Mantis Shrimp

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Jusman18, 9 Sep 2010.

1. Jusman18

Jusman18

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a second hand fish tank, scored the live rock as well as the water. I have been cycling the tank now just under 4 weeks and have noticed something cleared some sand away from beneath a rock. I spied on the tank using a red light (Infrared) and it seems I have a small mantis shrimp. It seems very small, and I dont think it will get much bigger than what it is now, as the guy I bought the tank from, has had the tank for 2 years already. I mentioned to him what I found, and he was not aware.

Do you think this is something to worry about? I have a snail as well, which seemed to catch a ride with the rock and is still going fine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Justin

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane

Dane

Hey Justin!

I was lucky enough to get given a troublesome mantis shrimp from a friend, after which I set up a little pico tank for it. What an amazing animal! So interesting and intelligent!

BUT! This same little character destroyed a lot of said friends livestock! And even a small one can be deadly! I strongly advise you catch him and remove him, and setup a small species only pico tank for it. Maybe next to your current tank and you just plumb it so that it runs off the main tank.

You can make a trap by cutting off the neck of a coke bottle and inverting it, reattaching it and placing a small treat (fish/shrimp/calamari) inside. Leave it in with the lights off till you feel a tug (or see it under the red light) and haul the critter out.

4. magman

magman

probably a pistol if it's so small, do you hear the tank crack at night?

5. Jusman18

Jusman18 Thread Starter

Hey Dane,

Thank you for your response. I will try and catch it. I havent even had a good look at it, I just see it hiding in its hole all the time. I am trying to lure it out to have a good look at it. It seems as if it is only about 5 - 7cm long. I plan on getting hermit and star fish etc in the tank and it is a small 130 Litre tank and dont want to lose any additions to unneccesary deaths.

I will try and catch it and possibly give it away.

Thanks again.

6. Jusman18

Jusman18 Thread Starter

Hey Magman,

I havent heard anything yet, the tank is in the lounge. Maybe I will sit tonight and see if the little guy shows himself. maybe drop a piece of hake in the tank and see what happens?

what is the difference between a pistol and mantis? when I see it sticking its head out from his hole, he looks very much like a mantis.

Thanks,
    Justin

7. dropzone newbee

dropzone newbee

hey justin

i had a mantis shrimp a few months back that i found in my live rock !!
    the little critter was very cool and about 1 cm in length !
    after about 3 months he was triple the size and still dwelling in his little hole in the rock
    in this time i mysteriously lost about 10 anthias and 4 sand gobies !!
    all other larger fish were fine
    i asked the guys on the site and i placed the manti in my sump , with his live rock
    no fatalities since !!
    so -- not sure , but almost certain you should remove him

good luck! pity , as its a very interesting little creature

8. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I am Danes said friend. My mantis shrimp was also about 5-7cm when i finally had to take down my tank to catch it.
    Dont let size fool you, as in Dropzones tank, mine caused massive damage, killing fish larger than itself.
    I advise you rather take it out now, before you put any more livestock.

9. magman

magman

The pistols are generally black and grey coloured, sort of splotches of both colours, you do get other colours though especially ones that host in sps, they usually reds oranges and are harmless unless a fish pecks on the sps, it's more a symbiotic relationship. Generally The pistols have the claws that look like the lobsters that the guys get in other countries, with the big monstor claws, usually one is much bigger than the other. If it is a pistol, you should hear it cracking at night, all night.

The mantis shrimps, their face looks sort looks like that alian in the movie, Predator, with Arnold Swarzzenegger, all diferant colours, some nice ones too.

I hate pistols, I don't know why, I have taken like 30 out my DT, but I truelly can't blame them 100% for any damage, I did have a baby regal tang that got klapped by something, and I blamed the pistols, don't know why.

Both should have a series of rocks that they burrow under, check under all your LR for burrows. If it is pistols, get a duoiti, the neon ones, they sort out all your pistols chop chop.

10. magman

magman

Check Mouse's avatar, that's the more common pistol's colour, you can't really see the face or the claws, but the colours at least.

Last edited: 10 Sep 2010
  11. Jusman18

Jusman18 Thread Starter

I dont think I can fit a coke bottle in my tank to catch it. Its a small tank, and the hole in which is belongs, is in the corner... how far out can you lure the guy?

ALSO!!!! I added shrimps this weekend, cleaner, peppermint, red fire and boxer... dropped a few small pellets to feed them.. and what comes out to show its face for the first time.. a Gorilla crab... something I need to catch as well.

Any help on alternative methods to catch these guys would be greatly appreciated.. I dont want to move rocks around etc.

Thanks again

12. rakabos

rakabos

fishing line and a hook ? lol i dunno its so hard to get em once there are hiding spots!

13. Jusman18

Jusman18 Thread Starter

he he he, that is always an option.. maybe with a piece of ham... thats how we used to catch them when we were kids... lol.

Thank you for the corals Rakabos, all of them were open and hapy this morning.

14. rakabos

rakabos

cool bananas. Those orange zoas really pop once they fully open. I am serious about catching the crab with a fishing line and hook :p

15. magman

magman

use a 500ml coke bottle, turn the top inside out. Or if you know which rock he sits on, get a net ready, lift the LR and net him. If he parks in the LR in a whole, poor some fresh water in the hole.

16. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

adding shrimp was not a good idea. Going to make using a trap very difficult.

Best (and probably only) bet is going to be removing the rock its on.

17. Mouse

Mouse

18. Jusman18

Jusman18 Thread Starter

Hey Mouse,

Thank you for the info, removing the rock is a last resort and will definately be an option if it causes problems. I recently added some shrimps to my tank and havent had any issues yet. Do you think a boxer shrimp can sort the mantis out? Its like 50 times its size?

19. Dane

Dane

Hey jusman. Now that you've added livestock. Removing the rock is actually the only option. You will lose livestock with a mantis in your tank. very silly move imho... They can be atrociously difficult to remove, and your other inverts are far more likely to get into the trap than the mantis. I would take the rock out and try flushing it with colder salt water.

20. Jusman18

Jusman18 Thread Starter

Hey Dane,

You are right... I hate the fact that I need to dismantle my rock to get the guy out.
    Does anybody want the little guy when I catch him?

21. Dane

Dane

Hope someone decides to adopt him. They make awesome pets in a little pico.
    Watch your fingers when you take the rock out ;-)

Recent Posts