Marine newbie!! Please help!

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Cookie, 28 Mar 2012.

1. Cookie

Cookie

I'm here from TASA! Nice to meet our salty siblings, this was a post over in TASA, I was actually wondering why I never saw any salty posts.. So I was directed here! (copy and pasting my post from over there!)

Okay.. So MTS has bitten my partner and I pretty bad.. So for his birthday his present is (surprise surprise!) a new fish tank

We're planning on turning this into a Saltwater tank.. And I have never kept any saltwater fish of any kind before, neither has he.

This is where you guys come in!

Throw everything you have at me! Am (hopefully) going to have a 430L tank by next week that I can start cycling, we want to do this pretty slowly and just get things up and running then slowwwwly add a community.

I need to know:
    - Pretty much everything that I need for the basic set up (including equipment, feel free to write a shopping list :p )
    - Easy beginner's fishes and specific needs (Clownfish and a Blue Tang are pretty much definites, I want a Nemo & Dory!!!)
    - Maintenance

Act like I'm a total noob at fishkeeping.. I like small words and pictures :)

Any help is GREATLY appreciated! I have no idea where to start.. (a tank is always a good start though I guess.. hehe)

Thanks in advance for anything anyone can tell me

PS.. My partner is dead set on having his "Jedi Fish" as he calls them.. (Banggai Cardinal), any help on these would be amazing.. there's no budging him from this fish lol

-Kay

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. AdamVR

AdamVR

:welcometomasa2:

Please post an intro of yourself New Members - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Check out the links in @Tobes signature.

IMHO, get the tank LAST. It forces you to do things properly, not the way I started out.

And remeber: NGHFOAIROIAFT (nothing good happens fast on an ice rink or in a fish tank)

Happy fishkeeping buddy!

Last edited: 28 Mar 2012
  4. crispin

crispin

hello Kay and welcome to masa :)

great to hear you want to have a go at salt water fish (i am sure corals, inverts and all the other things will come soon enough too) and its not hard to do. There are many of us who started with freshwater and converted over to marines, its a challenge with respect to the amount on info one needs to know about each thing you plan on keeping and how they will interact with each other but thats also the facination of salt ater tanks. We are here to help you as much as you like:) the fish you list are all relativley easy to keep once you get the basics in husbandry and equipment right:)

a 430l tank sounds great, especially if its drilled and plumbed with an over flow and a decent sump, but lets start with the simple things and have a look at the dimensions you want to go with- Can you list those for us?

Are you getting the tank made, or are you planning to DIY it?

5. Cookie

Cookie Thread Starter

I just had a quick skim through the info in some of the beginners guides.. and I have to say.. WOW. I honestly didn't know there was so much to learn! I thought I knew a lot about freshwater til I joined TASA, and thought saltwater couldn't be too hard, but just wow lol.. I definitely need to take some time to sit and read through all this!

The tank we have in mind is pretty much a freshwater tank, no special bits or anything.. Which is why I'm now worried! lol, the dimensions are 1200x450x800 :)
    We also have a 2ft tank that could possibly be turned into a sump, but I'm honestly completely clueless :( I just know that marine fish are genuinely breath-taking!

How much time is going to need to be spent on maintenance? Am kind of worried now because we are currently in the process of getting a nice Betta collection ready for breeding, so my time will be quite tied up with the fry, on top of studying and working!

6. Dee318i

Dee318i

Welcome to masa, enjoy!!!

7. Cookie

Cookie Thread Starter

Thank you! :)

8. Cookie

Cookie Thread Starter

Is there any way of getting around the need for a sump? We're very limited on space, and I'm not sure we'll have enough room for an extra tank (I think - back to the tape measure!)

(We were hoping to use the extra 2' tank for breeding our Bettas)

9. AdamVR

AdamVR

The whole idea of a sump is to hide all the equipment like skimmer, heater and pumps out of sight. What exactly you want in your system you have to decide i.e. a DSB, reactors etc. but smaller systems can be run successfully without sumps. Your DT is approx 400L, so a sump would be recommended.

A sump doesn't have to be a glass box, you can also use plastic containers or big buckets, but building a nice glass sump yourself isn't going to cost you that much in terms of the total system outlay, a good skimmer rated for 1000L will probably cost you twice to 3 times the amount of a glass sump.

Also a 60L sump on a 400L system is on the smallish side, you will probably only be able to fit a skimmer and a return pump in there.

Your sump can even be in another room or the garage, it doesn't have to be right underneath the DT.

IMHO

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yes you can run a marine tank without a sump. I, and many others have done so for years. You can use two canister filters or a reactor or two to run a very successful tank. Hang on and internal skimmers are available so a sump is not a must. The guys in the know on this forum will help you in this regards.

11. Cookie

Cookie Thread Starter

I would much rather not use the sump for now with our space limits.

Are there any threads with more advice on setting up a tank without the sump but with the other equipment we'll need?

Also, if you buy a marine tank from a pet store (the big fancy ones), do they have all of the required equipment included? or will there still be a need to build a separate system?

Also, we plan on running the tank without livestock for around 5/6 months, but with coral etc placed to build up the 'ecosystem' before we add our community.

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Great, then we will sea you at AquariumExpo2012 to discuss your needs. Come along and have a chat to all the aquariusts and exhibitors to ensure your tank is a success. See you their.

13. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Some "Newbie" Info to steer you in the right direction...
    Newbie INFO..
    Starting With Marines - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Starting a Marine tank - What to buy first - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Starting a Marine Tank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    New to Marines- Please listen!!!!!!!!!! - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Most Important..."THE CYCLE"...
    Marine Aquarium Cycle - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Livestock...
    Your First Marine Invertebrates - Choosing a Clean up crew - CUC - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Easy Soft Corals For Your Reef Tank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Your First Hard Corals: LPS Hard Corals - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Water Parameters
    Ideal Water Parameters - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    What to test for and why - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

DIY...
    BASIC Sump Design - Illustrated - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Types of Overflows, an Illustrated Guide - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Extra....

Reefkeeping 101 – Sumps! by Marc Levenson - Reefkeeping.com

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part I by Greg Taylor - Reefkeeping.com
    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part II by Greg Taylor - Reefkeeping.com
    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part III by Greg Taylor - Reefkeeping.com

Last edited: 29 Mar 2012
  14. mitchel

mitchel

Howzit cookie welcome to the marine world.get as much info as you can dont rush into it,dont take short cuts cause this hobbie can kick your ass.ive been keeping marines for 7 years and im still learning.i see you in randberg not far from me if you wana come see my setup let me know.

15. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

Hi Cookie,

What space constraints do you have with regards the sump? Are you planning on placing the tank on a stand on on a solid surface like maybe on a kitchen counter, where it would not be practical/possible to place a sump underneath?

I know people have run tanks successfully without using a sump, but I would really recommend using one - a 3 foot sump on a four foot tank will be fine.

Basic equipment list:

Tank
    Sump
    Plumbing components
    Skimmer
    Heater (300w or maybe 2x200W)
    Return pump (around 5000l/h)
    2-3 flow pumps/powerheads (around 3000-5000l/hr each)
    Lighting - Recommend getting a second hand unit to keep costs down. many options available depending on your eventual coral stocking list desired (T5, MH, LED or a combination of the three). Possible options of this size tank:
    1) 2x150W MH with maybe 2 x 54W T5 tubes for supplementation of actinic/blue lights - coudl keep just about anything with this combo.

2) 4-6 54W t5's - good for softies, most LPS and selected SPS corals.

LED I do not know much about but there are some good systems available.

16. Punisher

Punisher

welcometomasa

:1:

17. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined us :)

18. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA

19. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome

Basically this is what you are looking for. DT with the sump under. If you dont have a sump your DT will look crap with all the equipment inside. Rather do things slowly and right the 1st time

[​IMG]

20. mandarinman

mandarinman

i thought you were the guy in the know!?!

Recent Posts