Marine/Reef salt ingredients

Reaction score
Morning guys , I am a Freshwater guy , but keeping Frontosa , and soon getting my very own Wild caughts , eventhough Frontosa needs high ph & gh & kh water , I have learned that one uses Buffers to their water , also for extra magenesium & calcium , so by adding Marine Salt I can add little bit of this ,
who can explain to me what does marine and reef salt exactly consist of??
and why does it get warm when I premix some in little bit tank water?

Last edited:
i am not exactly sure what elements is exactly in marine salt. but im prity sure marine salt contains a little bit more than just calcium and magnesium. if you want to raise magnesium and calcium why not adding just those? im not to familiar with what you want to achieve. it might be a better option to join one of the tropical forums????

It gets warm because it contains calcium chloride, which when mixed with water has an exothermic reaction....

i am not exactly sure what elements is exactly in marine salt. but im prity sure marine salt contains a little bit more than just calcium and magnesium. if you want to raise magnesium and calcium why not adding just those? im not to familiar with what you want to achieve. it might be a better option to join one of the tropical forums????
I want to use all the good elements that in marine salt , calcium & magnesium being the top ones

In our saltwater tanks when we run out of ca or mg we dose them seperately. Many products on the market just for those elements. Marinesalt has all sort of other trace elements aswell that you might not need or want in your tank

In our saltwater tanks when we run out of ca or mg we dose them seperately. Many products on the market just for those elements. Marinesalt has all sort of other trace elements aswell that you might not need or want in your tank
thank you Dexter , one of the DIY buffers to a rift lake tank is 1x teaspoon Bi-carb , 1x teaspoon marine salt & 1x tablespoon epsom salt per 19L aquarium water , so marine salt is good for our tanks in a way

Not certain how your fish will react to other trace elements in sea salt but guys running fish only systems usually run with less expensive salts as they dont usually require the trace elements for their fish.

If the addition of these elements are to target specific chemistry compositions it will be best to advise this board what these are if it is known. That will likely produce more informed thoughtful response. I see you say calcium and magnesium being the top ones but at what concentration do you require them at.

Salts on the market each mix at different parameters these days and alot of guys will confirm that not all salts are created equal hence it will be rather difficult to say for sure what the exact composition is.

Not certain how your fish will react to other trace elements in sea salt but guys running fish only systems usually run with less expensive salts as they dont usually require the trace elements for their fish.

If the addition of these elements are to target specific chemistry compositions it will be best to advise this board what these are if it is known. That will likely produce more informed thoughtful response. I see you say calcium and magnesium being the top ones but at what concentration do you require them at.

Salts on the market each mix at different parameters these days and alot of guys will confirm that not all salts are created equal hence it will be rather difficult to say for sure what the exact composition is.
Thank you for your response , Like stated in my previous statement , Marine salt is used in our diy buffer recipe @ 1x teaspoon per 19L aquarium water added with Bi-card & Epsom salt to raise & buffer ph , gh & kh levels.
I am only trying to find out what is Marine salts made of/what it consists of/ these of which we are aware it contains mag & cal.This is now for Rift lake cichlids.I am only trying to get to the source of what Marine does , or consists of , what elements can be found & what is the effect of it in our Rift lake tanks , no one seems to know the exact answer to that.

Does Marine salt contain traces of Non-iodized salt? (sodium chloride)

okay , I found my answers
7a501c75a21bb0744e9bf4a20ee8e1af.jpg

Back
Top Bottom