Mantis shrimp questions

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by wiesnerm, 21 Dec 2009.

1. wiesnerm

wiesnerm

I think I have a mantis shrimp in my tank. I have been hearing some cracking/clicking sounds in the tank for about 2 months now. From reading on the forum, my first thought was that it might be a mantis shrimp. I looked and looked and looked and did not find anything.

Then on Friday when feeding the tank frozen brine shrimp a saw something quickly darting out of a rock and back in. Afterwards I looked closely to where I saw it and saw feelers and 2 eyes on little "sticks" looking out of the rock. Last night during feeding time, I looked again and it dashed out for food again. It is about 3-5cm in lenght, but by the quick view it does not look like a shrimp. I don't know how they look when they are swimming around.

It must have arrived in a piece of rock that I bought with mushrooms about 3-4 months ago, as I have not added any other live rock into the tank around that time (or how long can they stay hidden before making their appearance?)

I have not lost any of my fish or shrimps, except a new purple fire goby that I purchased a week and half ago, that I have not seen since... (But it might still be hiding) Some of my Zoa's seems to be disappearing and I was wondering if the mantis might have something to do with it?

I am now in 2 minds if I must try and catch the bugger (as it will grow bigger and might become an issue) or to leave it (as it is leaving the other inmates alone). Any advise will be welcome...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sentari

Sentari

hmmmmmm you have no idea how tempted i am to start a mantis shrimp tank and help you catch yours :)

Sounds like a mantis shrimp... dont think it would touch your Zoa's. You dont have any angels do you?

4. Anemone

Anemone

5. Anemone

Anemone

They are neat to watch when kept in tanks by themselves. A close friend of mine has one. When I visit I usually find myself spending too much time in front of the mantis tank watching it eat and rearranging its home.

6. Zuna

Zuna

ive heard that they able to brake glass is that true

7. Sentari

Sentari

Once i saw Lanzo's i was hooked! Sat there watching it! Was amazing!

Yep usually you need 10mm to 12mm glass depending on the tank. Lanzo's one doesnt really hit the glass.

8. Anemone

Anemone

Yes

9. wiesnerm

wiesnerm Thread Starter

I do have a coral beauty, but it has been behaving (in any case during the day when I can watch him). It might be him...

10. Falcon

Falcon

the cracking/clicking sounds quite loud ?if so then you could also have a pistol shrimp...some like them but most consider them a mantis threat lol as they will kill and eat cleaner shrimps etc...

11. wiesnerm

wiesnerm Thread Starter

I have a cleaner shrimp that moved from its normal spot in the tank to a much higher position in the last week. I do not know if it might have been harressed by the (possible) pistol shrimp?? I also have a red fire shrimp which migh then also be under threat.

I think I will have to catch this creature before it is causing any troubles...

12. Falcon

Falcon

13. wiesnerm

wiesnerm Thread Starter

During the Christmas break, I decided it was time to get rid of this little buggar. I monitored it for a few days and it was always in the same hole and did not move around. I did not want to frustrate myself in the same way as reading in some of the other threads. I took out the rock (right at the bottom.... ) and used a piece of wire and poked into the hole for a few times.

The cracking sounds stopped and I hoped that I got rid of him. Then about 3 days afterwards I saw some strange thing floating in the tank and it looked like the corpse of the mantis. The CUC got rid of that.

14. Warr7207

Warr7207

It may just be an exoskeleton, your mantis is growing :y13:

15. vatso

vatso

They are so so cool - I want one!!!

Warr your Mantis is very cool!!

16. wiesnerm

wiesnerm Thread Starter

I know you like them Warr, but I hope not that this is the case:whistling:. I will be monitoring the cracking sounds to see if it is still around or not.

17. Warr7207

Warr7207

You won't hear it for the next week or so as the new skeleton hardens :whistling:

18. vatso

vatso

wiesnerm - if it's not dead I will take it from you - they so cool :)

19. magman

magman

I think if it is making the noise it is the pistol. I hate them, I do not know why but I am stubborn over them but I get them out of my tank. I have probably got rid over over 20 in the last year. Also the gobys and pistols are supposed to be mates, so I don't think that they eating each other. Probably hiding, my fire gobies hid for nearly a month. A month after I got them my wife asked me where I got them from......

Recent Posts