Many tangs

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by silvano14, 10 Sep 2010.

1. silvano14

silvano14

Hi guys,

So this is my thought. Looking at trying to get a school of tangs. I am thinking of a mix Regal Tang & Yellow Bellied Regal Tang, mix of Nasso Tang & Blonde Nasso Tang, Powder Blue and Powder Brown Tangs.

Numbers I am thinking 11, 7, 5, and 3.

How many of each? How do you add them?

Different sizes and if so which ones which sizes?

Thanks for the help.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

whats the size of your display tank?

4. silvano14

silvano14 Thread Starter

3 meters

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Do you have the water volume for us? Because you can have a tank 3000 x 1500 x 1200 or you can have a tank 3000 x 300 x 300. Very different in stocking rates.

6. silvano14

silvano14 Thread Starter

3000 X 750 X 750 plus sump 3000 X 600 X 500(deep) plus 2 50 liter buckets with dsb's in them

7. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

I think 26 tangs even in a 3m tank is over the top !

I would guess 10 or 12 would be a max? but i dont know what the tang experts will say

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

This sounds like a fantastic setup .... how about some pics ... BTW yhats a huge water volume....

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I agree. Even 10 may become an issue down the line. Especially if you want to try and keep powder blues.

10. silvano14

silvano14 Thread Starter

Even if they are all small ones, about 10cm or so.
    If 10-12 then what sort of numbers for each type.

11. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

IF i were to stock that number of tangs my preference would be something like 5 yellow tangs, and a mix of others 2 regals a 2 powders and 2 naso's but any time you have a lot of tangs it can be hit and miss In theory the yellows will school.... i would have no idea how to stock them ...... in tanks people generally try and get yellows or purple tangs to school the former being the more common and more successful. let me state upfront that i am personally against trying to get the purples to school, they are known to be pretty agressive

As NJ said watch out for white spot with the PB's

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Take a read through this thread, it will give you an idea of what i am saying.

Achilles and the Life Aquatic - Page 3 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

13. magman

magman

Imo, add the pb's last, they the one's most full of kak, and when you do add them, add them at once. Just don't feed extra for them, rather gradually increase the feed, however though in your tank that size I don't think it will even come close to denting the parameters.

By the way, when the pics coming.

14. durleo

durleo

I guess if you want schooling fish then go for Goldies or Chromis - Tangs tend to behave erratically and once ur fish are in the tank it not fun watching them tear each other to shreds. Regals school when they are small and cute. I have 2 yellow tangs together that have the odd scuffel - A powder brown(choose either a blue or brown)-Lavender Tang - Regal Tang.

15. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Tangs are the jeckel and hydes of the aquarium world.
    They can be full of shyte at times. I bought a powder brown, thinking it was one of the relative peaceful surgeons. Not so, he is a PITA every time I add another tang or foxface. Harrasses them no end.

Another tip, you want tangs, invest in a quality UV sterilizer. They are white spot factories. Over 3 weeks with white spot, my P/Brown started spreading the infection to some of his cell mates. It was only after installing a 55W UVS that I got the system back under control.

16. silvano14

silvano14 Thread Starter

Cool thanks for the advice. This is just an idea for now. Maybe a few different types will be a better idea and add them all at the same time.

17. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Considering that each tang in nature could have a territory as large as an Olympic swimming pool, your 3 meter tank is actually very small for even one large tang... I normally recommend that one should not keep more than one tang in a tank, but would concede that one tang per meter of tank might still give one a chance of being successful long term...

As NJ stated above, they grow pretty fast, and will become quite large in your tank - so consider their full-grown adult size when planning.

Hennie

18. silvano14

silvano14 Thread Starter

Will do thanks for all the advice. 3 Tangs sounds good. Maybe Brown Tang(As he is already in my tank) A Blonde Nasso and A Regal/Powder Brown.

19. flappy

flappy

I think it just depends on luck and fish personality. I have about 10 or 11 tangs at the moment and they don't fight at all. I recently added a sohal tang to my temporary holding tank as well as a personifer angel. No one even looked at the sohal but the tangs are going for the personifer so you never know. The powder blue and achilles tang have never even had a scuffle which is lucky.

20. Slummies

Slummies

my mate has a dotty, yellow and sailfin. they dont school but stick close together

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well, when I started, way back when I inhirited my brothers tank, he had 2 Yellow Tangs and 2 Sailfins. That was in a 500L 1.5L system. Well, they were there, but you hardly saw them. If one did dare to come out, all the others jump out and there was war. Then they all hide again. Sailfins fins were all torn into strips.

Today I got 3 tangs, Desjardini sailfin, chockolate and blond naso. And they are now 10-12cm and for the time being in a 1.2m 240L system. Well there are some real arguments going on now. 2 weeks ago they were still in my 750L 1.5m system, and happy, did not like each other, but no arguments.

So yeah, space is a problem. And I think even in a 3m system, you will run into problems.

But then again, overstocking prevents fish from claiming a piece of real estate. That could help you, but your filtration system must be good. And you should be able to handle power outages.

Recent Posts