Marine Betta or Comet

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals, i have the opportunity to get a really nice pair of Comets and would love to add them to my system. Now i have read that they can be hell on your shrimps but does this include the cleaners?
Second concern is smaller fish, do they hunt them at all?.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Alan -

I have had ONE of these most awesome fish in my tank. I can not say that the fish ever killed off any of my other fish. BUT - one problem though - I rarely saw the fish. It only came out when my tank was either lit by ONLY moonlights or if only some of my T5 actinics was on.

The fish only ate once a week.....

And no - it never ate any of my shrimps I had....

I did feed it lance-fish or pink shrimp though.... BUT - I NEVER ACTUALLY SAW IT EATING....

Unfortunately this beautiful fish of mine also died when I lost 13 of my fish.... :(

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Thanks Jacques, it is a beautiful fish and i dont mind it being shy infact i really enjoy shy fish as it is such a treat when you do see them lurking in the reef.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Yes Alan - it is indeed an amazingly beautiful fish. And quite hardy too, I would say.... They just don't eat much.... and prefer decent meaty foods - I usually just "put" some meaty foods close to mine's "den"....

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Is this the one?

AAAV05P13_12.jpg

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
At first when I googled "comet" it came up as a gold fish :p and then found this one under "marine betta".

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Well collected yesterday, and have not seen them since. Suppose will have to wait for them to settle.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Comets are doing great, Batfish.....sad story, wouldn't eat.

Reaction score
warr makes an interesting point there on the commet though. That beong if kept in an open system (like an LFS) for a while they may overcome mtheir shyness and venture out under brighter lights. Its a stunning fish i had a chance to look at warr's the other evening, which was happy enough to be visable (under the plastic egg crate! :) just teasing). but in all a lovely looking fish, if its tank mates are not food. On that note though seems like a small dotty back was holding his own and not being chomped:)