Marine Newbie

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am a newbie in saltwater aquariums and want to start my first tank soon... I've been reading alot on the internet and this forum as well so hopefully you can help me out.

I have to keep costs to a minimum but so far my plans are for a 4 foot tank with a 3 foot sump.

any ideas on where to get cheap good tanks? or diy tanks cheapest option?

Reaction score
Welcome to MASA. Check out the for sale forum there are often some good prices their.

Reaction score
welcometomasa

Highlander, you have come to the right spot for marine info.

I would suggest trying to get a 2nd hand tank, check out the for sale section, going be way cheaper than buying new

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
welcome to the forum, marine and limited budget are not best companions, do keep an eye out for second hand bargains though.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome Highlander, you'll learn a lot on this site, that's for sure. Some clever and clued up guys and gals here. ;)

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have been looking at the for sale section for 2nd hand stuff but there's not that much and in jhb. Thats why im thinking of a diy job.

I know going marine is definately not a budget thing to do, but a few diy jobs, 2nd hand stuff, and good contacts can go a long way.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have been looking at the for sale section for 2nd hand stuff but there's not that much and in jhb. Thats why im thinking of a diy job.

I know going marine is definately not a budget thing to do, but a few diy jobs, 2nd hand stuff, and good contacts can go a long way.
Yep, just keep trying, it is worth it, but don't scrimp on the liverock, get the best you can afford it will pay you back no end.

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome Highlander.

DIY is definitely a good way to improve your DIY skills. Most of the stuff for smaller setups (bigger setups tend to have more savings as you're paying less for shipping, buying stuff more in bulk possibly, etc) however ends up costing about the same as a properly done DIY project though. Some things lend themselves better to DIY though. eg. auto topup systems with a float switch are easy peasy, for acrylic work etc a calcium reactor is pretty easy, but a protein skimmer that works well is a lot trickier...

There's a helluva lot of second hand stuff available at the moment. Try to plan your system as much as you can, including a rough budget and then take a look around to see if you can get a good deal.

moz

Reaction score
Welcome highlander, you could most likely start with the basics then add items as you need them. You don't need that much flow or light while cycling.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
A very WARM welcome to MASA, highlander! I am very glad that you found and joined us!

Have a look around - read up a LOT. Have a look at the questions asked in the other "New Members" threads.

Please ask many questions yourself.

Enjoy the journey! You are in the company of fellow "addicts"!

Good luck!