Marine "journal club"?

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by brentch, 19 Mar 2014.

1. brentch

brentch

So after a bit of thought, I'd like to get some feedback on a proposal of mine...

Our hobby, whether we like it or not, is based on science. Indeed, we use it to decide on what organisms we keep together, what we feed them, the chemicals and hardware we invest in, and all this to provide our livestock with the closest living conditions to their natural environment (most of the time).

The choices we make are based firmly in empirical scientific practice, and relate to disciplines such as chemistry, physics, physiology, ecology, conservation, genetics, and engineering to name a few.

Thus, I was thinking of possibly hosting a "journal club" of sorts... While almost all of us are not scientists, this "club" would not be to discuss the semantics and statistical drudgery and bore that potentially comes with some papers.
    The thread would focus on your personal views on papers and any questions that arise from them.

One might think: "well, what's the purpose of something like this if I could easily get answers I am looking for by left-clicking into threads with the specific information I am looking for?"
    That is not the point of the proposed thread. It is more about reading around a topic, not aiming at answering specific problems or questions you have about reefing.

Every week a paper will be chosen, some accompanying information for the layman to help understand the paper may be included, and then we can go away and read the paper in our own time. A week or so later, we reconvene and give a few comments on the paper and how it relates to our glorious hobby. The week away allows one to read the paper and post any questions about the paper for us to address before the next week. The discussion will cater for the layperson in such a way that if a granny had to stumble upon the thread, she would immediately understand what's going on (No offence to the grannies on the forum:p). Plenty of analogies and simplistic understandings....

The journal articles will cover any topic that relates to having a marine aquarium and the broader topic of the marine environment... The articles will be in the form of research papers, short communications and reviews.

Rules: The thread will not be here to argue Richard Dawkins style. However, healthy debate will be encouraged. There will be an open question/answer policy. If you don't understand terminology-but want to, or if you don't grasp concepts you would be encouraged to ask... Anybody can then give a version of their understanding.

I would like to use freely available articles from publishers such as PLOsOne. This is so we can all access the papers and also so we don't infringe on any distribution/copyright laws.

A quick search has yielded some interesting topics, for example:

• Microbial Diversity and Potential Pathogens in Ornamental Fish Aquarium Water
    • Barcoding and Border Biosecurity: Identifying Cyprinid Fishes in the Aquarium Trade
    • Managing the Marine Aquarium Trade: Revealing the Data Gaps Using Ornamental Polychaetes
    • Revealing the Appetite of the Marine Aquarium Fish Trade: The Volume and Biodiversity of Fish Imported into the United States
    • Crawling to Collapse: Ecologically Unsound Ornamental Invertebrate Fisheries
    • Red Light Stimulates Feeding Motivation in Fish but Does Not Improve Growth
    • Harnessing Natural Recovery Processes to Improve Restoration Outcomes: An Experimental Assessment of Sponge-Mediated Coral Reef Restoration
    • Using Environmental DNA to Census Marine Fishes in a Large Mesocosm

Anyone can contribute or suggest literature...

These are just some ideas. Is it worth doing?
    Yay or nay?:whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

sounds interesting.
    Depending on the topic. And how discussed. Trick would be to exclude personal opinions, but include personal experience. Different things.

4. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

Ya, that would be important in not letting arguments getting out of hand, and having reefers wishing cracked panes of glass on each other:lol:

5. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

Yeoh, what a bunch of slackers:p

Scrap that, I have some other ideas... ;)

6. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Damn, I missed this thread...
    Get going in the advanced forum brentch

7. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

Thanks for the words Ivan, I was planning to post a paper once every week or two with a synopsis and maybe some words on how it relates to reefing and ocean/ecology/conservation etc.

Nothing too hectic. Anything awesome that comes up in in the popular science blogs etc...

Last edited: 26 Mar 2014
  8. Zandy

Zandy

Sound good to me !!! Add me to the mailing list !!! lol

Recent Posts