Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Refugiums

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other - Please specify

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I was reading through a marine book from the 80's and was amazed to see how much has moved along in last 20-25 years.

I wondering what you think has been the best innovation for this great hobby.

Personally, RO and Synthetic salt are number one, as living inland means no NSW. I am sure this innovation has brought 1000's more into the hobby.

I am sure the coastal members will have different views :)

PS: Most of the options listed here, are only mentioned as future developments or cutting edge tech. in this book.

I voted on Skimmers. Without these, as with some other stuff, we could have a tank. These in my view are something special, i mean there are some monstrous skimmers out there and they reallly pull stuff out of the water!!!

voted DSB but
DSB, Refugiums and LR make things more natural and are just as important as each other and are complimentry

wont comment on skimmers :)

What about lighting. We couldn't keep SPS's, anemones or other light loving corals before. Vortechs are pumps that are beyond their years in what they can do. Prodibio is another. Airfreight brings those unusual fish and corals to us overnight from halfway around the world and to really split hairs and totally off subject, electricity, without which we wouldn't be able to have aquariums apart from goldfish bowls.

What about silicone sealer. Remember the old tanks that were reinforced with angle bar and sealed with putty.

I voted on Skimmers. Without these, as with some other stuff, we could have a tank. These in my view are something special, i mean there are some monstrous skimmers out there and they reallly pull stuff out of the water!!!

i voted r.o. and synthetic salt .....not because this is what we do....but because a marine system anywhere in the world could still survive without a protein skimmer.....the solution to poluttion is dilution...lol

nevertheless,a skimmer is a definate lifesaver and sure was a sweet innovation in making the hobby move forward in leaps and bounds:thumbup:

maybe a better 'innovation' is the knowledge difference between then and now. knowin more far outways equipment etc imo. you can have basic equipment and do more than a novice with the best out there. knowledge is power:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Back
Top Bottom