Urgent help needed Marine Ich is killing my fish

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by jairus1, 30 Jan 2012.

1. jairus1

jairus1

Hi Guys, I am at my whits end now. I fear that i have been beaten by this marine ich. I have 2 marine tanks, 1 is a jewel rio 125 that i have been running for about a year now(never had any problems or sickness,exept red slime twice so far) and a 1.5m tank that is running for 2 months now.Disater struck about 3 and a half weeks ago, In my tank i had/have 4 clarki clowns(2 black and 2 yellow), 2 damsils, 1 foxface, 1 gold rim surgeon tang, 1 adult emperor angel. 3 weeks ago my foxface got the ich, i then treated with metronidozole and the following it was gone:thumbup:, then a couple of days later my surgeon tang got it and all hell broke loose in the tank, from the surgoen it spread to my angel, foxface and clowns. I started the metronidozole again and the treatment went on for 2 weeks(no improvement) I searched for answers on the internet, forums,and consulted lps. I am now in the stage of hyposalernity, this process i did over 4 days, bringing it down from 1.022 to 1.018.(because i have anemome and pollops) at the same time still treating with metro. I am running at 1.018 for a week now. No results. I again consulted a few lps, and was advised to use Microbe-lift Herbtana in cojunction with microbe-lift Artemiss in 12 hour intervals, which im doing, started the treatment on friday along with hyposalernity. On saturday morning i lost my gold rim surgeon, sunday lost my emperor angel, and today im losing my 2 black clarkis.(yet, up until the other fish died they were eating when i fed them) I have tested my waters throughout all of this and all parametres were fine... Now the first thing you guys are going to say is why have I not setup a qt, well no space, because im running 8 tanks at the moment, with all my various wild caught malawi species(im a breeder). That is why i was looking for options in treating main tank. So what can I do PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA!
    Sorry to hear about your problems.
    Just to clarify - the tank has only been running for 2 months?
    I suggest you remove the corals ASAP, dropping the specific gravity to 1.018 will most likely kill them, especially the anemone.

4. jairus1

jairus1 Thread Starter

the corals and anemone are the one thing that is doing good at this time, i have read that 1.018 is the lowest you can go for corals and anemone anything lower will kill them. And yes, the tank is running for 2 months, when i started this tank i used the liverock, water and filter media from my other tank that has been running for a year.

5. SteveZi

SteveZi

Oh man, white spot is just the crappiest thing ever.

There’s a bunch of threads on the forum dealing with the subject, but I want to add this link which is a good synopsis I think:

How To Treat Ich Diseased Fish with Formalin

Good Luck.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

7. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

First off welcome to MASA, sorry to hear about oll the problems at the moment. Secondly it is always a bad idea to mix medications so far you have mixed metronidozole, Herbtana and Artemiss you have to diagnose whether you have a viral, bacterial or a paracitic infection and treat accordingly. Most trearments for bacterial infections will kill your biological filter aswell causing more stress, please note i said most not all. What filtration are you running on this system and what are the water parameter readings esp Amonia, Nitrite and Nitrate? WS is normally brought on by stress and in most cases is caused by bad water conditions.

8. Zane de Beer

Zane de Beer

Jairus1...

1.018 sadly is not nearly low enough to get rid of white spot... for hypo to be effective, you have to drop down to 1.010 or preferably 1.009. At that level, it works, but it will still take some time.

As said in the previous post, get your corals & anemones out they will not survive prolonged duration in lower SG. Other than that, you can try Herbtana, but I have had no luck with it.

9. jairus1

jairus1 Thread Starter

@ Alan, im running the system on a sump. Aslo wrt to mixing medications microbe-lift herbtana is reef safe and can also be mixed with microbe-lift artemiss to boost the fish immune system(12 hours apart) That is what is stated on the bottle. I have just come back from testing my water and all parameters are good/normal. @ Zane, I do agree with what you are saying, but have also read that 1.018 can work but i will have to prolong the treatment, im a bit scared of moving the corals and anemone to my other marine tank as I dont want to infect that tank. Lastly, all this fish was bought at one petshop, and i am done buying from them, my buddy also bought his fish from there and is sitting with the same problem.

10. Alan

I am worried about mixing the 2 with metronidozole.

11. Alan

If i look back at the original post and sequence of events metronidozole is an antibiotic that is designed to kill bacteria, it cant distinguish between good and bad bacteria so would have had an affect on the biological filtration. Treating a paracitic disease with an antibiotic is not the best way to go, but did seem to clear it. Then a second outbreak occured on all the fish, at this point i would put money on the fact that there was a lack of biological filtration in the system which caused stress to the fish. Inverts/corals dont carry WS, so it would be fairly safe to move them, just be careful of the salinity differences between the 2 systems.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2012
  12. mytank

mytank

@jairus1 I feel your pain, I really do. I am busy going through what you have. I dosed Herbatana etc for over a month it does help but not fix or kill the WS.

There is the bucket method - you won't need tanks....

Then there is a cocktail of medicine, the link to @Nemos Janitor is in my "qt / copper"

And of course copper which u need hospital tanks.

I am leaning towards copper at the moment.

Sterkte (not afrikaans so mind the spelling ;))

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  13. Zane de Beer

Zane de Beer

@Alan, I am positive that although inverts and corals cannot get white spot, they can however be effective transport for the cysts and tomonts. I quote with reference to the often used white spot cycle diagram "http://www.ultimatereef.com/articles/whitespot/"

"Why quarantine my invertebrates? Well you can introduce trophonts, theronts or tomonts either with the water or on living rock or a coral’s skeleton"

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. jairus1

jairus1 Thread Starter

@Alan, I`ve stopped with the metronidozole and now only treating with the microbe-lift herbtana and Artemiss. The Artemiss im using to fight off the secondary infections because the 2 Clarkis that are left now have grey around their eyes. The 2 black clarkis just died, and the other 2 hopefully will make it, the foxface is still touch and go. He too has greyness around his eyes.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. 459b

What filtration are you running on the tank?
    When did the grey develop around the eyes?

16. jairus1

jairus1 Thread Starter

Im running a sump, the greyness i noticed on the clowns yesterday but the emperor angel and gold rim surgeon had it on friday

17. 459b

What is in the sump (protein skimmer, filter mat, crushed coral?)
    Never heard of fish getting grey eyes becasue of ich. What are your nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, pH and KH ?

18. jairus1

jairus1 Thread Starter

see pics, the first was my happy tank a month ago, then disaster

19. 459b

20. 459b

couldnt see any sump pics?

21. jairus1

jairus1 Thread Starter

@459b here is a pic of the sump

[​IMG]