Mark's 1.2

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by Stressed Eric, 5 Jul 2009.

1. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

Hey hey :wave2:

Time to introduce the stress causing tank with pictures.

[​IMG]

It's a standard 1.2 x 0.45 x 0.45 m. I've modified it by putting in a 150x150mm overflow and drilling 5 x 25mm holes in the bottom of the tank. Two of these are linked to 32mm standpipes with DIYed durso's, one is for the return line, one for an emergency overflow (open ended right at the top of the box), and one for power cables to enter the top for pumps, etc. I was going for the neat look as much as possible.

My return line is made from 20mm black irrigation piping, it goes down the side of the overflow box, through a "T" connector - the open side acting as a powerhead, under the substrate until the middle where I have another "T" with an upright that's capped off - through which I've drilled an 8mm hole, this cap can turn so I can control the flow out of this :), finally at the other side of the tank I take the pipe upwards and out through another L bend - and this gives flow from that side.

I'm using a Pedrollo submesible pump for the return - I haven't seen anyone using it for this purpose before, but it's way powerful - 350w, and has a flow of 160l/min and head of 10m - because it's so powerful I've had to put a ball valve on the return line just to allow balance between the durso's/scrubber and return. The idea was to create a high flow with this pump and avoid the need for powerheads in the tank - unfortunately that ain't gonna happen, when I crank her up I get wicked micro bubbles .... and I still have low flow areas where detris collects, sigh, so I have 2 baby Seio's to help out.

[​IMG]

I have a 90l Addis container DIYed as a scrubber - it's very much like Mud's unit, with 2 small PC fans and one monster 105w CFL that's pretty damn bright. I'm using 80% shadecloth and am seeing very slight algae growth, no bioload means slow growth I think!

The scrubber feeds into a 3ft tank I've modded with baffles, first section is for the TS2 skimmer - this section also has a 25mm hole drilled in the side which links to my remote sand bed, which links back to the tank's second chamber, there's about a 5cm head difference in the two compartments so the flows perfect over the sand.

[​IMG]

From this compartment it flows through a bubble trap to a larger compartment that has Chaeto (from Tobes:thumbup:, thanks bud!), a little sand and some macro algae I picked up while beach combing a while ago. It's under a 4000K 20w energy saver globe and yoh, growing crazy fast. This is what I picked up - it seems mostly sponge but had so much other life I had to take it with - luckily it was in the breakers when I saw it, so no chance to dry out at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm just a bit worried about the white "mould" that's forming around the sponge - I'll play that by ear I guess, but so far the green stuff is going bossies! It gets about one new section a week.

In the remote DSB, also an Addis 90l container, I've mixed about 75% Umhlali sand with left over reggies play sand to make a nice balance. I've chucked in assorted bit's of rock and stuff picked up along the beach, also a litttle chaeto from the main bunch - I saw how Tobes's sump looked with the millions of feather duster worms emerging from the chaeto and yoh, if I could get mine looking similar, I'll be happy happy.

[​IMG]

The life in there already is amazing, pods, sand noo-noo's, hydroids:o_O:, bristleworms, brittlestars ...... If you look in the hole on the left you'll see a bit of the bristleworm - and the brittle star baby is quite clear.

[​IMG]

Now I'm going to be DIYing the lighting hood - I have an idea to use 2 x 105w energy savers (6500k) on either side of a 250w nepturion 20000k halide - I'm thinking of using straight plain actinic T8's in conjunction with the energy savers just to stop the tank looking like wee .... But these lights will be on a timer set to low activity times. The thought is that these lights will boost coral growth and when the 20k lights come on I'll bring out their flourescence.

I think that's enough for now :wave2::35:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW! Looking awesome, so far, Mark! Great man! Keeping my eyes on this one!

I like the trowel on the top of the tank....

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

looking great !!

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

Eric / Mark ????

6. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric Thread Starter

You're obviously not an avid cartoon watcher !

7. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

looking good man.

8. Tony

Tony

NIce looking tank. Just a question. What is the black box towards the back of the sump?

9. RUAN

RUAN

looks great man keep it up what lighting do you have on the sump

10. crispin

crispin

great looking sump :) intergrated yet simple, you did a good job there:)

tank will take some time but youre off to a great start.

ps also not an avid cartoonist, give us the explanation will ya :)

11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

nice setup!
    keep it going

12. Boendoe

Boendoe

Now that's a sump, nice going :thumbup:

13. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Glad to see that you're getting some growth on your screens already. There should be some inorganic nutrients in your system as there will be die-back in the live sand etc. Very neat setup:thumbup:

14. Annoying

Annoying

Looking great, happy reefing!

15. Prodigy

Prodigy

Looking good
    Good start well done

16. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Looking very good...awesome start :thumbup:

17. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric Thread Starter

Eish, I found the source of my ammonia spike, that white mould stuff on the piece of macro algae was hiding a very rotten black goo that might have been a sponge at some time, euw, had to syphon it out ! Oh well, time to watch the nitrogen cycle a bit longer . . .

18. mnd123

mnd123

Very nice Mark!

19. Tridan

Tridan

Very Nice and neat

20. aslam

aslam

Hello Eric,great setup,look forward to the progress pics.

21. Jaak

Jaak

Nice start mate!! Engine room is looking great!

Recent Posts