masa views on LFS pre buffering R.O water

Discussion in 'Perky Pets Superstore' started by Perky Pets, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi Guys.

Im trying somthing new and want to know how you all feel about this idea ?

Be cause we are running fish only systyms as well , we have decided to Buffer the r.o water so that the regular use of R.O doesnt lower the tanks Alk...

But

Once the buffer is in the water the TDS will read anything up to 250 ! depending on when we put the reef buffer in and how long the R.O has been running after that.

This obviosly benifits the cosomer as his top up water is also buffered , but customers at home who test might be suspicious...

We Change the R.O membranes evry three months religously and will laminate the latest invoice for the membrains and display it on the drum to display date of membrane change.

Our TDS is usualy between 3 and 6 depending on how many thousands of liters of water were made by the third month.

let me know what you think of this idea. :)

Tks
    David

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nur

Nur Starz

sounds good but will it not throw a spanner in the works with people that have dosers that add Kh supplement?

4. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Thread Starter Sponsor

I think if i have a maximum Alk level of 8 in the drum, it wont effect the daily dosing...

Im using that R.O for our 3 meter coral tank and also have the profilux quad doser - but if I see the alk climbing , ill set the dayly dose down ( thats the beuty of the doser :) )

Tks Nur :thumbup:

5. Mogamatseraajregal

Mogamatseraajregal

good idea

I support the idea ,I think it is a added benefit to the to water from you guys vs elswhere-ive Been using your water since I've starttd my humble little tank and have great colouration in my opinion obvioulsy

6. hiema

hiema

I have bought some of your water and tested it.
    The TDS is 27 and as far as I am concerned this may just as well be TAP WATER.

I am very dissatisfied and feel like I have been cheated.
    Please let the guys know before you "buff" the water and say the TDS is 3 to 6.

Thanks

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

rather sell as unbuffered.

somebody will come to visit your customer one day and put a TDS meter in there. "Holly ..... where do you get this crap water."

8. Nur

Nur Starz

@hiema, i can vouch for their water. I run my system from only their RO. Maybe the TDS tester was dirty or maybe there is some other explination? I do ot know, But I'm sure David wont mind you bringing the tester in and have the water tested before you fill your drums. If you not happy dont take it, have you chatted to David about the readings? i dont think its fair to say you feel cheated without giving them a chance to explain or remedy the situation. Like i said maybe there is an explination.

Hope all is well with you tank none the less.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    Perky Pets likes this.
  9. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

or maybe @hiemas drum wasnt clean etc???
    @hiema if you want to make a statement like that you will need backup bru... from personal experience even no food grade drums lets tds rise,so if u didnt test the water @ perkies before buying,you dont actually have the right to make a statement like that as many factors contribute to tds raising AFTER you left there

Perky Pets likes this.
  10. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi @hiema

I suggest you contact the store and speak to the guys personally about your findings...

i work with paint and have disputes daily because readings are out etc etc when in fact it is important to make sure you are testing with simular testing methods and that the machine used is calibrated with all parts in working order..

a TDS of 27 is extreemly high if you consider that these guys are aiming for below 3!

maybe have a chat with them...

Les

11. leslie hempel

Its not necessary to get so worked up!, im sure there is a inaccurate reading responsorble here..

It is good that you point out the importance of clean drums and that a shop cannot be responsorble for the water once it has been dispensed into your own drum, good point:thumbup:..

PS: no need to @tag the person twice in one post they will get the message ;)

12. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

:blush:oops did i sound harsh,my bad .... it happen to me before and i didn realise i used the ro drum for saltwater once and even after cleaning it still pushed the reading up,so now i mark my drums and never have that issue

:thumbup:

:biggrin: we all learn ...sorry

13. leslie hempel

;)

14. Ikraam

Ikraam

Nur and David i was their when we tested the water nothing wrong with the meter if David informed ever1 about the buffer in the water it would not have been a suprise but no 1 had knowledge about this and there was about 7 guys there when we tested the water thus forth the suspicion of tap water would you not think the same thing ???

I think some guys is use to getting ro water with nothing in it and adding there own stuff to it
    David how long have you been running this buffer in the water i buy water every week from perky's !!!

and alot of other guys also do for a next time i think inform poeple first then try it
    It will help you to alleviate confusion and distrust and any bad reputations that may stem from this as you know David word of mouth is one of the most powerfull marketing tools out there

15. Mogamatseraajregal

Mogamatseraajregal

ro with buffer

I think the waters the cheapest around and if it has some buffer it makes it even better,I think if they said they buffed and they didn't it would be a problem '''but my laaities smaak that shop so I'll still go there and Danes a cool bra

Perky Pets likes this.
  16. leslie hempel

why not offer 2 varieties? bufferred and unbufferred? best of both worlds for the client just extra holding drums for you?

just a suggestion.....

17. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Thread Starter Sponsor

Thank Guys.

Sorry took so long to reply - had to take some pics.

Just to keep @hiema and freinds happy , i took a pic of the laminated invoice for you - could not put the whole invoice on as the company is not a sponsor.

[​IMG]

the second pic is a reading of our TDS straight from the Pipe.
    Thank to Jens - who changed bateries and compaired readings with his own ( ours reads one TDS higher than his on the same sample . )

[​IMG]

There are many reasons a TDS could be high though .

Buffering the water , which i did before you bought...

The Pump or pipe we used to Pump it out could have been used in a salt water tank and the small amounts of water left in it could give a false reading .

The clean drum is in the window and somtimes some sunlight does start a thin growth of algea before we empty and scrub clean.
    The drum you bring in ( espesualy white ) also gets a thin algea growth in it.
    And ive seen some doozies !

[​IMG]

But , im proud of our tanks and will not sell bad water , the invoice will stay up for my costomers to see - ask the other shops you have doubt in, to do the same and see what responce you get .

Hope the reagel tang is doing well and hope this sets your hart at ease - you have definatly not been cheated !

But , O.K i will stop the Buffering .

Thanks all for your input.
    David

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Oct 2012
  18. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Great response David! Many thanks.

19. Mogamatseraajregal

Mogamatseraajregal

good response

Shows you serious and taking the conservative approach to stop buffing the best way forward'----

20. hiema

hiema

Thanks for your input David.

I am glad we could resolve this issue and no hard feelings.

21. Andreas

Andreas

Maybe a option would be to fit an inline TDS meter where you dispense the RO water. This way the customer can see exactly what the TDS of the water is when filling up his container without there being any "contamination" from hand held TDS units. Just a thought.

Recent Posts