Marine Learner

Hi All,

Photo's of the Completed Stand. Need to "decide" on a paint option!!

Also, got the Return Pump (Waveline DC5000)

Next Steps :

1. Getting the Stand Painted and Protected.
2. Assemble Sump.

Will let you know of my progress!

Thanks for all the assistance thus far!!

001.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

470.jpg

Hi All,

Photo's of the Completed Stand. Need to "decide" on a paint option!!

Also, got the Return Pump (Waveline DC5000)

Next Steps :

1. Getting the Stand Painted and Protected.
2. Assemble Sump.

Will let you know of my progress!

Thanks for all the assistance thus far!!

Galvanize the stand!

If you want to galvanize it, you need to drill at least 6mm holes at the end of each closed off tube. That is to allow the air to escape out the top as the liquid enters the bottom hole.

Else you can powdercoat it. But powdercoating do not last forever.

Or paint it with Hameright paint.

Hi @RiaanP,

Living in the FAR, FAR West Rand, every time I ask one of our Local Hardware / Paint shops for hammerite paint, they have NO IDEA what I am talking about????

Has anyone tried Car paint for the Tank Stands?? - It should be a "robust" paint??

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

Can anyone suggest a Stocking List for the tank??

I have ZERO Experience with this, and would like to add a good variety of fish and coral to the tank....

Thanks Again!!

What is the L x W x H?
You could always go for gobies as bottomdwellers
Few middle swimmers like clowns (or others in the damsel family)
You may not be able to keep tangs (Depending on length of tank) as they like straight swimming space.
Also, depending on Coral, you could add a small angel and butterfly.

Both your coral and fish choice will depend on your lifestyle.
Are you prepared for 4 daily feedings ? Then anthias may be an option
Do you spend loads of time in the house limited time away from home, then you could (later on, when you have an established system) go for anemones , hammers.
Are you prepared to target feed? Then suncoral can work.
The easiest to start off with are zoas and mushrooms.
But the most important is to read up on each LS specific care, and decide if you can handle that.
If not, stick to clowns and mushrooms...
Myself, for instance, do leave the tank on it's own for 3 days at a time, rather often, thus I chose to keep fish that only need pellets (on autofeeder) and nothing else. Keeping LS that fit my lifestyle. As much as I love suncorals, I have to avoid them... You catch my drift...

Last edited:
@Gesiggie, the tank is 1.2 x 0.52 x 0.5.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely have to read up on the different LS...!!

Would a 1.2m length be adequate for the Tangs....??!!!

Thanks for All the Help....!!!:tt2:

Hi CyberSlakkie,
You might get away with one or 2 yellow tangs, as they require the least swimming space of all the "common" tangs that we get in SA.
The other tangs in general needs at least a 420L setup..
Another option If you REALLY have to have a tang, is to get a baby, but then you would have to be prepared to let it go in a couple of month's time, when it outgrows your system. This is not the best option however, as one tends to get attached to these little critters, ant then do not want to let go of them...

Edit: The Cole tang also qualifies for your system.

Last edited:
You might get away with one or 2 yellow tangs
not really. They will take on each other. Unless you got plenty of rock, caves, tunnels and getting away space.

Can get away with tangs that are not in the same direct family.

Thanks @ Gesiggie and @RiaanP..!!

This weekend was Sump Build Weekend!!

I have tested the sump this morning, and running the DC-5000 at Full Pump Speed, all seemed to be functioning perfectly!

I now need to get the stand back from Painting, so that the system can be rigged up.

I have 2 x 200W Glass Heaters, where will they be installed in the Sump?? - Will I add this to the 1st Stage, Skimming Area?

I do not have a "auto top up system", and have had a couple of heaters blow up due to the water level in the last compartment evaporating....!!

Thanks for all the help!

388.jpg

385.jpg

380.jpg

where will they be installed in the Sump

It appears as if the compartment with the highest water level, would be compartment 3 (on the right in first pic) That is where I would place it. The first compartment (on the left) is where I assume is where the return pump would be placed, and that might run the risk of running dry.

The middle compartment(s) could also work, depending with what you are going to place there. In which case it might be to shallow to keep the heaters under water.

@Gesiggie This is a 3 way compartment sump. The centre area will be a 15cm DSB. As far as following the forum, and assistance from @RiaanP, this seems to be the all round best option for a beginner.

I will install the heaters in the first comp.

Thanks for the assistance..!!

@Rossi, thanks..!! The only 'concern' I have, is that the booklet states that it should only be used in freshwater...???

is that the booklet states that it should only be used in freshwater...???
I saw that, but on the box and another place in booklet they say salt and freshwater. But do not run it in a swimming pool.

@RiaanP - I have bought equipment on these forum's as well as through the JunkMail.

Can you please advise how I go about "cleaning" all the equipment, so that I do not add any disease to my tank??

Do you use any detergents to clean the Skimmer, etc??

I've always used a vinegar and fresh RO water mix to soak the equipment for a few hours or a day and then a good scrub and we good to go.

Back
Top Bottom