Marine Species NOT for beginners

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by FransSny, 27 Jun 2009.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Guys,

Found this article on an international forum (aquahobby.com), first time on that forum so I cant comment on all the info there but I like the idea of this . Could we not maybe start something similar with our members input ?

It might stop LFS's conning beginners into buying stuff they are not ready for ?

Marine Species NOT for the Beginner:

Removed text on authors request - Jacques

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Jun 2009
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Maybe just highlight the sub headings Frans. Good idea though, and good info

4. Jaak

Jaak

Nice idea frans. Good read.

5. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Shot sean...done ! makes it easier to read.

reason for something like this I was in an LFS a few weeks ago where a ribbon eel was being "pushed on an unsuspecting victim". The pich was so good even I was tempted :p

6. Jaak

Jaak

Like always, they're trying to make a quick sale so they don't end up losing money on the animal...:(

7. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

FransSny...very valuable information, excellent idea...

8. Anemone

Anemone

I like it! Awesome idea! Somebody run with it!

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Yes, this is a GOOD IDEA, and something we should have done long ago - however, we should not use this particular post, as it was "pirated" from another Forum without permission.

One of the Mods or Admin should contact aquahobby.com and obtain permission to use this, or (better still) we should write our own version, and make it more relevant to us here in South Africa, or international, and not directed at the USA (as so many marine articles are...). This should then be made a sticky.

Hennie

10. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Agreed Hennie

My idea was not too use their article, but just to give everyone a "point of origin" of how we can start do.

I see there seems a lot of interest in something similar. Maybe the Mods should close this thread rather and I will start a new one and ALL members can contribute from their personal experience etc.

11. Anemone

Anemone

I agree Hennie. Permission needs to be granted or our own version needs to be written. Perhaps even add to it, such as the species that are listed as endangerd to bring even more attention to beginners and even advanced hobbiests.

12. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Something like this was started before, a few members put forward names of fish that they thought were not suitable, not sure what happened to it, will have to try and find it.

13. mookz

mookz

Puffer fish should be added, they are amazing fish, with great personality's but are extremely hard to keep due to sensitive skin, being highly toxic,messy eaters and destructive in tanks with snails,crustaceans, corals...well pretty much anything.
    They love to "test" everything with their sharp/strong beaks.

14. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Think all predators should be added

15. mookz

mookz

True, but there are exceptions to the rule, i think we should make lists of all common species and then list the exceptions i.e. like the morays and sharks being very messy eaters but Zebra Eels, Snow flakes, Barred etc morays and Bamboo Shark, well most "cat sharks" are not that difficult/messy to keep. and maybe even add like a expertise level next to each species. from easy through to extreme or something.

(This also all depends on what they are being fed, also where a person lives i.e. close to the coast being able to collect live food)

16. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Frans - have you asked for permission from where you obtained this list - if not pm me the site i i will do it - this article is a MUST read before purchasing fish.

17. crispin

crispin

excelent read and very valuable. I have also been taking some pics of what NOT to buy from a LFS as a guide to newbies, but i only have half a dozen pics or so. Things like White spot and lateral line errosion, different fish species (cleaners etc)

i must confess Ive always been tempted by a ribbon eel but have researched it as i have not been in a postion tank wise to keep on, now i'll give it a wide birth

18. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Crispin...maybe you should start a new thread...Im in eneough K@k already ;)

Thanks Mike...dint think I was doing harm and didnt give it away as my own (i site aquahobby.com). It came up under a google search, no registration etc etc...therefore according to my knowledge it is governed by creative commons.

Not sure though...please correct me if I am wrong...dont want to make the same mistake again :p

19. viper357

Best just to put in a link to the site that you got the info from, internet etiquette if you will :p

20. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanks Viper....still new at the forum thing...but hear what you are saying...will do

21. viper357

We might still get shouted at and asked to remove it, but generally if there is a link to the original article/info then it's mostly accepted as being ok, depending if it's copyrighted or not, some sites are ok with it, some not.

Recent Posts