Marine Tank Burst !

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by athol@irender.co.za, 4 Jan 2012.

1. athol@irender.co.za

athol@irender.co.za

Welcome to 2012, I certainly did not expect to start this year off with a bang !
    At about 2h30 this morning, I heard a loud cracking noise which sounded like a fire cracker going off, followed by splashing watter. At first I thought we had popped a geyser, but as soon as I arrived in the lounge area, I was met with a stream of salt water gushing from our DT - 1,800x600x800

There was water everywhere, and my first instinct was to save my Profilux 3ex and in do doing, try and cut the power on the Battery backup Power Unit which consists of 2 x 12 Volt Deep Cell Battries connected to an Invertor.

The danger in doing this was that I was sitting down in one inch of saltwater on the tiled floor trying to disconnect the battery supply to the Invertor, because if the main Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker tripped, the Invertor would automatically kick in and supply the system with 230 volt power with no Earth Leakage option available. In other words you can't switch the power source off. Note to self - Build an earth leakage in on the battery backup system on our next installation.

Fortunately I was able to remove the cable from one of the batteries and in so doing, deactivate the Invertor. - Could have been fatal...

We spent the next six hours mopping up the 1,000 liters of salt water. Our house now smells like the seaside !

I managed to get the live rock, corals and fish into the sump below, albeit that it was a rather tight fit. Sofar so good, but I guess time will tell.

At this point in time, I believe we will start all over again, but most likely with a slightly smaller DT - perhaps 1,500x650x650 or so...

I guess we all have a disaster some time or other during this hobby. I just hope that ours is behind us.

I have attached a few pics of the unhappy event...

Have a great 2012 - I am certainly not going to allow this setback to get the better of me...

Take care now

Regards

ATHOL

Last edited: 4 Jan 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Sorry for your incident Athol. and WELCOME to MASA the guys here will help.

4. Annoying

Annoying

Extremely sorry about the tank! Luckily you saved the livestock and you weren't harmed so it could have been worst!

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Before you make decisions. Come to the JHB meet on 21st. You will get a mountain of info from all. Good place to start over.

6. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Sorry to hear, also glad to hear that you not giving up.

7. maj

maj

sorry to hear boet,i started the year out badly aswell in the hobby

hope evrything regulates and u have no more troubles!

8. mandarinman

mandarinman

welcome to masa . I hope all is well with your livestock. question ?what type or make of tank was it and what age if possible to estimate ?!

9. raytone

raytone Raytone

Sorry to hear. I had a couple of weeks the same story about 02:00 in the morning. All of the best with your new build

10. chas84

chas84

Sorry to hear about the burst and glad you're ok and got all the ls sorted. I'm also in Centurion, please feel free to pm me if I can help out.

11. mytank

mytank

welcome to MASA. really sorry to hear this! Glad everything turned out as best as it could. Any idea why the burst open? What size glass were you using?

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

Wow .... Sorry to hear bud ... The story of my life ... I had my 6 foot open up last week but unfortunately lost all my livestock in there all be it 1 clown wrasse .... 3 years of a completely stable tank down the drain ... Chin up dude and glad to see you not giving up ..... All the best ... I'm busy working on a DIY alarm for water levels dropping and rising beyond "normal levels" will keep MASA posted ...... My already shattered heart will not manage another livestock loss like before .....

13. Dlaria

Dlaria

So sorry that happened. I have nightmares about that... Welcome to MASA.

14. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Damn, sorry to hear.
    Its a horrible experience, I've had similar. The neighbours in the flats below were even more pissed off than me !

The upside is you've probably saved most of your livestock.

It would be good to figure out why the tank failed. This way, you can take steps to prevent it happening again.

15. athol@irender.co.za

athol@irender.co.za Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have had the DT for about 10 years. Initially it was a Fresh Water setup until we moved house about four years ago. It stood empty for a year before we decided to setup for marine about two years ago. All went well until two days ago. I have just finished re wiring all my pumps and sensors, and have my Profilux back to normal again. I believe that the problem with the DT possibly came about as a result of moisture in the wooden base which formed part of the total unit I purchased it from a Fish Shop in Centurion, (not Dorry Pets who I know would never have recommended this option).

The glass on the DT was 12mm thick and post formed (curved) in the front two corners where the crack occurred on one of them.

[​IMG]

My next unit will definitely have a galvanized steel base to prevent this from happening again.

16. seank

seank

Good on you

Now you following the safer route :thumbup:

17. mandarinman

mandarinman

Another aqua h20 tank to the collection! You have joined the aqua h20 burst club. i am also a member. hope things are going alright

18. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Damn athol!!!!

Shout if you need help....did the suckers work?

19. athol@irender.co.za

athol@irender.co.za Thread Starter

Hi Lanzo !!!

I could not have moved the DT without the "suckers" you so kindly lent me, as well as the 4 x other Suckers that were painting the house next door.

Thanks for your ongoing support and assistance. Its really great to see how much your business has grown since you moved to our neck of the woods.

Warmest regards

ATHOL

Dlaria likes this.
  20. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Hi Athol, sorry to hear about the loss man, those Aqua H20 tanks are prone to bursting, for it to have lasted 10 years is quite an achievement, great to hear to going forward.

21. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

LOL:lol::lol: Nice one!!

Glad the suckers worked for you:yeahdude:

Recent Posts