Marine Aquarium Acclimation: Bridging the Specific Gravity Gap

Discussion in 'RSS Feeds' started by MASA Admin, 6 Nov 2014.

1. MASA Admin

MASA Admin Moderator

In today’s post, I’d like to address a very common issue marine aquarium hobbyists encounter when purchasing livestock (particularly fish) and offer a simple method for addressing it. The issue in question is how to deal with the dramatic difference in specific gravity (SG) that often exists between dealers’ display tanks and home aquariums when ... [Read More]

More...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yeah yeah,...

But what did the LFS do this morning when they landed the fish? Did they acclimatize it like that during the process to get the fish into their tanks?

Plus, this idea will work if you know beforehand, like a week or more, that a certain fish will arrive. Why change parameter in your stable quarantine for the odd change that next week Friday, that fish I want will be at the shop?

And, this article assume you got a proper temporary quarantine system. Yes it is the right way to do it, sure.... Not a lot of guys do have it.

This all sounds like a good idea. But I take it as one of those extra things we can do to over complicate this hobby.

4. ascheff

ascheff

Or you ask the LFS what SG they keep their tanks at, they say 1.025. You test the water in the bag anyway, just to be safe, only to find that it's at 1.017. You tell them next time you see them, and they look all surprised. It happened to me. Now I don't bother asking, just test every time.

Recent Posts