Marine Learner

Discussion in 'New Members' started by CyberSlakkie, 27 Dec 2012.

1. CyberSlakkie

CyberSlakkie

Hi All,

Based in the West Rand. Currently have a 120LT Marine Tank running, built in sump.

Busy rigging up a 315LT DT, and planning a 120LT Sump.

I am very new to this hobby, and have already learned so much, JUST from reading the other threads!!

I am adding a couple of photo's of the current system, as well as the STAND for the new 300LT Tank setup.

Thanks!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

Hi and welcome to MASA. Hope you enjoy your stay here with us. :thumbup:

4. CyberSlakkie

CyberSlakkie Thread Starter

Just a bit of detail.....

The Skimmer will actually be used on the 300LT Tank, thus the "untidy" installation...... - The 120LT Tank does not have the required space for the Skimmer.....

In the tank, I have two clowns, a damsel and an Eel....

I need to find out what fish I can keep together, as this EEL has eaten my Goby, and cleaner shrimps!!!

See also new Tank Stand being built. Still need to do the bracing.....

Cheers!!

485.jpg

486.jpg

488.jpg

5. CyberSlakkie

Just a Query.....

1.) what is the best display tank vs sump volume ratio?

Thanks Again..!

6. CyberSlakkie

I am struggling with a proper SUMP Layout??

Also, is there any reason why I cannot install perspex baffles into a standard 3 / 4 foot tank and design the sump in this manner??

I have an idea on what I want to do, will attach a image for that a bit later on!

Thanks All!!!

7. Rossi

Rossi

masahello @RiaanP can help with sump design and advice

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello And Welcome CyberSlakkie

That stand is strong enough to carry a car.

Anyway, the tried and trusted sump design is the 3 chamber design. And in the order of Mechanical, Biological then chemical. First chamber Skimmer. Second a DSB, cheato, live rock. Last reactors for carbon and phosphate removers in the return chamber, if you want to use carbon.

Find out the prices of plexiglass. In South Africa, glass is cheaper than perspex. That is why everybody here uses glass.

Sump size compared to display tank. AS BIG AS POSSIBLE. The bigger the better. Especially if you want to run a DSB. Other biological filtration options are available lately, like NP pellets or Orca cubes. They take less space but are more expensive than cheap playsand. Your choice.

Keeping some space in or close by to the sump for a RO chamber, is another good option. Can be a glass tank or even a plastic drum. A tank evaporates about 10% water per week, OK OK there are factors that impact that, like fans, algae scrubber, open windows, winter or summer.... But 10% is at least some figure to work with. Your RO drum should be able to hold enough for your system to let you go away without worrying if tank sitter will remember to fill it. On that, the return chamber must at least hold 2 days evaporation before the return pump runs dry. That is a weekend. 3 days are better. So 10% times your total system volume divide by 7 multiplied by the number of days you want your margin to be. Auto top up will fail one day. Mine never does, but I go away for 2 weeks and within the first days the level sensor fell off. My dad realized something was wrong as he could hear the return pumps sucking air. But did not know what to do. Luckily my brother does not stay to far and he could came over to help out.

I also like a deep sump. The water level in my DSB section to be as deep as possible. Gives you a space that you can use as refugium, plus the return chamber would hold more water as discussed in the prior point. So I run the water level in the return chamber about 20mm lower than my central chamber.

Baffles are not that needed. They wast space in terms of a bigger DSB. But if you want to run mega return pump, do expect that bubbles from skimmer could travel too fast and could end up in the return pump. A baffle between first and second chamber could be useful. But I'm not using one on my main display.

If the water level in the sump is too deep for the skimmer, drowning it, you could always lift the skimmer on PVC pipes and or eggcrate.

That is a lot of info. Enjoy

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

oh, one more thing,

I like the dividers on a 3 chamber sump to be 5 or 10mm different in height. So that the water step down a bit from skimmer to DSB, then drop down max 20mm into return. That would result in the cetral chamber water level being slightly lower than skimmer.

Reason for the slight difference is that if your skimmer intake pump takes more water than the return pump. then you could find water being sucked back to skimmer chamber from the DSB or refugium. Resulting in small little pieces of cheato eventually blocking up the pin wheel impeller. Also in cases where your return pump is switched off for a water change and your skimmer keeps on running.

10. Salie

Salie

masahello

11. CyberSlakkie

@RiaanP

Thanks for the feedback. I will attach a EXCELL drawing, currently the best drawing package I have available!!, for comments.

12. CyberSlakkie

Does anyone know where I can have my Tank Stand Powder Coated???

Followed a couple of threads, and this seems as the BEST solution to corrosion!!

Also, where can I find some of the rubber foam used in place of polystyrene on a couple of builds I have followed??

Thanks!

13. CyberSlakkie

Thanks to Louwtjie for the NICE Tank STAND..!!!!!

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Nope, Download Google Sketchup - ITS FREE... Like cheato. Not much else nowadays are.

Or galvanized. But you need to drill holes in the stand so that no square tube is blocked. Else it will explode during the process.

JMP.co.za.
    Just not sure on the type.

15. CyberSlakkie

So, this is what I have in mind for the 3 compartment tank. - (The sizes are a bit off, as I will be using a standard 3ft tank.....!)

I will have the return pump split flow between the Tank, and the Refugium compartment.

The Skimmer will be in the 1st compartment, with the bio - pellet reactor. I am also thinking of going DIY for the phosphate reactor.

The first half of the refugium compartment will house as much Live Rock as I possibly can fit, and the second half the macro algae.

Should the landscaping in the DT be made with Live Rock??

Sump_Complete.jpg

16. Ayoob

Ayoob

welcometomasa

17. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

It does not matter what rock you use, all rock will eventually become live rock in your system :).
    It might, however, speed up your cycle process if you use live rock.

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yeah and then yeah.
    What you want is the most surface area you can get out of whatever you use in your sump. The more surface area there are for bacteria to populate, the better. That is why proper liverock is so good. But liverock is expensive. Playsand is cheap. Rather use that expensive rock in your display. And playsand gives a lot more surface area than liverock.

Cyberslakkie
    Why over complicate the sump? Basically you got a skimmer, then return that actually feeds your biological section that overflows back to return... Any reactors like carbon or phosphate in future will be directly after skimmer. Before biological?

And the reactors will block up quicker if directly after skimmer, unless skimmer is taking all the water from overflow directly. But then no food or little amount of food reaches your biological to feed amphipods, worms and copepods.

Use the standard linear 3 chamber design. No need to over complicate. Also you need on your design a bigger return pump to drive 2 things. Where with standard design your return pump does what its name suggest it does.

19. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:welcomewave: Glad you're having fun! Tagging along with interest!

@dallasg

20. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi and welcome

You can get the foam from John Moffat, JMP

21. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

Welcome to MASA

Last edited: 30 Dec 2012
Recent Posts