Maria

Discussion in 'New Members' started by mariasb, 5 Jan 2009.

1. mariasb

mariasb

Hi everyone

I had 3 tanks which I had to sadly part with when I moved. Want to start again. This time a natural sea tank. Help [​IMG]. Never had a marine tank. Time to learn.

Happy New Year One and All

[​IMG]

Maria

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome to MASA and the greatest hobby on earth, maybe the most expensive too.
    but well worth it

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Maria. Please read as much as you can and don't be shy to ask questions. We are all here to learn and help each other.
    Please research types of tanks, substrates, water chemistry, parameters and test kits. Filtration types (chemical, biological, mechanical). Lights depends on what you plan to keep in the long run. Do you want a fish and live rock system only or a full reef tank. Small pollyp stony (SPS) corals or large pollyp stony (LPS) corals or softies like leather corals and pincusions. Enjoy learning and read through the threads on the site, you'll gain a lot of info.
    Also ask before you buy, a LFS (petshop) is there to make money and might want to sell you stuff you don't need

:wave2:

6. MASA Admin

MASA Admin Moderator

Hi mariasb and welcome to Marine Aquariums of South Africa!

7. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Maria.

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hi welcome, great to have you on board, as the guys have said read as much as possible as knowledge is still the best investment in this hobby.

9. Al

Al

Welcome Maria

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA Maria! Great to have you on-board! I am very glad that you found us, and joined MASA!

You must have a look around LFS' (Local Fish Shops or LPS: Local Pet Shops) and go and identify some tanks that you might be interested in. Then, before you go out and purchase ANYTHING, come and tell us about it, and ask us questions. We do not have anything to gain, other than another successful reefer!

Read up as much on our other "New Members" threads, and then let us know if you have any questions. The only stupid question, is the one that was never asked!

Also have a look at the threads in our "Members Tanks and Setups" as well - check to see if you see any tanks that you like. Then ask questions based upon that tank....

The idea here is: first set yourself a goal. Then: ask us how we together can achieve your goal.

The biggest thing about your keeping marines - is PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE....

Good luck with your new journey into being a marine keeper!

11. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

12. seank

seank

masahello

13. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi Maria, and WELCOME to MASA and to this fascinating hobby.

By "natural sea tank" do you mean one with creatures from your local vicinity (cooler water, and no corals), or do you want a tropical reef-type tank?

I see that you live in Hartenbos, so your closest LFS will probably be in Cape Town. I lived in Riversdale some years ago, and there used to be a little pet shop in George that stocked some marines, but I believe that he has closed down since then. There also used to be a pet shop in Mosselbaai (called the Pet Shop Girls or something like that), which had a nice large marine tank in the shop as a display, but they did not sell anything marine.

Are you planning on using real (natural) sea water(free, but involves hard work, and could contain harmful critters or be polluted), or will you mix your own using artificial sea salt (less risky, but very expensive). When I stayed in your area I used to use real sea water, collected from Jongensfontein which is not too far away from you, although you should be able to collect from closer if you don't want to drive that far - just don't collect from Mosselbaai bay itself, or from anywhere close to any squatter camps.

Browse around the site, get an idea of what type of aquarium you want, and then discuss it with us - we will gladly try to help you spend your money effectively, without buying unnessesary junk which only enriches the pet shops...

Oh, and you might want to read this article as a start: Starting with Marines - Marine Aquariums of South Africa - wiki

Waiting to hear from you again...

Hennie

14. mariasb

mariasb Thread Starter

WOW this must be the most helpful place I have ever seen. Thanks for all the replies and help.

15. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome, we will get you going in the right direction right away..happy new year to you to.. enjoy..

16. seank

seank

:thumbup:Yip, here we do not play, weREEF!!!!!!!!

17. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

So, to ask again...

Hennie

18. crispin

crispin

Welcome Maria, very nice to have you on MASA. I hope you find a fun informative and enjoyable place to be:)

i see hennie has you in his sites which is the best possible pair of hands you could have you guiding into starting a marine tank, especially as he knows your area so well.

ask questions and give us an idea of what you would like to achiev and we will help all we can:)

19. mariasb

mariasb Thread Starter

Hi Hennie

How are you?

I would like to start a tank with sea water and fish ect that i catch in the sea.

Tks

20. werner5

werner5

WELCOME TO MASA MARIA

21. kalkwasser

kalkwasser

The best hobby in the world. :welcometomasa1:

Recent Posts