marleyi / double sash butterfly

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by toppdogg, 11 Jan 2010.

1. toppdogg

toppdogg

heyguys
    just woundering if anybody has kept any of these fish as i was donated 4 juviniles
    and have them in smaller tank for about 3 weeks now all doing well
    just wanted to know if they are reef safe ?
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Muelleri Butterfly

[​IMG]

Latin NameChelmon muelleriCommon NameMuelleri ButterflyAlso known asMueller's Butterfly, Australian Copperband ButterflyFast FactsAVAILABILITY NOTE
    Please Contact us to get on the waiting list for this item, as they're few and far between. Be prepared to jump on it immediately when one becomes available because everybody wants this fish!

Closely related to the Copperband Butterfly, the Muelleri Butterfly fares notably better in captivity than its shorter-snouted relative. Found only in Australian waters, it is highly sought after by collectors of rare butterfies. Though not often available, the Muelleri Butterfly is popular for controlling Aiptasia anemones in reef tanks. SizesMost specimens are aroud 3"-4", seldom smaller or larger.
    Range in NatureGreat Barrier ReefMinimum Aquarium Size55Diet and FeedingOmnivore, grazer, offer a wide variety of finely chopped foods including algae and sponge based prepared frozen foods.Ease of Care(5=easy, 1=difficult)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Reef Aquarium CompatibilityPopular for controlling Aiptasia anemones in reef tanks, although like any butterfly, it's a calculated risk.Related FishAustralian Copperband Butterfly, Copperband Butterfly, Marginalis Butterfly, More Butterflyfish AvailabilityContact us to get on the waiting list.
    Add to CartMuelleri Butterfly
    PriceQty.Add$119.00[​IMG]
    Where did you get them...
    As far as recearch goes it's the same as a copperband, reef safe with caution

4. chikaboo

chikaboo

I was told this loves to snack on pineapple coral - if that helps!

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

annoying thats not the same fish as the one pictured by toppdog is only found in SA.

i know this because we often have Japanese aquariums coming over here to collect them and blackburnii butterfly for their aquarium.

they are a colder water butterfly (as are C.Dolosus and C.Blackburnii) and if temperatures can be kept below 18 or consistent not exceeding 20 degrees they will do best.. i have tried many of these before in my butterfly keeping days and have put them on my no keep list (even if i were to go FOWLR)

Although against their being kept it is only fair to report that i have heard of them spawning in captivity in a large enough tank and i do know of a small percentage of prople with large tanks who have kept them for approx a year or 2..

6. toppdogg

toppdogg Thread Starter

do they nip at corals as they are so pretty and would love to put them in dt when they get bigger

7. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

yip they will nip your corals.....admitidly they are awesome.......out of all the butterflies except the longnose i found them beautiful and hardy if cared for properly however they are butterflies and are prone to spot and to nip them corals.......and for some reson all non reefsafe fish seem to peck on your personal fav coral first:)

8. toppdogg

toppdogg Thread Starter

9. leslie hempel

agree with marco 100%..

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

Most of the fishies we say are non reefsafe - is it a case of them nipping at corals or is more a case of trying to get whats inbetween the corals? Maybe copepods or bits of food stuck in there .... or are there species that actually "eat" corals?

11. Warr7207

Warr7207

Oh yeah, Parrot fish love a good chunky SPS stick. Large Angels love a nice frogspawn for dessert. :p

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

OK now I know why the huge semi I got from Scuba was "smiling" and I dont have any frogspawn left - what about this marli butterfly and the pineapple coz got them together and the pineapple is definately on its way out!

13. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

lol.....thats funny....you kill me dude

14. leslie hempel

my personal belief is that we just dont have systems big enough to allow for nipping and corals are targeted and subsequently wiped out due to this consistent habit.. but if the tank where big enough the coral would have more time to recover inbetween being hasseled... in smaller tanks fish and coral compatability becomes that much more critical..

15. toppdogg

toppdogg Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys so i guess they are staying where they are for now

16. Tim S

Tim S

Hi Topdog,

Butterflies love the softies and will travel from softie to softie all day long. They will then also not take to the "artificial" food if they have some nice icecream tasting softies in the tank. The marleyi is found in the colder waters as far as Knysna throughout the year as opposed to the other butterflies which are only found as far as PE in the few summer months.
    As far as nipping the softies, i'm sure they will.

17. toppdogg

toppdogg Thread Starter

shot tim
    i gathered that they will munch down on some good tasting corals so they are a deffs no no for my tank as i mostly have softies they will remain right where they are then
    thanks
    BTW nice catching in tk

Recent Posts