marine enthusiast seeking an industrial glass cutter(rolling wheel type)

Discussion in 'New Members' started by jclaas, 3 Sep 2012.

1. jclaas

jclaas

Hi Everyone

I am new to this site and would like to introduce myself.

I am a 21 year old male living in east london south africa. i have 2 large tanks which i am busy completing and repairing.

i want to know if anyone can please direct me to an industrial glass cutter supplier in South Africa. I bought a R25 Stanley glass cutter and it is not doing the trick.

Your help will be appreciated to the extreme

Juan

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. riyadh

riyadh

What is the problem? How thick is the glass you want to cut?

4. Rhyn

Rhyn

Builders warehouse or chamberlains have the one i use and it works beautifully. Its a green handle diamante wheel cutter made in Germany. cant remember the name but if you ask the staff there they will help. Remember to douse the area you are about to cut with paraffin and then make the cut (Very important). The cut must be one even movement from one end to the other but remember to push down hard enough to hear the cut happen. Once you have made the cut you put a pencil ( i use chop sticks) under the cut on the edge of the glass and then put even pressure on both sides of the glass until it breaks. I cut 12mm glass with it no problem. Good luck

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

@jclaas

what is it you are wanting to cut? most glazers will cut your glass to size for a small fee if anything at all, but it will be at your own risk..

if you need help contact me and i will try assist.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. jclaas

jclaas Thread Starter

glass cutter

Thank you for the positive feedback regarding my glass cutting dilema. I have noticed that my glass supplier uses the green handled cutter, however I don't seem to have a builders warehouse in east london. I should see what I can do or otherwise order it from the closest outlet. The stanley cutter I have is giving problems, the wheel is now getting stuck and It won't even cut thicker than 4mm. Its not always nice to keep bothering ones glass supplier for cuts... Once again thanks. Hope I come right

7. riyadh

riyadh

Yeah the green handle one is pretty decent, most hardware shops sell them. After some time they do have to be replaced, as it sound like your one is fairly well used or just a poor quality blade. If you dont want to bother the glazers then try a new one!

8. leslie hempel

the green handled ones are called Diamond, thats the brand name they are usually R20 bucks or so..

i got myself a diamond tipped cutter 2 weeks ago at the old servistar which i think is now Builders warehouse? R50

Last edited: 4 Sep 2012
  9. Ayoob

Ayoob

welcometomasa

10. jclaas

jclaas Thread Starter

@leslie hempel: Hi Leslie. How is the diamond tipped cutter treating your glaSs cutting, I was at old servistar as well (builders express) and saw that cutter, instead I went for the stanley cutter. It turns out my glass supplier says I was using the wrong cutting meduim, and method(was going over a cut twice) as a result. The stanley cutter. Apparently has a good tungston wheel. In any case I went to Burmeisters in in EL and got a Diamantor cutter with the green handle, so with the correct cutting meduim,method and cutter I am confident again to keep cutting glass :)!
    I must amend my glass supplier for the advice and free off cuts and cuts today: they are glassco in bowls road east london.

Thank you everyone for all your help, makes me wonder why I did not join earlier! Let us work together and help each other !
    Kind regards

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. Ed_Maddocks

Ed_Maddocks

Another small tip... Try applying some paraffin to the area you want to cut. This will lubricate the cutting wheel and give a smoother cut. The cheap cutters (green ones) are the best.

12. Rhyn

Rhyn

Hi Leslie.

Any chance you can post a pic of your diamond tipped cutter. Is it any diffrent from the green handled ones called Diamond. Not sure if you are talking about two diffrent cutters.:blush:
    Thanks

13. leslie hempel

yep, going over a cut twice is a no no.. one cut with equal pressure applied all the way through is all you need, as Ed suggests some parafin will assist in lubricating the cut line and yield a better cut..

then its down to pressure and how you apply it to break the glass neatly, the little knob at the end of the handle is for this...

14. leslie hempel

they are 2 different cutters, one has a wheel (green handled one) the other has a piece of industrial diamond attached to the tip of the cutting section (has a brown handle)

will try dig it out and take a pic toninght if i get home early enough.

15. Rhyn

Rhyn

Do you find the diamond tip better than the wheel?

16. leslie hempel

i do but thats my personal opinion..

17. jclaas

jclaas Thread Starter

Just an update with regards to glass cutter is that the Diamantor cutter with the green handle works well. It works even better if original wheel is replaced with a tungsten wheel - this you can try source at your nearest glazer.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2013
Recent Posts