Marine Aquarium Council

Reaction score
Picked up on this from one of Kanga's posts and could not find a link to it on MASA.

http://www.aquariumcouncil.org/

Looks quite interesting but I did not see any mention of SA on teh site. Would also be interested to know if the MAC certified collectors and wholesalers are the ones that supply South Africa?

MAC for short. as far as i know we only have one MAC supplier in sa. Exotic aquariums.
Would love to buy mac cetified fish and corals

If we start insisting on it we could help change a few things, however we will pay a premium I would imagine.

But hey nothing good is cheap

Agreed with kanga , but for healthy stock i would rather fork out a extra hundred bucks than loose two or three hundred on unhealthy stock

I think it would also probably help with reducing the number of "fillers" that many LFS's seem to get in their shipments.

I have done a bit of research in to mac, but not enough to pass major coment on them, but from the feedback i recieved from them on a personal basis i was really pleased. They are rather strict with orders, but have heard they do put in fillers but not crappy fillers like the other suppliers.

Our time will come tho.

ANGRY nice avitar pic, Kanga you a lucky man.

Last edited:
I have done a bit of research in to mac, but not enough to pass major coment on them, but from the feedback i recieved from them on a personal basis i was really pleased. They are rather strict with orders, but have heard they do put in fillers but not crappy fillers like the other suppliers.

Our time will come tho.

ANGRY nice avitar pic, Kanga you a lucky man.

Thanks Tridan.:thumbup:

Yip the "fillers" seem to be a real problem with the LFS's. A lot of unsuitable stuff ending up in new and uniformed aquarists tanks

Agreed with kanga , but for healthy stock i would rather fork out a extra hundred bucks than loose two or three hundred on unhealthy stock

I agree in principle... but I have reasons to highly doubt that MAC (or any other such "volunteer" bureaucracy) is really the answer. However, MAC has recently undergone a big turnover in power, so maybe things will change...

But I should not that I'm a big LFS sympathizer and I DO NOT like what MAC does (without due justification) to many LFS.

I agree in principle... but I have reasons to highly doubt that MAC (or any other such "volunteer" bureaucracy) is really the answer. However, MAC has recently undergone a big turnover in power, so maybe things will change...

But I should not that I'm a big LFS sympathizer and I DO NOT like what MAC does (without due justification) to many LFS.

MAC is not a volunteer organization. It is a multi-million dollar non-profit with many full-time, paid employees.

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding MAC and LFS's.

MAC is not a volunteer organization. It is a multi-million dollar non-profit

My use of the word "volunteer" was meant to be sarcastic. I apologize for not making that more obvious... maybe I should have put it in quotes. And yes, they do waste millions of dollars...

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding MAC and LFS's.
Despite my suspicions, Steven (given your "interesting" posts on Reef Sanctuary and elsewhere), that you're only attempting to lure me into an unnecessary quarrel, I'll answer all questions/state all my opinions re MAC after my last exam (after 12/20). This subject could take some time to discuss thoroughly.

In any case, I do welcome you to MASA... of which I'm honored to say is ever quickly becoming my cyber "home away from home."

Welcome to MASA Steven!

Welcome to the forum steven, could you give us some more info regarding MAC.

What is it you want to know? MAC is an organization which alleged to help the marine ornamental industry reform itself while also helping the coral reef ecosystem and local communities which depend on fisheries monies. MAC has been around for about 10 years, spent tens of millions of dollars, and accomplished little. But, there is a new interim executive director of MAC now and in my meetings with him he seemed to realize MAC's shortcomings and honestly appeared to want to change things. The old executive director had much more of the feel of a politician, giving meaningless noncommittal but seeming nice sounding answers to hard questions.

Back
Top Bottom