure that with the vast amount of organised MASA members something like this is possible?

13. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

14. durleo

durleo

it is possible but if new divers are just starting off then they will be very uncomfortable on the first few dives. It would be nice to do it with people who have already have an open water qualification. I would suggest you do your theory and pool sessions inland then do the qualifying dives at the coast. Sodwana and Aliwal are 2 good options.

15. Zandy

Zandy Thread Starter

:slayer:...i like !!!

16. Zandy

Zandy Thread Starter

@durleo, well if one could do this as you suggested perhaps then the qualifying dives could be done at the same time in KZN?? Not sure how it works, but i am keen to devote some time prior to coming down to KZN to do the theory and pool sessions in JNB first.

17. Zandy

Zandy Thread Starter

of for ease of "complication" the guys that already have such qualification could meet for their dive while the others do the scuba dive at Ushaka??

18. Zandy

Zandy Thread Starter

@leslie hempel, thoughts on this?? Any other mods available to see if this can be done?

19. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

It is definitely possible.
    It has always been a blast to do trips like that & i will remember them forever!
    The only problem is always cancellations.
    I organised a diving trip to sodwana in 2006 for 42 people.
    2 weeks before we had to depart, only 15 paid in full & only 10 more paid deposits.
    One week before the trip, 20 people canceled & i had to pay +-R5000 out of my own student pocket for cancellation fees for all the guys...
    Im not trying to put you off from the trip. Im just warning you what will happen if you dont make everyone sign a "contract" stating they will pay for all fees even if they back out!

Since then, i have organised 4 more trips for smaller groups, (+- 20 divers) & that was always a blast!!!

I would advise you to rather try & organise a trip like that yourself (or get a diving club to help out) @Zandy as it wouldnt be fare to the administrators to organise your trip for you.
    You can perhaps just ask the mods to help you out with the polls & publication, but nothing more unless they offer to do so! (It is a huge responsibility & lots of organisation!)

20. Zandy

Zandy Thread Starter

@Visser i hear you..and yes there would only be bookings made upon full payments. I just thought to ask the admins and owners of the site seeing that this site is not my domain to do what i please and was just a matter of respect to the owners and moderators of MASA, if they would be willing to assist in this matter it would be great and so much easier, but i understand that they are under alot of pressure and this is obviously not something they SHOULD do, just thought more wondered if this has ever been attempted< and if so...what the outcome was?

21. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

It is very possible, & no, it hasnt been done on a large scale like you talking about. Usually just small groups of 2-5 guys.

Will pm you my contact detail.
    Give me a call a bit later today. I can give you lots of ideas & possibilities on how to manage it as ive done it a couple times...

Recent Posts