Marine fish tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ChrisJohnston, 5 Mar 2012.

1. ChrisJohnston

ChrisJohnston

Hi there my name is chris and i am glad to say that i am. A marine fish tank owner, i am so inpresed by the way the marine tank makes me feel and by the way you operate the tank. I have a long way to go as i want to get a new tank which is a 4 foot or even bigger as my small tank wont do it any longer.

Thanks to all and hope i can learn alot

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Electrician24

Electrician24

4. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Hi Chris,

Welcome to MASA. May your stay with us be an informitive one!

You mention that you already own a tank? Why not share more details on that? Share some pics?

What exactly do you have planned for your new setup?

Cheers

5. Wes

Wes

Welcome to Masa, hope you enjoy your stay.

6. ChrisJohnston

ChrisJohnston Thread Starter

My tank

hi thanks for the reply, well i have a 65L marine tank which is about 3 months old and am having a lot of problems with it as it is small and i don’t have a proper protein skimmer or a proper filtration system in place. i have recently been going for help at Exotic aquariums in boksburg and there is a guy there by the name of Donavan and what a pleasure to know the man, he is good and always willing to help no matter what. i have a regal tang, maroon clown fish, a rass, 2 x tube worms and a shrimp, I have 2 anenamies. If there is anyone who knows where i can get a bargain on a 4 foot fish tank with skimmer and everything please help as i am really struggling with the small tank. Thanks

7. ChrisJohnston

Thanks everyone

8. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...:1:..you can have a look at the For Sale Section...some good Tanks going at reasonable prices...here are the Links...
    Hardware For Sale/Swop - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    General Marine Sales - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Here are a few Links to give you some info regarding Marine Tanks in General...as I see you mention that you have...
    ..Anemone's should not be introduced into a Tank until it's about 9months till 1yr old...and you also have to "Nennie Proof" you'r Tank and also see if you have the Lighting it requires...:)
    New to Marines- Please listen!!!!!!!!!! - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Cover powerheads - karensroseanemones.net
    A Beginner's Guide to Keeping Anemones - Anemones

Starting a Marine tank - What to buy first - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Starting a Marine Tank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Ideal Water Parameters - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    What to test for and why - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

9. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Here is one going at the moment...maybe you can find out how much the Tank and Sump would be after the Livestock gets sold off...:)
    @ChrisJohnston
    FOR SALE 4FOOT TANK 1.2m x 0.650m x 0.720m - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome!

11. crispin

crispin

welcome to masa great to have you join.

sorry to hear that the first three months reefing havent been so easy for you, hopefully we can help you along the way.

im afraid the live stock you have in there is NOT suited for such a small younge tank. You realy need a decent sized, well matured system for the type of things you are trying to keep.

12. ChrisJohnston

Thanks

Thanks Crispin i will keep that in mind, i am defiantly going to get a bigger tank than the one i got as i am tired of stressing out about the tank the whole time.
    i will do my best to ensure that i am going to get things right in the tank as this is a huge learning curve for me and i really enjoy the hobby its really nice

13. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Hi there, welcome to MASA. I agree with Crispin, your tank is way too small for a tang, at least get a 4ft, but seeing that a Reagal tang gets so big, I would recommend nothing smaller than a 6ft.
    Anemones also need a mature and stable tank running at least 9-12 months, otherwise they might move around if not happy and get caught in flow pumps and get damaged and hurt, possibly causing havoc in the tank due to toxic bits and pieces floating everywhere.
    Please don't take this the wrong way, we're only trying to help and you might have not been informed about all this, but you can still fix it. I suggest you let someone keep the nennies for you until your new tank is settled, cycled and matured. Or otherwise sell them to reefers with the right tanks.
    If you missed this, check out the link below on starting a marine tank - awesome info ;)

15. ChrisJohnston

Thanks will do so, but just a question the anenamones are small and arent moving around, do i still keep them or do i sell. I have no problem getting rid of them just its the first things i had in my tank and am so attached to everything, but if i dont have a choice then ill have to sell them. Ya i think i a defenatly going to buy a 4 foot tank soon and buy the deltec protein skimmer. I have a lead on one so its not to difficult to get one for a good price. Thanks alot to everyones advice i really take it in a good way and you guys know so much more than me and i really appreciate it alot

16. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Can you perhaps post a picture of the nennies? Did you buy them from a petshop or did they come attached on some live rock?

17. Leon1975

Leon1975

hi chris welcom,just one warning this is a very adictiv hoby,i started of with a 500 liter then convirted to a 800 liter tank and can you believe it i now sit with a 2000 liter tank ann i am enjoying every moment of it igues you can call me a marine adict, and i am in boksburg as well good luck with your tank:)

Recent Posts