Marine ponds

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by frankie fish, 13 Sep 2009.

1. frankie fish

frankie fish

This is a new project that i want to start, at home i have a pond,outside,it's about 2m*1.5 and is about 900cm deep. if it is worthwile,and possible,i am looking to expand the pond size to 3m*2m*1m(depth will vary from deep to shallow to a small "beach" area. this is my plan
    - I rebuild the walls,plaster it and paint it with a suitable rubberising agent
    - I dig a suitable hole for a overflow,which will lead to the filter
    - Dig another hole for a "wave" effect, a rotating arm with a piston like motion
    that will suck, and flush water back into the pond to create that " motion of the
    ocean"
    - Add a suitable substrate, coastal sand for example
    - Build a rocky formation,some overhangs and nice spots for corals
    - Add RO water,salt and LR,and leave it to cycle
    My main concerns are rapid water evaporations,causing continious fluctuations in the parameters, but to balance it out i'm planning to connect the RO unit permanently,and let it work like a flushbowl. Then heating the water,will the winter have a negative effect, and will a decent chiller help?
    I really need some good help and advice before i start the project, but will it be possible to achieve it here in Gauteng?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW Frankie! AWESOME project mate! This would be an ABSOLUTELY GREAT one!

Please search MASA for the pond at the one LFS in the Eastern side of Jo'burg.....

I would think, that - IF you can include a HUGE scrubber section, that you should be able to do without a RO filter..... The Algae scrubber should be able to remove a HUGE amount (MOST) of the crap out of "normal" tap water....

Also - remember - an outside marine pond would get a LOT of rainwater - so, this too would be something you would have to contend with.....
    And the rain in Jo'burg might just be a wee bit acidic.... so - this would have to be planned for as well.....

BUT - why not, hey!

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

wonderful project !!

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Sounds like a good idea,

but,
    You are in Vereeniging, I stayed in VanderBijl for a year. And it get really cold there. In winter you will have some real problems with keeping the temperature constant. Expect a big jump in your electricity usage.

Keep rainwater in mind. And with Iscor close by and a lot of other heavy industries, I believe rainwater will be polluted. I used to wear contact lenses and had constant eye infections because of bad air quality. Doctor actually advised me to go back on glasses. But then I used to work out in Sebokeng.

My opinion, I would make the pond a Koi pond and rather use the money to upgrade my tank in the house.

There is somewhere on MASA a thread on a guy around Durban that do have a big outside marine pond. Maybe there are some tips there

6. Adee

Adee

Check out Peter Bee's FS in the Westrand, has a huge marine pond, albeit covered with clear fiberglass that keeps the elements away.

Research properly though, as I think trial and error will determine if its a path worth having taken.

7. Tony

Tony

Nice idea. Go visit Peter Bee in Krugersdorp and look at his for ideas. I was there last week and it a stunner of a tank

8. frankie fish

frankie fish Thread Starter

thanx,i have a lot of planning to do,as well as serious research,this will probably take months,but if not,why not?

9. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

Noice project, but I think the winter chills will have an effect on the water

10. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Lekker project...

Recent Posts