Marine System Newbie PRICING opinions needed

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by PON Tang, 5 Apr 2013.

1. PON Tang

PON Tang

Hi guys & gals,

I've just recently bought a new Marine Tank, its sized as follows:1240Lx650Hx450W
    I will try load a pic later. The reason for this thread is that I am at second stage of my system which is buying all the equipment ect to get started. I would like to get your opinions on the prices, cheap, reasonable or expansive? Maybe also your thoughts if anything is missing or just a waste? Please bare in mind I only have the tank and cabinets at this stage.

See the quote below, this quote is from the business that my Tank was originallly purchased from:

Pluming to Sump R289
    Sump Pump. R450
    Pipe +U.Piece. R80
    Bio Balls. R375
    Protein Skimmer. R1210
    Filter media for Sump. R540
    Heater. R120
    Phosphate reactor R900
    Phospan. R270
    Bio Pellets reactor. R900
    Bio Pellets. R320
    2x Vibration Pumps. R300
    Salt R620
    20kg Crushed Coral. R350
    Lights T5 39watts 4x globes. R1850
    Hydrometer. R200
    R.O. Water. R600
    20kg Live Rock. R2000
    Bactor 7. R180
    Prime. R180
    Stability. R180
    1x Thremometer. R110

This excludes delivery and instalation. I'm hoping to buy this all this month

Total: R12024

[​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Apr 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hi

need to know what make of skimmer and pumps etc
    looks good, with that setup note you will be able to keep fish, soft corals, and some LPS corals, you will at some stage you can add more lights as needed

Bio Balls. R375
    Filter media for Sump. R540
    these you can do without and rather get a better skimmer

Bio Pellets reactor. R900
    Bio Pellets. R320
    there are other options for this as well

once again it all depends on your budget as well

the most important items are Live Rock, Skimmer and lights

4. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

A lot of the pricing on equipment depend on the make and age (if buying second hand)
    It would help if you could state the models and age of the pumps, skimmer, heater, lights

Do you still need to get a sump?
    The RO water seems a lot. Given that (according to my calculations) your DT takes approx 360L It works out to R1.60 p/L?

Do you know where your live rock comes from? Origin plays a role in pricing.

In my personal opinion, I would add a few bucks extra, and rather go for a refractometer than a hydrometer.

You might also want to have look at some basic test kits for NO3, pH, PO4

My 2c, The pro's will probably correct me. :)

5. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

@dallasg, you either type very fast, or did not have to think long (due to loads of experience... ) :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. PON Tang

PON Tang Thread Starter

Hi dallas

Wow thanks for the quick response 

I will contact them and see what the makes are.

What are you reasons for more lights? Also is 20kg rock enough I prefer a tank
    that looks full and high features with lots of little hiding place to hopefully add little shrimps too
    my 9 year old daughter wants shrimps and a Nemo 

7. PON Tang

PON Tang Thread Starter

Gesiggie

Thanks for your response

All this stuff is brand new but I have just asked for a more detailed quote to get models.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2013
  8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Agree with the other posts, and with regards to the lights, if they will fit, and I'm sure they will, but double check just in case, try and upgrade from the 3ft tubes (39w) to 4ft tubes (54w), there's no point in putting 3ft tubes over a 4ft tank, unless of course they won't fit in the hood.

9. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

The 20kg liverock seems a bit too little. I have 16kg in my 150L nano.
    Would recomment about 30kg + for your size tank...

Thermometer seems a bit expensive. They normally go for R50 for the normal electronic ones.

Which salt make is that at R620? Make sure it is a coral salt if you want to keep corals otherwise it will be expensive to dose later.

Crushed coral. Make sure you get the finer (0.5-2mm) one, not the gravel/chunk sized ones otherwise they trap silt & detritus & it is more difficult for your cleanup crew to get into...

As @dallasg said. The bioballs & filter media for sump isnt neccesary. The biopellets & reactor can be replaced by the newer & much more effective ORCA Nitra-guard Bio-cubes. (A bit cheaper & a lot more effective!) & you dont need a reactor for that. Just add it to to mesh bag that comes with it & add an airstone...

Oh... Nice looking tank & cabinet!
    What is your livestock plans for the tank? Fish only or full coral tank?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. PON Tang

PON Tang Thread Starter

Just confirmed that 4ft 54w lights will fit so I have asked for a revised quote.
    Thanks for the tip Viper!

11. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

Bactor 7. R180
    Prime. R180
    Stability. R180

These are good, but I'd suggest rather using Microbe Lift Special Blend, and use the extra R400 to get some test kits.

For additonal rock consider getting something likethe Caribsea Primo Reef Rock to add to the 20kg liverock. Will save you about a R1000 than if you only buy additional live rock.

I'd also like to suggest you design your sump to accommodate a RO (25l or thereabouts) water reservoir and then get an Automatic Top Off unit.

Pricing though seems quite reasonable, jsut take the advice of everyone here just to avoid buying what you don't really need, and then invest the savings into upgrading the quality of the stuff you do need (skimmers, lighting etc.)

12. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i agree with Albert above...

i know exactly which shop you got that from, i know the work, do you have 1 or 2 sumps?

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Post a pic of your sump.
    These tanks used to come out with a sump that fits into the one side of the cabinet only. They are good for fish only systems, but not for SPS dominated tanks. Maybe with the new Orca Cubes you can run with the smaller sump design.

What skimmer is in the quote. One for 1200 brand new sounds not right.

Most important equipment are skimmer and lights. Then live rock.

14. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

MY opinions are in red

15. PON Tang

PON Tang Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice for adding extra rock. I have asked for this to be done and yes it works out way cheaper!

16. PON Tang

PON Tang Thread Starter

I'm going to upload a picture of what I think is my sumps for your comments[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Apr 2013
  17. PON Tang

PON Tang Thread Starter

Pls see post below of my sump for you comments

18. PON Tang

PON Tang Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments. The U-Piece is part of the plumbing form the weir to the sumps I think. Still waiting for revised quote stating types and models. I have also asked to use a refractometer instead.

19. PON Tang

PON Tang Thread Starter

We get a lot power outage in Greenatone where I live. What's you take on UPS's?
    Unfortunitly we are not allowed any generators in our estate. What will a UPS cost? Have any of you got one? Is it worth getting now?

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A UPS can only go that far, until its depleted. You need to have a generator available for longer power outages. Your UPS should last your office working hours. Thereafter use minimum 700W to 1000W generator. Bigger is better, but your tank can go 2 to 3 days without lights. If you are the only person with a generator on a 24 hour outage, then its just the jealous neighbours that will complain.

21. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

If you go with NP pellets I would strongly suggest a UPS for it. NP Pellets worked fine when I had them, only problem is we would get 3hrs power outages. All the bacteria would die in the reactor and made my house stink and had to start the process over of colonizing the pellets. I would suggest rather go bio cubes and get your self a battery powered air pump. They have saved my tank MANY a time when power was out for long periods just pop the airstone on and switch it on. Simple. To me its as important as light & filtration

Recent Posts