Marine fanatic

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Zoecious, 18 May 2009.

1. Zoecious

Zoecious

Hi everyone!
    I'm new here and I'm excited about this community as it will help me lots. I'm planning of buying a fish tanka and starting an aquarium. I've just spent hours on the net gettin tips. Firstly I want at least 10-12 fish in there of different colours. What size tank must I get? Also I have a thing about orange and black coloured fish, what fish are these colours and can they be kept together?

Also what else will I need to get for my fish? I'm moving into a new place end of this month so will be a bit short on cash to start with but would like to start getting things together ready to be installed in July.
    Sorry for so many question but hope you can help.;)
    Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. inflames

inflames

Welcome to MASA!!! Hope you enjoy your stay!

We are all here to help and give our honest advise! Where about do you stay?
    Have a look at the classified section as some great deals come along from time to time. Also have a look at our sponsors...they will also be able to help and give you advise!Also decide if you wanna keep Fish only with live rock or a reef aquarium. Remember that what ever you decide, take is slow! As slow as possible! This will pay off in the long run.

Also, the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain water quality, but will be more expensive when it comes to water changes. And also...never use tap water...always RO Water and a good salt is worth the extra cash! And always reseearch as much as possible and ask as many questions as possible...dont always take the 1st opinion to be the right answer!! Welcome again to this fantastic hobby!

Reef Maniac likes this.
  4. chikaboo

chikaboo

hi zoeicious welcome 2 MASA firstly its cool 2 b excited but remember this hobby requires alot of patience so dont rush things and you will b rewarded with endless pleasure enjoy your stay here
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Zoecious

Zoecious Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'm from Pietermaritzburg but moving to DBN month end.

6. seank

seank

A warm welcome to the forum

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome to MASA!

nice to hear you want to plan first, this hobby is very rewarding when doing things nice and slow.

as per your Q, you want 10-12 fish, i would say work to your budget, are u just planning on keeping fish? or will there be corals etc at a later date?

get the biggest tank you can afford to maintain, and/or space permitting. do you have any tank sizes in mind?

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA Zoecious :)
    Dont forget to join the East Coast Reef Club. Alot to learn and alot of local reefers to meet :)

9. scubaninja

scubaninja

welcometomasa

have a look at the links in my signature, you must come for some meetings if you can make it, its loads of fun and you are sure to learn stuff:thumbup:

10. seank

seank

Yeah, how to consume lots of alcohol in the shortest amount of time.. :lol:
    :1:

11. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA. See my answers in red

Reef Maniac likes this.
  12. Zoecious

Zoecious Thread Starter

I am planning to start slowly with just fish but I'd love to make it bigger and better by adding more as I go along (gain experience).

I have no ideas about sizes, I did however see an ad for a 3ft tank + canopy + 3kgs of gravel for R500. Will this house 10-12 fish and other things I might plan to put in? Is it a good deal even?

What is the canopy ised for?

13. dallasg

that is a good deal, but too small for 10+ fish, as tony said, go for 4ft or bigger, but i would look for a tank 1500x500x500 minimum for 10 fish and that will allow for great growth in the future

14. inflames

inflames

Agreed. start with a four foot at least. you will need a sump to. a 3 foot should do it as a sump. you will also need to modify it and add compartments! for skimmer DSB an return pump. you could get a biiger tank and use that 4 foot for your sump though! not a bad price. tell him R400 and you got a deal!!!

15. dallasg

once we have helped decided on a tank, we can them move on to sump, skimmer, lights etc

16. mayet

mayet

A warm welcome to the forum

17. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, hope you enjoy it with us. Please read through my signature for some great beginner info on how to start a marine tank - well worth the read.

Take it slow, follow advice and ask if something is unclear - we are all here to learn from each other and share experiences. Good luck and enjoy the homework :wave2:

18. Zoecious

Zoecious Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
    Wow so much to digest all at once. I'll go to the nearest pet shop and look for a tank the sizes you suggested then I'll let you know what I found next week. Yey now I'm even more excited!

19. scubaninja

scubaninja

zoe get the biggest you can afford. the bigger tanks are more stable but cost more. but i think a four foot is a good size to start with. but there is always a temptation to upgrade:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

20. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Zoe welcome

21. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Zoeicious.... It seems that our fellow members have taken nicely care of your questions.......

Please ask as many questions, as it takes, for you to become the BEST reef-keeper, you CAN be!

BTW: my answer would be, IF you can get one, go for a 1.2 metre setup. This would/should be the ABSOLUTE best tank to start off with....

You CAN start with a "nano" tank (a tank that is smaller than +-120 litres), but these tanks require a LOT of work, in maintenance, etc....
    And you can DEFINITELY NOT place 10 to 14 fish in a nano... The smallest tank that you can keep a minimum of 10 fish in, is a 1.2 metre....

Recent Posts