Mark's 4ft Tank

I got my canister filter back this evening from a friend who loaned it when I took my freshwater tank down...

Gave it a good wash out and have added 3 full trays of seachem matrix stones, carbon and phosphate remover. Going to be running it on the tank as a big reactor for these items.

Got the lily pipes soaking overnight as they need a good cleaning, and have thrown away the old piping. Will buy new plumbing for it tomorrow and set it up so it’s all ready to go when my sump finally arrives and I can fill the tank.

0CD1A4F4-72C8-4E87-8AEE-FEA10E0D9886.jpeg
1E3658B5-516C-476D-80A0-542E7B364C3A.jpeg
8F63BCD0-6450-4D4D-9586-E98D9627D5F2.jpeg
86BEFC2D-98A6-41CE-863D-C9C5610AD9F5.jpeg

Hmmm interesting canister fliter for a reactor I didn' think about that one nice Mark.

Running The Waterboy UVX my side works like a bomb too.

You just going to run matrix in it and are you going to throttle the flow?

Mainly matrix yes, but my other filtration media like carbon and phosguard as well...don’t think I’m going to throttle the flow, just going to run it as I did on my freshwater setup...seemed to work fine in there keeping nitrates down and that’s with 8 discus eating Ox heart mix every day.

Thanks @Anita , I got my Tunze Care Bacter yesterday afternoon...going to be using it to help start up the tank and see if I can keep up with using it only a weekly basis, at the recommended weekly dosage it should last me 32 weeks. :D

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

So my sump finally arrived on Monday...but it came with the back pane of glass smashed...seems the couriers played a little roughly with it. :(

Reported it to supplier in Cape Town and they have shipped me a new one at their cost...this will hopefully arrive by week end or Monday next week.

3473D14B-1131-41E4-9D3F-FA53ECFFB381.jpeg
ABC5EC9F-CD51-48B5-8FBF-3646CD65CDDE.jpeg

This is what it would look like in the cabinet if it wasn’t broken.

62E8E038-1D29-4013-A7ED-3DE55F7B7D50.jpeg

At least the plumbing came and I was able to sort this out in the mean time...so everything is now ready to go and just awaiting the new sump...my LFS is coming over on Monday to fill the tank for me so hopefully sump is here before then, otherwise I’ll just keep some water back and run it just with the canister for a day...hope it doesn’t come to that though.

C6547496-9DCB-452E-95EB-19DB70454A50.jpeg

Bulkheads from inside the tank

B9D581A3-B7C5-4C3C-87A4-96C29EC6E1DA.jpeg

External view. Notice the very thin return pipe for slow return.

Unlucky Mark! Atleast they going to replace it at their cost thats good service!

Yup...wouldn't be a Mark Kunhardt tank build without a tank/sump breaking...maybe I am getting the bad luck out the way this time before its full! :p

wowi i love all the updates in this , haha full swing back to marine

i once gave up with fish all together and practically gave away my 4 ft freshwater tank

not long after i found myself with a small marine tank haha now i love it way too much to ever give it up :D

wowi i love all the updates in this , haha full swing back to marine

i once gave up with fish all together and practically gave away my 4 ft freshwater tank

not long after i found myself with a small marine tank haha now i love it way too much to ever give it up :D

Thanks Stevo...lol yup practically gave away my fresh water fish and plants now before setting up the tank for marine again...was just so over it and wanted the tank empty...thats my problem I get bored too quickly with my tanks and take them down...who knows how long this tank will last. :001_huh:

Hey, I also have a Powerlabs tank. They really good. You’ll enjoy it definitely.... just a tip, try rotating the sump so that the small compartment lies towards the middle and larger compartment towards the far side. It’ll make maintenance easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, I also have a Powerlabs tank. They really good. You’ll enjoy it definitely.... just a tip, try rotating the sump so that the small compartment lies towards the middle and larger compartment towards the far side. It’ll make maintenance easier

Thanks! Thats actually a good idea, I will do that! :D

@faiyaz2 are you also running the slow return method? How is it performing for you?

Yes I’m also doing the slow return method. It’s going fantastic. I was worried that it wouldn’t be enough filtration but it’s kept everything of mine in check. I also have Chaeto in my sump and dose using the Powerlabs reef1,2,3 channels along with the powerbacteria and powerdetox once a week. Check out my thread to see how well my tank is doing.

Tank looks great man.

Thanks Devesh...can’t wait to fill it on Monday.

Yes I’m also doing the slow return method. It’s going fantastic. I was worried that it wouldn’t be enough filtration but it’s kept everything of mine in check. I also have Chaeto in my sump and dose using the Powerlabs reef1,2,3 channels along with the powerbacteria and powerdetox once a week. Check out my thread to see how well my tank is doing.

Cool thanks for the info...will check out your tank thread too.

Thanks Stevo...lol yup practically gave away my fresh water fish and plants now before setting up the tank for marine again...was just so over it and wanted the tank empty...thats my problem I get bored too quickly with my tanks and take them down...who knows how long this tank will last. :001_huh:
hahaha same problem , ill post photos soon , im rescaping for SPS , haha scaping isnt easy as things don't get along very well haha we shall get there though

Back
Top Bottom