Marine Oomed

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by stevengrant, 13 Apr 2011.

1. stevengrant

stevengrant

Had a small outbreak of ick with the introduction of fish collected. Started dosed with "Marine Oomed" on Monday evening. All the ick seems to have gone - The tank seems fine after the medication.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

keep and eye on them for atleast 2 weeks. then ill feel relaxed

4. Pads

Pads

I have used this product before and I can't say that it did much for my tank. You need to keep medicating for a period with Water Changes. The Ich parasite has a life cycle and may appear to have died out but is busy spawning.

Make sure your tank maintenance is good, ensure the fish are eating well, check that all parameters are in order, this will go a long way to fighting off infections. But most importantly I select my fish with care, a lot of losses can be avoided by asking the right questions and by not buying on impulse.

Ask how long the fish has been in for, if you've asked for it to be reserved then wait a few weeks before taking home. Make sure the fish is not emaciated, discoloured, breathing heavily, unusually shy, carrying signs or Ich.

IMO these factors go a long way to ensuring the fish stays a live in your tank.
    A healthy fish will often fight off infections.

Good luck with the Ich

5. stevengrant

stevengrant Thread Starter

My fish are all caught locally in East London. Even the sea is not free of parasites!

My Green Star Polyps and Zooanthus all seem unaffected by the medication which was what I was initially concerned about - I don't even like taking medication for myself.

6. Pads

Pads

Its usually stress that lowers the immune system of the fish to the point that the Ich can infect. The oomed is reef safe thus your corals should be unaffected.
    I'm not convinced by medicating the tank so I steer clean where I can. I hope you come right ;)

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

[​IMG]
    Live cycle of itch.
    You are targeting the Tomites (free swimming stage) and a bit the matured Trophonts. Only a few hours.
    Trophonts on the fish and Tomonts is safe from all medication.

8. Pads

Pads

Riaan to save the day, I'm glad someone had the patience to insert the Ich cycle. Thx, I could be arsed to go digging. :p

Last edited: 13 Apr 2011
  9. Sentari

Sentari

What fish had the ICH? Do you have a regal tang?

10. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Temperature has also a lot to do with the ich cycle. The Higher the water temperature the quicker the rate of infection etc as it shortens the time it takes for the thomonts to hatch. So try not to steer into the 27 + area. You will loose your fish.

I am also a firm believer in Hypo Salinity treatment. I have tried all of the "reefsafe bottle fixes" recently as I was to lazy to catch them and treat them with Hypo. Well... I lost nearly all my fish.

my 2c

11. stevengrant

A Lavender Tang that I caught locally - it was new to the tank so would be a little stressed too. It has lost all the spots after the treatment but obviously this could also be due to the Ick Life Cycle.

Other people have said thet they have had positive results with just a few days of treatment and the Ick never came back. I hope that I caught this Ick before all the cycles started and that it never comes back.

Tangs are meant to be very susceptible to Ick even in the wild.

12. Sentari

Sentari

Yep you will probably get ICH a few times before the fish calms down.

My Regal and Sailfin Tang has ICH 4 times before i quarantined all my fish for 6 weeks before putting them back. Therefore the ICH in the water died and my fish calmed down.

This is also a last resort.

13. stevengrant

Every morning the Ick is gone but by the afternoon there are very small spots on the tang but least they are getting fewer and fewer by the day

Recent Posts