Marine Ich - Myths and Facts

dallasg

Reaction score
Reaction score
What is this guys background? We shouldn't take heed of everything on the net.

Broder

Mudshark
Reaction score
True, true.... although a lot of what he says is common knowledge. It's just that with marine ich everone has his own definite cure that he passes on as gospel to the newbie and so missinformation continues. This guy has just taken all of the common misconceptions and dispelled them in a way that is easy to read, unlike some of the scientific articles out there. But I take your point.

Reaction score
Cryptocaryon will encyst at high temperatures not survive as the guy said.

Copper will increase mucous production and can be lethal to dragonets as a result as they already have a thick mucous layer and this can suffocate them. The guy says that copper thins the mucous layer

dallasg

Reaction score
here it is, i follow his threads

I've been asked on more than few occasions about my background. I'll outline it here for those who are interested:

TIME LINE
1960 My first freshwater aquarium;
1968 My first saltwater aquarium;
1969 to 1973 Ohio State Univ.
1973 to 1982 Working in Microbiological fields
1982 to current Working in metals fields - traveling around the world

NOTEWORTHY FACTS RELATING TO MARINE FISH KEEPING

In the early 1970's I conducted experiments and studies on Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) and ornamental fish diseases, the use of garlic, the use of antibiotics, the use of dips, acclimation procedures, and fish nutrition.

I specialize in FOWLR system and FO systems. I have handled about 1700+ marine fishes and have learned a lot about their maladies and remedies through experience, biopsy/post mortem exams, dissection, operations under anesthesia, care, and continued education.

I have degrees in Microbiology and Chemistry from OSU. I was partner of an LFS in Columbus, OH in the early '70's, imported fishes from The Philippines, and helped begin the net-catching practices (abolishing cyanide collections) there.

I often attend conventions and hobby activities around the world.

I try to share my knowledge and experience with others to help their fishkeeping practices and the curing of ill marine fishes. I do not publish for renumeration, but will write long posts and informational posts on the Internet. I don't make any money nor accept any money from the hobby in any way, including speaking engagements, articles, posts, books, etc. I don't have any (financial or business) interest in any equipment, system, food, medication, or product used, sold, or made for the hobby.

My Internet name is leebca. My name is Lee Birch. (I go by my middle name -- my first name is William).

Broder

Mudshark
Reaction score
Cryptocaryon will encyst at high temperatures not survive as the guy said.

Copper will increase mucous production and can be lethal to dragonets as a result as they already have a thick mucous layer and this can suffocate them. The guy says that copper thins the mucous layer
He says that Cryptocaryon will survive between 40F and 90F making raising the temperature stressfull to fish.

"2. When water temperature drops, mucous coating is often reduced or lost in marine fishes, that is why sometimes MI becomes visible on the body of the fish after a sudden drop in temperature. This meant, however, that the disease was present and living in the aquarium, infecting fish without the aquarist having been aware of it."

He doesn't say that copper reduces the mucous layer.

Reaction score
I know what he says in the article and that's why I'm saying that we shouldn't believe everything that is written by people

Copper will increase mucous production suffocating fish like dragonets who naturally have a thick mucous layer and cryptocaryon not amyloodinium will encyst due to stress at high temperatures. This is from a book on marine diseases by Bob Goemans and Lance Ichinotsubo